Is this the best Fender Rhodes emulation?

• Members

I'm looking for something that sounds really good for gigging and recording. It doesn't have to sound exactly like a Rhodes, but it should sound damn good. And hopefully sound like it's coming from something "electromechanical".

So far, I've found this. I heard it sounds good:

Clavia Nord Electro for $1350

Are there any other things that I should look at? I know that they have a rack version of this, but want the keyboard version (this also comes in a six-octave version).

And yes, the acoustic piano and B-3 stuff are all really useful to me as well. Great collection of sounds.

• Members

That looks and sounds like a cool keyboard Ken - The rhodes sounds are good aren't they.

My only problem is the drawbars - shame they couldn't have had real drawbars like the Korg CX3 has so you can change tone as you play.

cheers

john

• Members

Ken, it sounds like you've found a good deal; but I have an alternative for you to consider. A growing number of people are using Receptor with the Scarbee R.S.P. '73 or MrRay SeventyThree for Rhodes sounds.

This combo will cost you a little more than the Electro, and Receptor is a rack unit rather than a keyboard; but if you absolutely want the best Rhodes sound (other than the real deal) and extra flexibility in the sounds you use, you may want to consider the software/hardware pairing above.

Check out this thread for more:

Receptor - IMPRESSIVE

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I've been using the shareware Mr Ray 73 with my CME UF8 (and computer rig, lap or tower) for a pretty Rhodesian experience. I don't know how Mr Ray stacks up against expensive spread Rhodes sims, but I find it really responsive (it's not sample based so it's continuously responsive and even has some chaos elements built in) and really configurable (you can change a bunch of aspects of it, dampening, tone, response curve, even down to various mechanical noises they put in to suggest some real world aspects of Rhodes keyboards.)

It's not a Rhodes but it gives a lot of the same pleasures as a Rhodes -- a similarly broad range of responses -- I haven't run into in any of the sampled Rhodes I've tinkered with. I've heard sampled Rhodes that sound good at first blush but quickly prove limited. Mr Ray is a lot deeper. It's pretty darn cool.

• Members

Probably the most extensively sampled Rhodes piano is the Scarbee Rhodes. I have that and the Wurly, but I end up using MrRay and MrTramp instead. Odd that a couple of freeware SynthEdit creations can sound better than the real thing, but I just find them more satisfying.

They are just the raw tone generators. To get the electric piano of your dreams, you need to process them just as you would the real thing. That's where the real magic begins. An electric piano is almost as versatile as an electric guitar. There's not much to like about the raw tone from the pickups, but you can shape and effect the sound a million different ways.

• Members

>

I too think LL rocks, but I believe Ken wants to use it on stage, and I'm not sure he's convinced a laptop or portable desktop is the way to go.

But using a modeled Rhodes is for weenies, all modelers sound like crap and anyone who thinks they sound like the real thing is a moron who needs to see an ear doctor...ooops, wrong thread (inside joke for Ken).

Anyway, about Receptor...excellent idea, actually, because if you change your mind or want to add new sounds, you're good to go. It's built well, too, but of course you will then need a master controller...I like CME keyboards, the keybed action is way hot at that price.

• Members

As an electro owner for nealry 2 years, it's nice.

Can someone also explain why none of the real Fender Rhodes you see on Ebay or Craigslist have the sustain pedal intact?

Is there a dungeon somewhere in the world full of nothing but Rhodes pedals, guarded by an hideous troll?

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

I too think LL rocks, but I believe Ken wants to use it on stage, and I'm not sure he's convinced a laptop or portable desktop is the way to go.

But using a modeled Rhodes is for weenies, all modelers sound like crap and anyone who thinks they sound like the real thing is a moron who needs to see an ear doctor...ooops, wrong thread (inside joke for Ken).

I'll check into the Receptor thingy, thanks!

Craig, you're right...and like my "solution" for guitars (live, using a Vox ToneLab modeler footpedal thingy with a real tube amp), perhaps the best approach here is to use a real Fender Rhodes retrofitted with MIDI and then trigger Lounge Lizard through a laptop. The best of both worlds, right here!! :D :D

• Members

I should mention that a looong time ago, I was offered an intact Fender Rhodes for $250 (I don't know if the sustain pedal was working, though). I had to turn it down because I was living in this absurdly small house that was already overflowing with stuff. Arrrrghh!!!

• Moderators

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

...perhaps the best approach here is to use a real Fender Rhodes retrofitted with MIDI and then trigger Lounge Lizard through a laptop. The best of both worlds, right here!!
:D

Hey... now there's an idea!

• Members

Regarding Mr. Ray, BurningBusch over at MP regards it as one of best Rhodes emulations. In addition to being a real fine player, Busch is also the guy behind the purgatory creeks shootouts. His opinions carry a lot of weight with me.

But certainly, Ken, you can give Mr. Ray a run on some softsynth rig or other. I think it sounds great.

• Members

The sampling cd "Magnetica" is a bit better and quite useful

http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4dcgi/detail.html?308

but is not as even at the velocity switches as a keyboard ROM preset.

all modelers sound like crap and anyone who thinks they sound like the real thing is a moron who needs to see an ear doctor...ooops, wrong thread (inside joke for Ken).

Make a copy of this joke over to the guitar modeler thread. :D

• Members

>

Anyway, about Receptor...excellent idea, actually, because if you change your mind or want to add new sounds, you're good to go. It's built well, too, but of course you will then need a master controller...I like CME keyboards, the keybed action is way hot at that price.

Just want to point out that I cited my devotion to Mr Ray 73 in the amp modeling thread as a sign of my open mind. :D

• Members

I should mention that a looong time ago, I was offered an intact Fender Rhodes for $250 (I don't know if the sustain pedal was working, though). I had to turn it down because I was living in this absurdly small house that was already overflowing with stuff. Arrrrghh!!!

We'll put that right next to the salvaged Neve channel I had a chance to buy for around $450 back int he mid 90s... ("$450 for a used channel strip? Why would I pay...?" Ah geez.)

I'll check into the Receptor thingy, thanks!

Craig, you're right...and like my "solution" for guitars (live, using a Vox ToneLab modeler footpedal thingy with a real tube amp), perhaps the best approach here is to use a real Fender Rhodes retrofitted with MIDI and then trigger Lounge Lizard through a laptop. The best of both worlds, right here!!

Wait a second... you've got all the weight (but, admittedly the physical feel) but none of the tone/variability/chaos factors/play feel that make each Rhodes a unique instrument...

It'd be nice to have the MIDI, I guess, but I think I'd use the analog outs... (Of course, I realize this was a more or less facetious suggestion. But I haven't had enough coffee to thoroughly wake the whimsy center of my brain...)

• Members

In all seriousness, while the other suggestions may get an overall better sound, I think the "unfussiness" of the keyboard and all the other sounds are quite beneficial to what I'm doing. It may not have quite the realism, but if it sounds really good regardless, I'm probably gonna go for it.

• Members

If you want the Piano and B3 sounds then I've heard nothing but good things about the Nord Electro 2. But if you are looking for the best Rhodes sound, why not just buy a Rhodes? You could get one for around $500 last I looked.

• Members

Isn't the Rhodes a bit heavy? That's one fo the reasons. But I can also use the B-3 and piano sounds as well.

I'm looking on the site and see all sorts of effects, but I don't see delay.

These are the effects it does have (under the "Global" Section):

Effects: Overdrive, Rotary Speaker simulation (slow, fast, stop), Equalizer, Chorus (2 types), Flanger (2 types), Phaser (2 types), Tremolo, Wah-Wah (2 types), Auto Wah, Auto panning, and Ring modulation.

• Members

I have a Stage '73 that I used to haul to gigs. Unforturnately, it isn't playable right now because of broken tines on some of the keys. Eventually, I would like to get them replaced, but I've been using my Yamaha S80 in the meantime, great Rhodes sounds. I will probably start gigging with the '73 again once I get it fixed, but the S80 would probably work better for me since I like to play more of an acoustic piano sound and I usually don't like bringing any more than 2 boards to a gig.

• Members

I play guitar, and only want to bring ONE keyboard, so I'm trying to make it really lightweight and easy to set up since I'm bringing enough stuff for two people!!

Anyone know if the Nord Electro 2 has delay? Hopefully it's simply not listed on that web site...

• Members

In all seriousness, while the other suggestions may get an overall better sound, I think the "unfussiness" of the keyboard and all the other sounds are quite beneficial to what I'm doing. It may not have quite the realism, but if it sounds really good regardless, I'm probably gonna go for it.

I didn't hear anything better soundwise - I downloaded most of the suggestions and IMHO your keyboard had the the best Rhodes sound, it's organ and piano sounds were also very good.

I'd say for a gig keyboard you'd be getting one of the best.

cheers

john

• Members

Anyone know if the Nord Electro 2 has delay? Hopefully it's simply not listed on that web site...

Ken, the keyboard doesn't have any delay or reverb. None of the Nord stuff does, actually.

BTW, always loved your posts.

• Members

Originally posted by TinderArts

Ken, are you talking to yourself again?

No, not really.

Yes you are.

I didn't remember talking to myself.

Look up, dude. It's right there!!

Oh wow. Hmmmm.

I think you're working too hard.

It's not...well, why can't it have delay? That ain't too much to ask, is it?

Archived