No announcement yet.

Laptop for Audio Recording.........

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ViLo

Thanks! That gives me hope, because the Rain computers are way too expensive for me.
    A couple of more details. The CPU is an AMD Newark(excellent) socket 754, and the laptop is based on the ATI chipset which I'm really starting to like with AMD. The graphics is an Ati mobility Radeon X600 256 mb which is not shared with system memory which is one gig DDR. The drive is the typical 4200rpm,but since all audio is running off the external FW WD drive so it really doesn't matter much, and since the machine runs fairly cool a faster internal drive would just needlessly heat things up more. I re-did Win XP home that shipped with the machine to get rid of all the infested crap(AOL etc.),then used Partion Magic to creat 2 more partitions and installed XP Pro stripped with XP Lite for DAW so it's like he has 2 machines, one for internet and crap and the other a stripped down XP Pro for DAW and the 3rd partition for storage. So far it's very solid and fast. Great deal for the money.
    "If Obama wins a second term I will leave the forum". - Visconti

Comment

Originally posted by jamesp

Wouldn't a second internal HDD be better for recording or performing?
      Yes, or an external hard drive. But I was thinking of backups for the recording drive whether it's internal or external.

If all you were using the laptop computer for was for gathering sound and all the real work would be done on another computer, then you could probably risk holding off the backing-up until you get the disk to the other computer. But if this is going to be your audio computer, you'd want some thing for convenient backup. Of course you could use an external DVD writer, but that's one more thing to carry.
      --
      "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
      Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRivers
        Doesn't "dedicated" graphics mean that the CPU and its RAM aren't used for graphics?

Yes. I guess I didn't do a good job at stating this clearer in my original post.

Comment

Originally posted by Alndln2
          A couple of more details. The CPU is an AMD Newark(excellent) socket 754, and the laptop is based on the ATI chipset which I'm really starting to like with AMD. The graphics is an Ati mobility Radeon X600 256 mb which is not shared with system memory which is one gig DDR. The drive is the typical 4200rpm,but since all audio is running off the external FW WD drive so it really doesn't matter much, and since the machine runs fairly cool a faster internal drive would just needlessly heat things up more. I re-did Win XP home that shipped with the machine to get rid of all the infested crap(AOL etc.),then used Partion Magic to creat 2 more partitions and installed XP Pro stripped with XP Lite for DAW so it's like he has 2 machines, one for internet and crap and the other a stripped down XP Pro for DAW and the 3rd partition for storage. So far it's very solid and fast. Great deal for the money.

Can I install a faster HD?
          He's Coming,Make Music Be Happy
          The Lord Is My Provider And My Boss, So Don't Even Think You Are The Man
          Too Many Songs To Learn, So little Time!!

Comment

7200rpm notebook Hard drive

cheers
            john
            Recording Studio Design Forum
            Design Site

Comment

Originally posted by John Sayers
              7200rpm notebook Hard drive

cheers
              john

Comment

Originally posted by Alndln2 A couple of more detail
                The drive is the typical 4200rpm,but since all audio is running off the external FW WD drive so it really doesn't matter much, and since the machine runs fairly cool a faster internal drive would just needlessly heat things up more. ....

So I can record to an external drive?

Comment

Originally posted by ViLo

So I can record to an external drive?
                  Of course. With Sonar I just set it's folders to the external FW drive. I actually prefer this because a 7200 drive in a notebook would definitely heat things up shortening the life of the laptop ultimately.
                  "If Obama wins a second term I will leave the forum". - Visconti

Comment

Originally posted by Alndln2
                    Of course. With Sonar I just set it's folders to the external FW drive. I actually prefer this because a 7200 drive in a notebook would definitely heat things up shortening the life of the laptop ultimately.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X