Network Attached Storage...anyone?

• Members

SO, I've been thinking about picking up one of these new Maxtor drives with an Ethernet port on it.

Anyone using one yet? Anything special I should know?

I run four machines, two XP and two OSX, will everyone play nice? It looks like I could hang my printer off the USB port, could I then access it from all of my 'puters?

• Members

I've got a client who uses one on a large project. Good points - it's nice to have a lot of assets online and shared.

Bad points - if the assets are critical you are going to want redundancy. They have gone to Raid 5 . Performance does not seem all that fast and responsive. Gigabit would have a longer useful life. Some enclosures have problems with heat (don't know about the one that you have spotted). You might see what user reviews are saying at NewEgg.

I think that I would like to do it when eSATA II is more available (cheap). But, you know, that might change. (I'm thinking more about hanging fast externals on a networked box than about a true NAS).

• Members

What's interesting about redundancy in the computer world is that it only accounts for actual hardware failure.

Most problems are somehow related to software or configuration; therefore, redundancy often yields only a pair of identical problems!

The things that are super-crucial to a business are DATA and software licensing & configuration. Therefore, you need to back up the data regularly. You need to keep license information and last known good configuration files, in case a system fails and needs rebuilding.

• Members

My company uses Buffalo Tech NAS devices including the new TeraStation with RAID support. So far, all devices have been rock solid with no issues. We're only using them on PC, but I know for a fact that they work with Mac's too. FWIW, I think that NAS is the shiznizz.

• Members

Originally posted by Dylan Walters

My company uses Buffalo Tech NAS devices including the new TeraStation with RAID support. So far, all devices have been rock solid with no issues. We're only using them on PC, but I know for a fact that they work with Mac's too. FWIW, I think that NAS is the shiznizz.

I've been looking at the Buffalo Tech Link Station.

Here's what I have:

3 networked PCs with tons of audio and image files

A home theatre unit with a USB input for audio and image files

I'd like to attach a drive to my network for another back up point and also consolidate my audio and image files. I'd then like to hook it up via USB to my home theatre unit to play audio files and view image files.

The specs and lit only address using USB for printers and additional drives. From your experience with these, does this look possible?

Archived