Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

CD Revenue...HOw much does the artist keep?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Revenue...HOw much does the artist keep?

I'm talking about when they signed with Sony, EMI etc.

Thanks
    He's Coming,Make Music Be Happy
    The Lord Is My Provider And My Boss, So Don't Even Think You Are The Man
    Too Many Songs To Learn, So little Time!!

Keep, you mean how much to they owe don't you?
    Artist must repay label for the cost of everything, from the recording itself to advertizing, promo, tour support, development, and this can quickly add up to millions and millions. Many artists fall prey to this, and end up basically owned by their label because they are so in debt to them. Thus is the price of fame.

Comment

From what I've heard, the labels also cook the books to keep the artists in debt as long as their records sell.

There are a few exceptions - Led Zepplin, for one, had excellent management and always came out with very advantageous financial set ups....

Comment

Originally posted by philbo
        From what I've heard, the labels also cook the books to keep the artists in debt as long as their records sell.

There are a few exceptions - Led Zepplin, for one, had excellent management and always came out with very advantageous financial set ups....

So $0.00???

Comment

Have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_%28band%29

"Now you've opened a whole sheetload of pain on everyone here, with all your black pudding insaneness." - Zygoat2

"I'm excited. Nothing turns chicks on more than a fat guy with a flying V playing Monkees songs!" - Sydfan

"Phuck you and your pseudo toaster." - Silas Dean

Comment

In an interview I read about 10-12 years ago, Sting claimed that he made about a dollar from each CD.
            Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

I read that each member of Guns N Roses stood to make about $.25 from each copy of Appatite for Destruction

Comment

seven cents a track is what one dude got what had a minor hit many years ago tole me.
                he uh said it was the average rate at the time for certain folkeses. of course He did'nt have ozzys wife kickin ace for him.
                I love her.. Sharon!.

Comment

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli
                  In an interview I read about 10-12 years ago, Sting claimed that he made about a dollar from each CD.
                  That's actually quite high even for a high profile artist, most deals are in terms of cents, in the case of newer artists it's in the lower range of cents. It all comes down to publishing points which Rec. Companies demand the lions share, and like Where pointed out, they expect you to also pay for the advance through your points. You also have to have some points to barter for booking agencey's etc. Most succsessful acts don't really make any money off CD sales until about 3 or 4 CD's later, and that's if they sell well enough for renegotiation. If your the type of act that doesn't promise commercial succsess right off the bat your better off with a small independant, then gather distributers as you grow or make a deal with the bigs for distribution only.
                  "If Obama wins a second term I will leave the forum". - Visconti

Comment

$0.85 per sold CD, according to the agreement between my record label and the band.
                    www.guslozada.com

Comment

I stand to make about $1.34 from each cd sold with my band. But we're independant and we have a very different agreement than what most band have I think.

Comment

OK, If most are getting about 1 % of the CD revenue, as an Artist: Do you worry about pirated music [YOur Music]??

Comment

I would'nt worry about folkeses shareing my music files and downloading free copies cause the CORE of sales is people who wish to have a SOUVENIR or real momento. a MP3 is no real loss to me and can only entice whoever to get my latest ceedee or to come to a show. So I win or I win . either way uh I um ahahah! WIN!
                          I'm a winner now yeehaw!
                          oh wait I still gotta sell some ceedees.

Comment

Originally posted by ViLo
                            OK, If most are getting about 1 % of the CD revenue, as an Artist: Do you worry about pirated music [YOur Music]??
                            Depends. If your signed to a big company yes, but if your an independant, that can act as your promotion. Then there's the grey area in between.
                            "If Obama wins a second term I will leave the forum". - Visconti

Comment

If I were in it for the money, I'd have become a cosmetic surgeon long ago... I tend to give away CDs, donate them to charity auctions, and play for free (or at most, enough to cover my costs).

Music is like a great idea - - if kept to yourself, it is totally worthless. If shared freely, its good effects are multiplied a thousandfold (okay, maybe a hundredfold).

OTOH, if ownership is passed to a record label, the value immediately goes negative and never sees zero again.

So... Why would anyone in their right mind do business with a record label?

Comment

Working...
                              X