Any NEW CD's that you like to listen to end to end?

Rabid

• Members

In relation to a couple recent threads, do you have any recently released CD's that you like from end to end? Something released in the last two years. Most of my favorites are either really old or electronic. The only recent pop CD I like to listen to entirely is James Blunt.

Robert

• Members

Being a die hard Beatles/Stones guy it may sound weird but I love the new Pink; 'I'm not dead.' It's got some sma{censored}us disease, but every cut on it is great. The second song, 'Who Knew' I listen to over and over like I did with a new 45 when I was a kid.

• Members

I listen to my son's favorite music with different, less critical ears, but when he started getting into the delightful Canadian band Hot Hot Heat, my "old man" ears perked right up because it reminded me so much of Black Sea-era XTC. Their album Elevator is a real treat, and it is incredibly consistent across its 13 or 14 tracks. I listen to it straight through often.

The XTC influence is overt, and apparently Andy Partridge has publicly stated that he doesn't like them and wishes they and other bands (Futureheads, etc.) would stop trying to sound like old XTC.

Well, Hot Hot Heat has bigger pop hooks than XTC ever had, and far less experimentation and proggy leanings. But some of the songs on Elevator are obvious homages to the hermits of Swindon. You can hear direct references to "Respectable Street," "Living Through Another Cuba," and "Seargent Rock."

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

I actually think both discs play well all the way through!!

Agreed...

I have them play back to back on my iPod all the time and don't even know where disc 2 begins..hehe

Great driving CD!

-LIMiT

• Members

Anything ambient I listen to all the way through most of the time.

While I ride the exercise bike...or do some extensive lying on the floor with headphones on...in the dark...after everyone else has gone to bed...aahhhhhhh..:) :) :)

Latest ambient acquisitions:

Bestiary - Robert Rich (truly stunning synth sounds sound-design. No soft-synths allowed...)

So Flows the Current - Patrick O'Hearn (maybe not hard-core ambient in the sense of drones-only, etc., but still very quiet music. Not the same as soft - "quiet" music played loud is great")

Hmm, it's time I snagged a few new ambient releases...any suggestions?

nat whilk ii

• Members

Sorry, I don't know what my problem is...I can't read any more. Last TWO years.

RHCP (both CDs on "Stadium Arcadium")

System of a Down Hypnotize/Mesmerize (actually, I like the first one much better but can't remember which one that is)

The Pyramids "Birth / Speed / Merging 1976", 2006, EM Records

Wolfmother, "Wolfmother" (good silly fuzzy Sabbath-like fun)

Marimba Cayapas, "T

• Members

So Flows the Current - Patrick O'Hearn (maybe not hard-core ambient in the sense of drones-only, etc., but still very quiet music. Not the same as soft - "quiet" music played loud is great")

Hmm, it's time I snagged a few new ambient releases...any suggestions?

nat whilk ii

The first time I've heard anyone mention Patrick O'Hearn on Hc.

I assume you've got Eddie Jobson's Theme of Secrets.

I got a very cool acoustic album the other day, Dan Aborosie-Around In Circles. A very dreamy album a bit like Nick Drake or John Martyn. Very good album. Worth buying 100%

• Members

Aimee Mann: Lost in Space and the Forgotten Arm. Both are great from start to finish, if you like her style.

Clutch: Blast Tyrant and Robot Hive/Exodus are both good recent albums.

Scissorfight: Jaggernaut - Great heavy rock from NH.

• Members

I try not to buy CDs that I can't listen to from beginning to end. But I don't buy many CDs, and when I do they're usually not recent ones. However, I must say I can definitely listen to Isis' new album "In the Absence of Truth" from beginning to end. Though it's not actually going to be released until the end of this month. But of course, they're one of my favorite bands, so that kind of gives me a biased opinion.

Archived