Anyone have a good "mistake"?

• Members

Macca's "Let Me Roll It" - the bit where that extra beat gets inserted, which I think is the highlight of the song, was apparantly a tape editing mistake that they liked so much they kept.

On of my songs I programmed the midi in an easy key, and later transposed everything. Except I accidentally didn't transpose the very last bar, so on the final fade out there was an unexpected chord change that sounded so cool I kept it.

I like "happy accidents". I seemed to get a lot of these when I used a four track recorder. It's a bit harder to screw up with DAW editing. Harder, but not impossible.

• Members

There's a spot in "Up For Me" where my voice cracks, and the note ends up a squeak instead of a power note. I wanted to re-record that bit of vocal but the rest of the band as well as the sound engineer loved it, they felt it gave the song a live feel that was missing, so we we left it in.

Every time someone hears it that isn't familiar with the song, they break out in a smile. It makes the song sound very genuine, not overly polished.

• Members

Originally posted by cherri

There's a spot in "Up For Me" where my voice cracks, and the note ends up a squeak instead of a power note. I wanted to re-record that bit of vocal but the rest of the band as well as the sound engineer loved it, they felt it gave the song a live feel that was missing, so we we left it in.

Every time someone hears it that isn't familiar with the song, they break out in a smile. It makes the song sound very genuine, not overly polished.

I had a similar thing happen in Hell Ain't Cool . I had , what I thought was a better take, but my wife said that the version with the crack had more "feeling"...so I mixed it in.

I'm a drummer with limited knowledge of chord structure. My first songs were all based on pure Major chords to be safe, but later on, I started experimenting more . I quicky realized that some of these "off notes" could give a song more feeling.

One of the most interesting mistakes I made was on Nice but What's The Price " . I originally recorded that with straight 1/8 notes but quantized it "wrong" and it got a cool shuffle feel !

Dan

• Members

In the original 1965 Righteous Brothers version of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin": on the middle breakdown part, the vibraphone comes in and the player accidentally strikes two bars with one mallet, creating a dissonant minor 2nd. :confused:

Phil Spector was known for being anal retentive in the extreme, and would sometimes do 72 takes of a song in one session... but for whatever reason, he saw fit to leave this clam in.

• Members

Back in the highschool years my drummer and I were recording guitar and drooms together. There was a spot in the song with a break before we kicked back into a chorus. Well, we got to that spot, we sat there for maybe half a beat whe n the god damn phone rang. We finished the song and listened back and it sounded awesome! That was magical..

Joseph K Murphy

• Members

That same thing happened on an early Ben Folds FIve album 'Whatever And Ever Amen'. The tune "Steven's Last Night In Town" had the phone ring on the very last break, near the end of the song. As I understand it (and I could be wrong), it was a neighbor calling to complain about the noise.

What I like the most about that moment is that even though one of the guys starts laughing, the whole band isn't fazed in the least; Ben just keeps holding that note, the band kicks back in (and it was a track that also had some live horns and woodwinds on it, so there was a ton of people in the house), and finishes the tune like nothing happened.

Archived