American Idol judges - can any of them actually sing?

• Members

Originally posted by Counterpoint

And please don't say Paula Abdul.

I'd like to see one of THEM get up on stage with a mic in front of the whole world.

How is their ability to sing relevent?

• Moderators

I'm not sure if he sings but Randy Jackson did play bass for

violin virtuoso Jean-Luc Ponty

Journey

Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown

Billy Cobham

Herbie Hancock

Richard Marx

Billy Joel

Bob Dylan

The Charlie Daniels Band.

Production/songwriting work with Narada Michael Walden and Walter Afanasieff. He's also worked as an executive with Columbia Records and MCA Records.

I also hear that Simon dude wails!

• Members

i guess those guys could tolerate his annoying personality, what a fake acting guy... the stereotypical music biz bull{censored} artist...

actually i don't think he is the same randy jackson that played for those jazz guys.. i saw that dude live once a long time ago, and it's not the same guy, but he could have lost lots of weight and shaved his head?

• Moderators

Originally posted by patshep

i guess those guys could tolerate his annoying personality, what a fake acting guy... the stereotypical music biz bull{censored} artist...

actually i don't think he is the same randy jackson that played for those jazz guys.. i saw that dude live once a long time ago, and it's not the same guy, but he could have lost lots of weight and shaved his head?

It's the same guy. He did lose lots of weight and shave his head.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

I'm not sure if he
sings
but Randy Jackson did play bass for

violin virtuoso Jean-Luc Ponty

Journey

Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown

Billy Cobham

Herbie Hancock

Richard Marx

Billy Joel

Bob Dylan

The Charlie Daniels Band.

Production/songwriting work with Narada Michael Walden and Walter Afanasieff. He's also worked as an executive with Columbia Records and MCA Records.

I also hear that Simon dude wails!

Yeah, and Paula can dance her ass off. But they're not judging dancers or bass players. They're judging SING-ers.

• Members

Yeah, Ken and Geoff, I have no idea if Paula can sing or not. But singing on a recording is not singing live. Even in the days of tape, you had hours or days to get it right and of course tape IS editable.

Yeah, and Paula can dance her ass off. But they're not judging dancers or bass players. They're judging SING-ers.

I've seen just a few minutes worth of American Idol, but these "judges" do not determine the outcome, do they?

• Members

Most conductors don't play every single instrument in an orchestra. Yet it is their job to critique every single player of an instrument.

• Members

Not quite. They're judging what they think the public would consume a lot of and make them tons of money. The contest is American "Idol", not American Singer.

• Moderators

Yeah, and I don't particularly give a flying f$%* about any of this nonsense, but if we talking "qualified to identify pop talent", I think all three do just fine. But like I said... I could really give a rat's ass.

I've seen the show maybe 3 times since it started and Paula seems to be the least qualified. Hey, it's reality TV. The whole things clueless if you ask me.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Not quite. They're judging what they think the public would consume a lot of and make them tons of money. The contest is American "Idol", not American Singer.

+10

It's not pretending to be some world class contest of sheer singing talent, it's a publicity contest.

• Members

My wife watches the whole AI series, so I've seen some of the show. Last week's cleavage episode/"wardrobe malfunction" was pretty good, but I digress. I understand that the very successful British series, when pitched to American networks, didn't make a ripple with the corporate brass. It wasn't until Rupurt Murdoch's daughter became a fan of "Pop Idol" and told her dad (owner of Fox and numuous other sleazy media) did the show get picked up. Now it's a competition killer that targets other networks' new offerings by moving time slots with special showings.

If you make it past the Gong Show portion where wannabes are humiliated and take the premise that this is a talent search for pop idols, playing within that framework, the show is, as the Brits may say, brilliant. The mix of judges, with an accomplished musician in Randy, stage mom Paula, and a cruel agent/director/critic/snob in Simon, you have a lot of what Dorothy may find on her way to Oz.

Archived