Tecno Time Signature

• Members

Yes, but I noticed they still managed to squeeze the original 5/4 tune into a 4/4 beat for the remake. Butchers.

Prog rock was full of odd time signatures. I see no reason not to use them for techno - but the techno police might accuse you of departing from true techno.

3/4 is hard not to sound like a bad waltz. 6/8 or 12/16 might work. I like 5/4 and 7/4, but can only think of rock songs that get this clever. (Jethro Tull - Living in the past, or Pink Floyd - Money).

I guess this stuff throws of dancers, so they are not likely to be popular in a dance genre.

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

Yes, but I noticed they still managed to squeeze the original 5/4 tune into a 4/4 beat for the remake. Butchers.

Kiwiburger, i knew you will coming with that one. I gave it up to bring in anything above the klassikk crescendokk roll with 32nds in the last bar of A shortly before it goes to A with the monster saw hookk.

Not to think about a 7/4, i would loose my tekkno kiddies, however i found out thru the years that they like a constant pattern of 4-and-a-half over three if it stays that way all thru the night. Ohh, that brings back some memory, Thomas asked me so circa 1992 if he can make a little mix for the party at the weekend of the euro tune we where working on, yes of couse i said but make a video of the party for me, he recorded the kick only, and when he showed me the video there where 1500 people jumping to the kick for more then 30 minutes, i heard that this kick is still mixed in today

:D :D :D :D

• Members

Greek people can dance very well to many odd time signatures, many of which do NOT have 4 as the denominator. Maybe somebody from Greece will figure out a way to use these time signatures in Techno such that they aren't arrested.;)

• Members

Remember the 5/4 song "Ev'rything's Alright" in JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR?

Try not to get worried,

Try not to turn onto

Problems that upset you

Oh... don't you know

EV'RYTHING'S ALRIGHT, yes

Ev'rything's fine... etc.

...and in the same show, some great 7/16:

Nazareth your famous son

Should've stayed a great unknown

like his father carving wood, etc.

But as far as techno goes, I'd be surprised to see other meters than 4/4. Conceivably you might see a techno piece in 2/4, especially if it had the rhythmic suggestion of a samba or a lambada, the Brazilian rhythms which are typically thought of as being in 2/4.

That said, a lot of techno, especially when it's influenced by hip-hop sensibilities, will have strong tendencies towards eighth- and sixteenth-note triplets under the 4/4 heading.

Polkas are in 2/4. You're European, aren't you? a techno polka could actually be a very exhilarating dance. Why not invent one? :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

>

i'm waiting for decades till someone reduced dance floor back to 2/4. But not me, i will reduce it to 1/4, would know for years how to do it but are afraid they would bind me to a cross outside the city walls, either that or getting gramminated in Germany.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Not just country 'n' techno -- SWISS country 'n' techno! How cool!

The above Cotton Eye Joe example was from a Swedish group...Swiss, Swedish, They all look the samel heheh. :)

Also there's KLF's "Justified and Ancient" with guest vocals by Tammy Wynette, and Dolly Parton collaborated with a dance music producer a few years back.

• Members

Originally posted by elsongs

Swiss, Swedish, They all look the samel heheh.
:)

Guess you've never been to our neck of the woods Hilbillie.

Swedish are tall and blond unless they're soundengineers.

Swiss are short,fat and darker.

Archived