Elvis's band

boosh

• Members

Elvis never did a world tour, so several members of his backing band are taking the dead Elvis on the road with them.

Playing along to footage of the King performing his greatest hits live on giant video screens will be TCB (Taking Care of Business) band members including Joe Guercio, Elvis's band leader and musical director for the final decade of his life, and lead guitarist James Burton, as well as some original backing singers and members of his orchestra.

Guinness World Records listed it as the first live show headlined by a dead performer, but did the TCB band ever think of replacing their dead frontman through a reality TV talent quest? Rock Star: Elvis, perhaps?

"Well," Burton says in a Louisiana drawl, "I know most of the Elvis impersonators and so far I haven't seen anything come close. I think it would probably be impossible to find another Elvis. Not in my lifetime, I don't see it happening any time soon."

But hasn't 67-year-old Burton got word of perhaps the most famous Elvis impersonator, new INXS frontman J. D. Fortune?

"Haven't heard of him," says Burton, who seems to have recorded with everyone but INXS, including Roy Orbison, John Denver, Johnny Cash, George Harrison, Frank Sinatra, Henry Mancini, the Byrds, the Everly Brothers, Tina Turner, Dolly Parton, Linda Rondstat, Willie Nelson and the Mamas & the Papas.

What is it like performing with a dead frontman, then?

"It's amazing," Burton says. "You can see what it would have been really like when he sang Love Me Tender. You see, when I'm onstage, I can just close my eyes and I feel him, I close my eyes and play and I can feel him there, you know; he's singing and I'm playing, and it's like he's there."

source

• Members
Originally posted by John Sayers

james played with Rick(y) Nelson too...Ozzie heard him playing in a club in LA...Brought him home, he actually lived with the Nelsons for awhile and become part of Rickys band, he was always featured on the show when Ricky was playing at impromptu parties at the Nelson household in front of a bevy of starlets...only family on TV with a Coke machine(soda) in the garage.

• Members

Another thing about Elvis shows, is that he did a live concert from Hawaii that was the first billion viewing audience world-wide tv broadcast.

I think he got paid $20.00 and all the beer and 'ludes he could do for his performance.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by ronnie rawhide

She played bass on 'First Cut is the Deepest', when I saw her live...damned good too. She mentioned that Cat Stevens penned that song before starting to sing.

I don't doubt her abilities, but Sheryl Crow isn't the first name one thinks of for playing bass, even among female bassists...

• Members
Originally posted by 2180

Another thing about Elvis shows, is that he did a live concert from Hawaii that was the first billion viewing audience world-wide tv broadcast.

I think he got paid $20.00 and all the beer and 'ludes he could do for his performance.
:thu:

he forgot the words to 'Jailhouse Rock"' during that concert... kinda funny, kinda sad.

• Members
Originally posted by shniggens

Sheryl Crow?
:freak:

Couldn't they have at least used Paul McCartney?

Sheryl Crow?
:freak:

Because she has nicer legs than Paul (the former 'cute' Beatle) that now looks like an English Bulldog. Sheryl has nicer legs than Sir Pauls soon to be ex-wife, and even nicer legs than HER ex, Lance Armstrong:p

• Members

Originally posted by ronnie rawhide

Dude, do you remember the 'Shindogs? one of the best house bands in the biz, if you, or anyone else does, show your credentials (and age:) and name some other players.

I couldn't name the players - at the time I was just starting out in TV production, my first job, and I was watching the massive camera work with cranes etc. and the huge set.

But I 'll always remember James and I do remember the Righteous Bros performing on the show. :D

• Members

I couldn't name the players - at the time I was just starting out in TV production, my first job, and I was watching the massive camera work with cranes etc. and the huge set.

But I 'll always remember James and I do remember the Righteous Bros performing on the show.
:D

Cool, did you get to meet my hero Bobby Sherman????:D

• Members

No I don't remember Bobby - I do remember the Everly Bros though. Like how many hit songs did those two guys write and perform.

Bye Bye Love

I Wonder If I Care As Much

Wake Up Little Susie

This Little Girl Of Mine

Brand New Heartache

Hey Doll Baby

All I Have To Do Is Dream

Claudette

Bird Dog

Devoted To You

Problems

Love Of My Life

I'm Here To Get My Baby Out of Jail

Take A Message To Mary

Poor Jenny

('Til) I Kissed You

Let It Be Me

Since You Broke My Heart

Like Strangers

When Will I Be Loved

just a few. Classic.

• Members

No I don't remember Bobby - I do remember the Everly Bros though. Like how many hit songs did those two guys write and perform.

Bye Bye Love

I Wonder If I Care As Much

Wake Up Little Susie

This Little Girl Of Mine

Brand New Heartache

Hey Doll Baby

All I Have To Do Is Dream

Claudette

Bird Dog

Devoted To You

Problems

Love Of My Life

I'm Here To Get My Baby Out of Jail

Take A Message To Mary

Poor Jenny

('Til) I Kissed You

Let It Be Me

Since You Broke My Heart

Like Strangers

When Will I Be Loved

just a few. Classic.

Bobby Sherman and a girl named Donna Loren hosted the show, two talentless pretty poeple, like Ken and Barbie. My brother and I won a lot of local talent shows as kids, singing Everly Brothers songs, 'Cathy's Clown' and 'Take a Message to Mary' are two of my faves, my older brother bought everything they put out on Vinyl from the PX while in the US Army, lots of people seemed to thing THe Beatles were they Everly Bros doubled. When we strated doing Beatle tunes with our band in High School we always were asked to encore with "Your gonna lose that Girl" we had the harmonies and guitar parts on that song nailed down.:thu:

Archived