Pics of sunrise over Lake Ontario I took this morning...

• Members

Originally posted by Greg Bogoshian

DurandSunrise1.jpg

DurandSunrise2.jpg

No post processing except resizing for the web... I took them 2 minutes from my house on the way to work... Enjoy! Boggs

Greg,

Where were the pics taken from? Looks like either Sea Breeze or Webster.

• Members

Very pretty... I agree that the framing of the sunrise in the second one is what many of us have been trained to do/look for...and it's a handsom pic... but I like the angular lines in the first one... it's a little less expected...

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

Very pretty... I agree that the framing of the sunrise in the second one is what many of us have been trained to do/look for...and it's a handsom pic... but I like the angular lines in the first one... it's a little less
expected

I'm with you, blue. Plus, the extra "emphasis" on the sun's rays on the water, at least on my monitor.

Rick

• Members

The rays are just what happened based on water movement at the time. I have a hard time deciding which one I like better for exactly the reasons youguys pointed out, although I didn't realize why until you explained it. I am as untrained as it gets... I wanted a bit of imbalance in the frame with the taller foliage to one side with the object (the sun and ray), and a bit of the outcropping of land to the other side, but beyond that, it was difficult to tell due to my little viewfinder in the camera.

• Members

Hi Greg,

Both are very nice shots. I think the 2nd image is more crisp in the focusing than the first, which makes it more professional IMO. But I do like the relaxed softness in the 1st photo because, well.. as what Blue said, it's a little less expected.

You have a beautiful scenic view enroute to your job!!! :thu:

• Members

Bless you!!!I moved from the greater Rocha cha area around 6 years ago for sunny fargo north dakota , and I've not found an uglier location on the planet ...I used to take the natural beauty of upstate for granted- till i moved here...great pics and boy they really hit the spot!!!:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Greg Bogoshian

Thanks, Ani! The more you get to know me, the less is expected... I think... Somehow, I don't think that came out right!
:freak:

If it means what I think you're saying; you tend to sway outside of the norm and take pleasure in doing the things that are NOT expected. ;) I call that INDIVIDUALITY! :thu:

Something that I wrote and carried in my tag line for the longest time:

I'm a CREATOR, not an IMMITATOR. :cool:

I'm all for the less expected when it's done tastefully and artistically; that's where true art finds it's composer.

• Members

Funny you should put it that way, Ani. I just got back yesterday from taking the guitars I designed and built to my first sort-of trade show... techinically a Musicians' Flea Market where dealers are also represented. It was my first "official" act. I pointed out on many occasions that my designs are not like Fenders or Gibsons because I just don't do cookie-cutter. Never did. You want a Fender or a Gibson, by all means get one. Great guitars. Why should I build them? They are already built! They don't build mine though, so why should I build theirs? The thought processes behind mine are very different and VERY thorough as I was told many times by people who played them. I am an engineering technician by trade and that thought process along with my musicianship (and that is not easy for me to say) produced a truly unique and ergonomic and incredibly versatile instrument. My motorcycle is unique. My racing suspension was the only one of its kind because I engineered and designed it and set records with it. I have long believed that if you stick with convention, you cap your performance potential.

Now, having said that, it has nothing to do with the pictures. :D I was fortunate to pick a good spot and be there at the right time. How they came out was more an act of God than any real act of me...! People expect me to be or do different. Sometimes I just can't help it! ;)

• Members

But I took a class once back in school.

Just wanted to mention the Rule of Thirds.

To paraphrse it, as I recall it (with what limited memory I actually have left), when shooting any geographical type of scene, it is more appealing to divide the picture up into thirds rather than halving it.

For example, your first photo utilizes the rule rather well, as the water in the foreground makes up 2/3 of the shot, with the sunrise/sky making up 1/3 of the picture.

The second photo is more "typical" (not that I am criticizing by any stretch) of what people shoot, more or less halving the photo with 50% water/50% sunrise, though we're not exactly at 50%. But I think you get my drift.

I prefer the lone, sparse tree of the 2nd photo in the foreground, but the framing of the 1st photo. If the 1st photo had the 2nd's foreground, it would have been even more appealing.

But, hey, don't listen to me --- I'm just a hack musician (and I emphasize the word "hack").

Nice stuff. :cool:

• Members

Thanks for sending me a memory of a wonderful week I spent around Fair Haven and Little Sodus Bay. I just googled Little Sodus and up came the place I gigged one warm Saturday night around the Bicentennial. Sadly, the friend I visited there is no longer with us. Miss you, Jim.

• Members

ThankYOU, thankyou, for sharing that. You just made that picture a bit more special for me too... To have been given the gift of knowledge that a little thing I took a moment to do made a genuine difference in your day, well, that IS a special thing indeed. Each of you who have commented on this has had a piece in that too... I thank you all sincerely. :wave:

• Members

Color saturation is beautiful in both shots, and you caught the sun at a dramatic moment, just over the horizon line.

I like the way that the line separating the water and the dark foreground terminates RIGHT IN THE CORNER in the first shot. This may have been accidental, but it works better than the second shot which seems clipped at the bottom.

The vegetation is a bit of a tangle in both cases, but in the northeast, that's what we have to life with. In the west it's easier to find an isolated plant or tree to silhouette.

Good work!!

P.S. There's more than one "rule of thirds" in photography. One is for foreground, midground, background layering, and the other describes where to place the subject in the frame. Both are worth some research and practice.

There's lots of stuff on the web about the rule of thirds, but most of the example photos are horrible. Here are a couple of links with a good examples:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Just remember that sometimes it's better to scoff at the rules and shoot what you feel. Or at least try shooting the subject both ways.

• Members

I think that it would be a really cool thing to have HC set up a forum dedicated to photography and videography since both play a large role in marketing and promotions.

I know that there are already forums set up for photographers that cater to such needs, but they are detached from this comfortable little community where there have been a lot of virtual friendships made.

There are quite a few great photographers who are accomplished in the trade on board here and others that like to dabble with photography and videography as serious hobbyists. As with all the other forums that seem to fall in line with the SSS; there's a ton of information that could be exchanged among members.

There are a lot of things that could be discussed such as backlighting, highlighting, filtering, shadowing, cool tones and hot tones, macros, framing, shutter speed, composition, marketing, digital editing, analog developing, exposure, resolution, angular shooting and tons more.

Archived