OT: Movie Remakes and Adaptation requests

zeronyne

• Members

1. The Six Million Dollar Man

I'd like to see a non-ironic non="wink wink" take on this franchise. I don't want Ben Stiller or The Rock to play Steve Austin. I don't want it set in the 70s. I'd like to see it treated as serious Sci Fi.

2. The Watchmen

If you are not a comic book junkie, please skip on to 3. This needs a LOTR treatment. I hear that it's been greenlighted again. I hope they don't mess it up. Whoops, too late.

3. Space 1999

Martin Landau was so cool. A very Eurostyle show. It would make a great movie if they didn't CG it to death.

4. The Dark Tower

Stephen King's 8 volume Magnum Opus that also ties in almost half of his books is worthy of respectful treatment despite the fact that he completely ran out steam at the end. It would need to be 4-5 movies.

• Members

Originally posted by zeronyne

3. Space 1999

Martin Landau was so cool. A very Eurostyle show. It would make a great movie if they didn't CG it to death.

I think the title would have to be changed for obvious reasons.

"The future, Conan?"

"In the yeaaaar two-thousaaaand!"

• Members

Yeah, Six Million Dollar Man and Space 1999 could be great movies! I used to love those shows as a kid.

I'd like to see a really good Fantastic Four movie. As far as I'm concerned, it still hasn't been made. I had such high hopes for last year's FF flick, and it just didn't do the trick.

If someone could make a good film out of Tom Robbins' Still Life with Woodpecker, that could be a classic.

• Moderators

Wizard Of Oz

I want it to be rated R because of the extreme and intense horror that Dorothy and crew survives in the haunted forest and finaly the carnage that occurs once they meet up with green face.

Dakota Fanning as Dorothy

The guy from Moulin Rouge who was the MC as the Wizard

Willem DeFoe as the Scarecrow

Adrian Brody as the Tin Man

Philip Seymour Hofman as the Lion

Ryan Adams would be the troubador that narrates the story and sings songs for seques in the foreground yet never seen by the main players (Cat Balou).

Tim Burton and Elfman of course.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Lee Knight

Wizard Of Oz

I want it to be rated R because of the extreme and intense horror that Dorothy and crew survives in the haunted forest and finaly the carnage that occurs once they meet up with green face.

Ryan Adams would be the troubador that narrates the story and sings songs for seques in the foreground yet never seen by the main players (Cat Balou).

After thinking on it I guess Johnny Depp would have to end up somewhere in there... maybe as a flying monkey or an apple throwing tree..."Hey! How'd ya like someone pulling apples off of you?"

• Moderators

Citizen Cane.

Done in Pulp Fiction style with Tarantino directing. B & W with color montages a la Natural Born Killers.

Mike Myers doing his first serious role making the same transition Bill Murray and Robin Williams made. Mos Def as his long time cohort.

Music by Issac Hayes with The Chemical Brothers.

• Members

"The Ropers".

If they could spin off from "Three's Company" to have their own TV show, they must be strong enough to carry a 3-hour blockbuster movie.... yes?

Let's face it - when "Dukes of Hazzard" becomes a feature film, virtually anything's in the running.

• Members

I generally not of the "a movie would be the ultimate ver of a story" -- I actually like audiodrama the best

but a couple of adaptations that might be neat

-Incarnationf of Immortality series...(on a Pale Horse, etc) I think a LOT could be done there and I think it would be readily scalable and visual-friendly

-Ender's game (I don't know If I'd bother will the whole Enderverse saga)

- Snowcrash (I think that's the Stephenson that would work well in a narrative where the 'expository' parts could get explained will within the plot as opposed to these side trips)

• Members

Wizard Of Oz

Now.. THAT's something I might have to check out... except if Ryan Adams is the troubador -- I think we should cut to the chase and give him the same fate as Jonathon Richman at the end of Something About Mary -- only at the beginning of the movie -- about midway through his first song... (Richman was the only reason I can imagine to see 'Mary'... I never didn't laugh so hard. They almost won me back when the capped off the Richman troubador character, though. That was amusing to this Richman fan.)

• Members

I'd love to see the Six Million Dollar Man done...and yeah, as serious science fiction. Doesn't have to be too serious...

Space 2099 doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but okay...and really, just about anything Martin Landau has ever done completely rules. What a fantastic, underrated actor ths guy is.

• Members

Liked Season 1 of 1999 -- then they tried to "punch it up" and make it more action packed...which I thought was kind of lame

They even changed the weird intro where they just sort of stand there and then swivel in their chairs

I liked how they'd show scenes from "this espisode" AT THE GET GO!

I'd hate to see it go CG, I mean it was a Gerry Aderson!!!

• Members

TV shows to remake:

The Name of the Game (update for TV)

All In The Family (for HBO or another uncensored cable outfit) - America NEEDS this show!

Mannix - the coolest P.I. in TV history!! (for USA or TBS)

Green Acres - with Matt "The Simpsons" Groening as the creative director

Gay versions of Gunsmoke, The Virginian, and Daniel Boone (for Bravo)

Columbo and McCloud - Have them alternate weeks, just like in the 70's

Good Times - a better show in the 70's than any of the black sit-coms today

Perry Mason - Kevin Spacey goes small-screen a la Keifer Sutherland.

The Invaders - This was the creepiest show ever. Speilberg as Executive Director, and give it a decent budget.

...and I'm going to go out on a limb with this one...

The Ed Sullivan Show - okay, it won't be Ed, but I'd love to see a diverse, hip, show with a mix of comedy, music, acrobatics, skits, etc. Kind of like a cross between Letterman, SNL, and Cirque du Soleil, but hipper than all three. Something for everyone in each hour, male, female, any age, any background. Like a guy juggling chainsaws followed by a girl who can rap really fast, then some amazing daredevil stunt. Opening monologue by a different guest comedian every week. Two appearances each show by a hot new music group. Repeating gags like "The Amorous Librarian" or "The Naked Comedian". This would fill the void that a lot of the "reality" crap is filling now. Maybe even have a guest host a la SNL.

• Members

I've always wondered why William Pene DuBois' children's book "The Twenty-One Balloons" never was adapted into a feature film. Very cool story, lots of possibilities with today's special effects.

That is, so long as they didn't ruin it as Disney recently did with "Around the World in 80 Days."

• Members

The Omega Man/ aka "I Am Legend"

This is a project that's been floating around hollywood for some time. The 90's rumors had Arnold in the lead, but he never committed to it.

Heard recent news this is now finally in pre-production with Will Smith taking the lead role... Niiiiice script too!

Here's a link to the script - Screenplay by Mark Protosevich

• Members

that'd be cool!

Another I'd like to see done (right)

Is I, Robot (Harlan Ellison took pains to make a real script for it a few years ago...one that was actually I Robot..not a std action movie with the title pasted on it for cred)

• Moderators

Originally posted by Counterpoint

Columbo and McCloud - Have them alternate weeks, just like in the 70's

Great ideas... but half the fun and magic is in the casting. So who gets to do Columbo?

Paul Giamatti!

McCloud?

I'm stumped...

• Members

Great ideas... but half the fun and magic is in the casting. So who gets to do Columbo?

Paul Giamatti!

That's brilliant! Or Jerry Stiller maybe? (Peter Falk is Jewish.)

McCloud could be played by Sam Elliott. Or for something different, James Cromwell?

• Members

Well, I guess I ned to be more specific in my wishes. :(

Knight Rider is coming to the big screen.:eek::rolleyes:

Larson has bandied about the project for years. "A number of people wanted to do a pure comedic send-up of it, but I always felt that would throw away the franchise," he said. "There was always some humor on the show, but this film will probably have more gallows, foxhole humor.

Gallows humor. For a talking car.:freak:

But wait, it gets better.

Larson wouldn't say whether David Hasselhoff, who starred in the series, would appear in a cameo or if William Daniels would reprise his role as the voice of K.I.T.T.

Other Larson TV series being developed as film adaptations include "Magnum, P.I." at Imagine Entertainment and "The Fall Guy" at Warner Bros. Pictures.

• Members

I've heard they're working on an "A-Team" movie as well, with a possible Mr. T cameo. Uhhh, whatever.

As long as they are reworking every available PI series, "The Rockford Files" would be a good fit for somebody. James Garner could play Rocky now that he's like, old.

Speaking of the Six Million Dollar Man, The real guy recently passed on

Film footage of Peterson's crash was seen in the opening credits of the series.

But unlike Majors' Steve Austin character, who gained superhuman powers after parts of his body were replaced with advanced "bionic" technology, Peterson underwent conventional surgery after narrowly escaping death.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Billster

As long as they are reworking every available PI series, "The Rockford Files" would be a good fit for somebody. James Garner could play Rocky now that he's like, old.

The Rockford Files was such a good show. Like I said earlier, the casting is it, man. The Rockford Files wouldn't be anything without the perfect lead.

So who's the perfect lead for The Rockford Files? He can't be too flashy, he lives in a trailer right? He's got to be handsome and charming, drive a cool car, but be real. He's got to have seedy friends but be distant from that lifestyle... rolling his eyes in mock dispair at loser behaviour.

Who's that guy that could play Rockford?

Archived