so who runs American TV and how can I contact him?

boosh

• Members

Originally posted by boosh

Yups,......... I need the guy who comes up with stuff as American Idol and shows like that.

I have something for him.

Can anyone give me his phonenumber?

Simon Cowell is involved in the production of those (American Inventor is his), so If you are looking for a dev deal, that may be the place to go (edit : it's apprently Syco Television, not Syco productions -- sorry abt that)

I would seriously doubt you will be pitching to simon -- One problem is that "unsolicited ideas" can be heavily screened (even not accepted) to avoid claims that similar ideas were lifted

[Cowell already had that with "american Idol" in relation to "Pop Idol ]

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

Simon Cowell is involved in the production of those, so If you are looking for a dev deal, that may be the place to go (Syco Productions)

I would seriously doubt you will be pitching to simon -- One problem is that "unsolicited ideas" can be heavily screened (even not accepted) to avoid claims that similar ideas were lifted

[Cowell already had that with "american Idol" in relation to "Pop Idol ]

I guess it works the same as in music industry? I thought about presenting what I have through an attorney or sollicitor. Is that the right way?

• Members

It could surely help to protect you (and everyone's interest), but the simply may not accept it at all to protect themselves

[it could be even more dicey for this type of material b/c we may be dealing with general concepts...game/show architectures, etc as opposed to developed screenplays and such]

I would suggest contacting them for submission guidelines

• Members

that's a bit out of my depth

From there you could try to shop it to a network (provided you've got a production company going and you are ready to make a show) or you could try to interest a production company

but again, they may not be interested in seeing it for the same reason

and I'd expect a pretty serious capital outlay to produce a pilot ... what kind of budget we talking?

I'd start with Going to Syco, say, (and start digging around for other production companies in the reality TV field) and asking for their submission guidelines

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

and I'd expect a pretty serious capital outlay to produce a pilot ... what kind of budget we talking?

Budget is not the problem,... not that I am filthy rich but the place I work at has a television studio and editingroom and all the equipment needed. The crew works on voluntary base and they all offered to help me do my stuff.

So basically all I need is a production company that is interested.

I'll check out what they say about submission guidelines.

Thanks ;)

• Members

I'm honestly not sure if shopping a rough pilot to a production company would help you or not (something to check into) -- If it' isn't a ramped up production they may just see it as a "treatment" in video form

after all, they are in the biz of producing shows, so those guys don't "need" the translation

I suspect it's the "unsolicted" part is the IP hurdle there (stuff like submitting scripts to Paramount for "trek" is/was not a big deal b/c they have/had a small reading staff that acted as "gatekeepers")

I'm still concerned about the costs of getting the thing fully realized (Half a mil USD for a sitcom pilot isn't a big deal...reality shows are prob cost structured quite a bit differently, but then what they expect out of a pilot may also be), but I figger burn that bridge when you come to it

Best of luck with that --

I'm not sure what other production houses do the other reality programs, but a little web searching could prob yield some useful results

Archived