Am I the Only Person Who Doesn't Care About the Dixie Chicks?

• Members

I mean, what's the big deal? They don't like Bush, said so, then did a song about what happened because they didn't like Bush and said so. Is this really such an earth-shaking big deal that they belong on the cover of freakin' Time magazine? I think not. Right now they're on Larry King, and the home page on AOL trumpets Dixie Chicks album back at No. 1. Is this what passes for news these days?

And I don't care about Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie, Katie Holmes, Denise Richards, Heather Locklear, any of them. Why do people spend any time whatsoever being interested in this kind of stuff?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

craig, it's called celebrity worship and the powers that be make damn sure that we develop a huge case of it while they are stripping our civil liberties away and pissing on the constitution. Meanwhile most people only care about who won American Idol. Hence I do not have a TV. Have a nice day! :)

• Members

Don't own their CD's, could care less about their viewpointers on politics. If they're serious about politics, they should run for office. Album sales is not the same as a voter's mandate.

Hint to all artists that insist on force feeding me their viewpointers: I've never bought jack from a politician.

Years back I went to a Ronstadt show where she proceeded to spend a half hour sharing her unique take on reality with the crowd. About a third left, including me. I haven't been to see her since or bought any of her product. I never did get reembursed for my ticket.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Is this what passes for news these days?

Hey, the local paper did a review of Katie Couric's last Today Show in the Arts & Entertainment section, the same way they review movies and theater shows.:freak:

• Members

It's a big deal because that IS what people are interested in these days. Maybe not 99% of the people on this forum, but certainly a vast majority of the United States that would be considered conspicuous consumers. It would be bad business for the media to focus on other things.

I think many people have the blame place squarely on the wrong shoulders...if the majority of consumers were not interested in insipid things like boycotting 3 talented musicians because they happened to have an opinion on something, then the media would focus on something else, FOR BETTER OR WORSE.

I am far from cynical, but I think we're less than 5 years away from seeing an execution on network television. People will protest, people will sue, people will be outraged.

And then people will watch.

On a side note, I am thankful every day that I wake up and can actually have time to think about stupid things like the Dixie Chicks and sampling rates instead of not getting shot or finding potable water.

• Members
Slow news day, I guess.

I wish this were true. There is a lot of stuff going on which is not being reported. Not much value placed on the truth these days. As far as The Chicks go, it's all about the controversy. No mystery there. I think we over report controversy and under report truth. We deserve better but we don't demand it.

• Members

Unfortunately news networks don't report what's important, they report what people like to watch. It's all about the ratings. It's a sad reflection on the interests of the general public. Apparently the Dixie Chicks, Paris Hilton, Branjolina, and American Idol are more important in the minds of most people than (insert worthy news topic of your choice here)

• Members

Originally posted by jackcheez

I think we over report controversy and under report truth. We deserve better but we don't demand it.

The media LOVES process stories with no conclusions, because its easier to avoid looking "biased".

For instance, right now in Massachusetts, the state Democratic party is gearing up for their convention, where they choose the candidates who will appear on the primary ballot.

Because of the bizarre rules of the convention, it's possible that there will be only one candidate to earn ballot placement. Voters? Who are they? Anyway...

The dominant story is the ballot rules/convention procedural stuff, with almost no coverage of the candidates' actual proposals and policies.

• Members

I think they're pretty good at what they do(and look good in the process) but I'm not going to get their latest #1 CD because I've got a long list of other CDs to get to first. I do think its amazing they have the #1 CD out currently and still can't get airplay on any country music stations! :rolleyes:

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by zeronyne

I am far from cynical, but I think we're less than 5 years away from seeing an execution on network television. People will protest, people will sue, people will be outraged.

And then people will watch.

George Carlin had a great bit on that (public executions) a few years ago.

Boiling in oil (ahh, those were the days) - sponsor ...Crisco

Burning at the stake - sponsor ...Kingsford Charcoal

• Members

I really don't care what the politics of any performers are, but I'm aware that i'm not the general public. It's stupid, but it's a fact.

I wouldn't want my Congressman giving me advice on my intonation either.

There seems to be a herd mentality, where people like to build up celebrities, then tear them down.

I'm old enough to remember the John Lennon Jesus Comments Flap.

It's also interesting that the Chicks are for the most part a Country act, and it appears that's why their anti-Bush comments were so strongly reacted to. Sheryl Crow could make similar remarks and go unnoticed.

I wouldn't be surprized if this controversy is a clever plan by their PR people. If it is, it's working.

Joey

www.JoeyAce.com

• Members

Originally posted by 2manband

Unfortunately news networks don't report what's important, they report what people like to watch. It's all about the ratings. It's a sad reflection on the interests of the general public. Apparently the Dixie Chicks, Paris Hilton, Branjolina, and American Idol are more important in the minds of most people than (insert worthy news topic of your choice here)

It's even worse than that. I think rather than reporting what people want, they are reporting what THEY want. We are being fed complete BS from every direction. And I really don't care about Natalie no-neck's political views. I wish she'd just shut up and sing.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Is this really such an earth-shaking big deal that they belong on the cover of freakin' Time magazine? I think not. Right now they're on Larry King, and the home page on AOL trumpets Dixie Chicks album back at No. 1. Is this what passes for news these days?

What's the big deal? They have a great publicist. He or she should be commended for getting a client some coveted media attention. It's really hard to get on the cover of Time. I know; I've tried. :D

- Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

It's really hard to get on the cover of Time. I know; I've tried.
:D

Yeah, I've been meaning to ask you where our Time cover piece is. :mad:

Ya think if we write a song about hating Bush that would do the trick? :D

• Members

I'm not all that interested in hearing anyone's political beliefs regardless of who they are b/c I, just like everyone else, have my own way of thinking and I keep that mostly to myself.

However, I AM interested in hearing their new CD since Rick Rubin produced it. I'm not a fan of every single thing he's done, but his work with Johhny Cash and Neil Diamond is impressive as hell to me. I'd love to know how he/his engineer get that piano sound on those recordings. Best damn piano I ever heard in pop music (not that I speak from any authority, mind you, just my opinion.)

:) and so it goes...........