did you like VEGAS audio? this rocks!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

This looks like a great alternative for the underpowered wireless laptop we use for surfing at home. Surf... edit PT drums tracks... surf some more, edit the bass.

Please report any experiences you have with it if you decide to try it.

• Members

i'm working on it now. was up and running in 2 minutes. the whole program (including demo project) is less than 3 megs! not bloatware.

i believe, (not sure though) that it is a former vegas guy who codes it.

full delay compensation, 64 bit engine, ripple editing. easy as hell to use. so far so good!

on another forum, a coupla folks have dumped nuendo & samplitude for this. (dunno bout that claim, but... can't beat the price)

• Members

Wow, only 1 meg??????

Just loaded it, seems stable, I've got to go to work now though....

Cool Edit-style vector editing! That's great!

Sort of cluttered front end, but not as rococco as Sonar...

Has anyone tried it for awhile? Is it reliable?

• Members

Cool! I just spent some time diddling with the sample file that comes with it. Very transparent, and I was never a Vegas user.

On the user forum at their Website, I learned it will crash it you use it with any tempo-synced effects or instruments.

I might even track a demo with it tonight, instead of on Sonar 4.

• Members

hmmm,

according to this blog , the app can operate portably.

* i.e. Stand-alone, no installation, writes all settings to application folder. Portable applications can be run off USB keys, flash cards and DVD-RAM disks (when in disk mode).

Note that Reaper will write entries to the registry when you first run the installer. But you can simply drag the Reaper folder (including any required plugins) and your projects to a USB device and fire it up from there on another computer.

And googling "devloper Justin Frankel" suggests that it is Justin Frankel, late of Nullsoft

This thread from KvR seems to confirm that.

• Members

so far so good. recorded a tune with it today. live drums, guitar, bass drums, etc.

haven't had to look at the help file yet.

very intuitive and everything is on one page.

liked the global varispeed on the master fader...

• Members

Seems stable so far.

The envelope editing is on top of the peak file like CEP, which is cool, but it's the Cubase channel-automation paradigm.

I was hoping it had a loop/cycle recording method I wanted, but it also works like Cubase... the developer seems active on his message board and open to suggestions, which is a good sign... If he makes the cycle-recording feature work the way I want (each take pops out as a separate, ready to go file/track, ready for envelope editing) it'll be the greatest thing since the Fostex X-15 IMO...

Some scary looking screen redraws at times, but it seems to snap back solidly.

Some settings are in weird places IMO, but I suppose that'll get straightened out...

• Members

Cool, I noticed that when I showed my VST folder that stupid me didn't uninstall my Dx versions of the older UAD card pluggins, they don't work with the latest drivers. SO when it went through looking at them it crashed the program a couple of times. But once it scanned them it's fine.

Ya a cool little program that works simple and allows to get some work done instead of the "hmmm I wonder what this does" issue I have.

Thanks

Bri

• Members

I'm liking this more and more...

Since there's no ducmentation uin the current version, perhaps we could record some informally in this thread?

One thing I can't figure out is how to mark a portion of an audio clip. The default left click action on a clip is "drag." Maybe you just use split clips?

• Members

jeez, this guy justin is great. puts out a program update in less than 24 hours from when a feature was requested.

i'm an audio guy (not midi) and so far this thing has been great fun and easy as hell.

• Members

Unreal.

A day ago I made a bunch of suggestions - including one that makes cycle/loop recording as seamless as it can be...

And today there they are in the installer.

The 1 meg installer, I might add.

Because of these changes, it's now got essentially the features I like in Cool Edit combined with Cubase, without the obfuscated Cubase procedures...

Justin rules.

• Members

And meanwhile, I've been tracking with it all day. It has been stable. I did crash it once with a hung MIDI note. It doesn't seem to have an all "all notes off" panic button, does it?

To be fair, this was SampleTank 2, which has given me problems in Sonar too. I used SampleTank in Reaper for a good while and only had the one incident

I probably wouldn't buy it until it was supporting host tempo sync stuff, though. Then I wouldn't hesitate.

I haven't witnessed this level of freeware generosity since Crystal (speaking of good reasons to support tempo sync...)

Archived