Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Idol judges - can any of them actually sing?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Counterpoint

Yeah, and Paula can dance her ass off. But they're not judging dancers or bass players. They're judging SING-ers.

Most conductors don't play every single instrument in an orchestra. Yet it is their job to critique every single player of an instrument.

Comment

Yeah, and Paula can dance her ass off. But they're not judging dancers or bass players. They're judging SING-ers.

Not quite. They're judging what they think the public would consume a lot of and make them tons of money. The contest is American "Idol", not American Singer.

Comment

Yeah, and I don't particularly give a flying f$%* about any of this nonsense, but if we talking "qualified to identify pop talent", I think all three do just fine. But like I said... I could really give a rat's ass.

I've seen the show maybe 3 times since it started and Paula seems to be the least qualified. Hey, it's reality TV. The whole things clueless if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by GCDEF

Not quite. They're judging what they think the public would consume a lot of and make them tons of money. The contest is American "Idol", not American Singer.

+10

It's not pretending to be some world class contest of sheer singing talent, it's a publicity contest.

Comment

They are judging entertainers.

Comment

It's called AutoTne

Comment

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide
                It's called AutoTne
                www.guitarz.com
                Jammin' For Karma

Comment

after, exactly, but possibly also before

Comment

My wife watches the whole AI series, so I've seen some of the show. Last week's cleavage episode/"wardrobe malfunction" was pretty good, but I digress. I understand that the very successful British series, when pitched to American networks, didn't make a ripple with the corporate brass. It wasn't until Rupurt Murdoch's daughter became a fan of "Pop Idol" and told her dad (owner of Fox and numuous other sleazy media) did the show get picked up. Now it's a competition killer that targets other networks' new offerings by moving time slots with special showings.

If you make it past the Gong Show portion where wannabes are humiliated and take the premise that this is a talent search for pop idols, playing within that framework, the show is, as the Brits may say, brilliant. The mix of judges, with an accomplished musician in Randy, stage mom Paula, and a cruel agent/director/critic/snob in Simon, you have a lot of what Dorothy may find on her way to Oz.
                    .................................................. ...

Mixing religion and politics is like mixing ice cream and manure. It ruins the one but doesn't improve the other.

... Will Rogers

Comment

• Working...
                      X