What's with the haircuts of these bands?

Ryst

• Members

Will these "rock n roll comb-overs" be made fun of in a few years? It seems like everyband now has this hair cut and it seems more important than the music. These are bands take themselves seriously too. Anyone else notice the overabundance of this hairstyle? Here is an example:

cover_214mar06_md.jpg

• Members

These guys (on a recent cover of Keyboard) gave me the shudders... I have no idea what they sound like but one of my friends who, unlike me, is certifiably hip, was using them as exemplar of lamebandhood.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/Pictures/Thumb/v/o/g/KM_0406.jpg

(That picture is far too small to really capture the awfulness of their haircuts [which, of course, is totally subjectvie; no such thing as a bad haircut, etc :D ] )

• Members

Originally posted by Ryst

Will these "rock n roll comb-overs" be made fun of in a few years? It seems like everyband now has this hair cut and it seems more important than the music. These are bands take themselves seriously too. Anyone else notice the overabundance of this hairstyle? Here is an example:

cover_214mar06_md.jpg

No, you

• Members

Originally posted by Beck

... My question for this funny looking generation is
what happens when your tattoos that cover your arms, neck, torso, etc go out of style?

That train left the station a while back... being covered in tats is pretty much a thing of 30-45 year olds around here, now... it's an old man thing... all over again. There are still a lot of piercings... which makes me think that people are more thinking twice about making permanent changes.

I could walk around today with slightly spikey haircut I had in 1981.

In fact, when I cut my once-bottom-of-the-rib-cage pony tail in '73 down to a close cropped-punk-ready cut -- at a time when all the used car salesmen and cops were just adopting long hair... I decided that real style comes from inside you.

I guess, having embraced the hippy thing pretty fully, going through years of scaring old people and having to hassle with GIs and self-styled rednecks (not the real kind, the 'adopted-attitude' kind), I guess I was a little more nuanced in my approach to punk/post-punk styles.

And NO ONE ever saw me in a rave hat...

:D

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

That
train left the station a while back... being covered in tats is pretty much a thing of 30-45 year olds around here, now... it's an
old man
thing... all over again.

I didn't really see the tattoo thing take off in the mainstream until the last 10 years. I mean like average kids thinking it was ok. And now we have TV programs like "Inked" on the "Arts & Entertainment" network. Ha! That just kills me... I remember when A&E first started up. Now a show about tattoos? What the

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Storm

It's the emo-cut. Get over it. Hey, at least it's not as bad as the fauxhawk!

So that's what it's called???

I've been wearing a longish cut like that for years. It never occured to me that it would become the 'in thing'.

Looks like I was Emo, when Emo wasn't cool. :D

Funny too, I was just thinking about getting it all cut off and spiked.

Hmmmm...What'd ya think? Should I ride this one out, or buck the trend?

Originally posted by Ryst

Will these "rock n roll comb-overs" be made fun of in a few years?

Hey, it looked hip enough on Ray Manzarek.

ray.jpg

I always called it the Late 70's Computer Geek cut

Ya know? Like Bill Gates

gates1.jpg

Or like Steve Jobs

woz_jobs.jpg

The Emo cut just has late 70's computer geek written all over it!

Originally posted by Beck

I

• Members

Making fun of young bands' haircuts is a sure-fire sign you're getting generation-gapped.

As one of the older Gen-Xers, I'm enjoying seeing the Gen-Y people start to grow up to the point they no longer really relating to Gen-Z.

Ha ha! :p

- Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

As one of the older Gen-Xers, I'm enjoying seeing the Gen-Y people start to grow up to the point they no longer really relating to Gen-Z.

Ha ha!
:p

+1, haha, Jeff, you are so on-point here! :thu:

cheers,

Ian

• Members

These guys (on a recent cover of Keyboard) gave me the shudders... I have no idea what they sound like but one of my friends who, unlike me, is certifiably hip, was using them as exemplar of lamebandhood.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/Pictures/Thumb/v/o/g/KM_0406.jpg

(That picture is far too small to really capture the awfulness of their haircuts [which, of course, is totally subjectvie; no such thing as a bad haircut, etc
] )

THIS issue happened to be the last in my subscription and one of the reasons I'm not renewing. The garbage content has increased significantly in that rag.

• Moderators

In fact, when I cut my once-bottom-of-the-rib-cage pony tail in '73 down to a close cropped-punk-ready cut -- at a time when all the used car salesmen and cops were just
adopting
long hair... I decided that real style comes from inside you.

'73? Jesus Blue, you were ahead of the curve on that one. Mine didn't come until '79. You must have been considered a freak in '73 to have a spiked doo. I'm proud to say I know ya!

Archived