From What companies you'll never buy from?

ViLo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Saturn: worst piece of crap car I've ever owned/encountered/perceived.

For the rest...

... once a company crosses into that "Self-perpetuating Corporate Entity" the quality and philosophy behind it ceases to matter. If you need a product from such a company, the company doesn't care, and you can't make a blind value judgement based on preconceived notions because of that.

It was probably different, and maybe mattered, between the mid 60's and maybe the early 80's. Now - Sony, Samsung, Microsoft, whoever - all are capable of making something really good, or something really crappy. If you've had a bad experience with them, they don't care if you boycott them or not. IMO it's better to save your energy; if that's the case, in order to better utilize it when you can make more of a difference.

In smaller companies perhaps there is something to be gained by hoping their philosophy actually has an effect either directly or indirectly.

I hate that Snapple gives money to Rush Limbaugh. Hate it. My favorite drink is probably their new green tea.

I can think of 3 perspectives:

1) "boycott" Snapple for endorsing a fascist hypocritical propaganda whore; effectively changing nothing;

2) Embrace the company and strive to have number of like-minded people do the same, in turn hopefully urging a change of philosophical direction in the company via market leverage;

3) Consider that irrespective of the first 2 perspectives, at least my money isn't going directly to one of the Mega Corporations of Coke or Pepsi. thereby partially supporting a vestige of Non-Mega-Corporate America and in turn maybe staving off the Innevitable Ultimate End of Malicious Capitalism.

/ you mean, nobody else here thinks of all of that in the moment one glances at a drink bottle.....?

• Members

Behringer. Caught and nailed in court stealing other companies' designs.

Guitar Center/Musician'sFiend. Need I say more?

My local non-chain music store. I want to like them. They refused to do a $20 setup on a guitar because I hadn't bought it from them. I've bought a few thousand $$ worth of other stuff there, that did not seem to matter.

OK, I'm offering you money, you're a business, um, hello? Dumb as a box of drummers. I'm sure as hell not buying any guitars from them at any time in the future. I guess they showed me!

• Members

Behringer. 4th rate knockoff junk.

GC. Idiots posing as sales reps.

Monster. Making cheap cables rather than good ones, cuz it's more cost effective to replace a broken cable than to make it right in the first place.

I'm sure there's more but it's very BC (before coffee) so I'll amend later.

Digidesign. Forced hardware "upgrades" that are no or not much better for the most part than what you have, but you gotta shell out the dough for it to maintain current software compatibility. (001, original M-box, etc.)

They will never get another dime from me.

• Members

I try to avoid products from any company that has an advertising budget and does mass marketing like magazine, newspaper, radio or TV ads. Their products are always alot more expensive anyways to support that BS marketing crap. Since its hard to find an automobile company that doesn't advertise, I only buy used cars and I won't let the dealerships service my cars (I do most of it anyways).

• Members

Originally posted by FunkyLaptop

My local non-chain music store. I want to like them. They refused to do a $20 setup on a guitar because I hadn't bought it from them. I've bought a few thousand $$ worth of other stuff there, that did not seem to matter.

It's interesting to see that exchange from a customer's perspective. It's a rather childish reaction from the music store - they're pissed that you didn't get it from them. We went through a phase where we were starting to see a lot of guitars brought in for service from non-music "big box" stores. At first the guitar department was reluctant to work on them, but when I took over the department I made it a point to treat those customers with kid gloves instead of disdain: "Yeah, so what, they bought it from someone else. Get to work."

I found by educating them that a broken string did not warrant a return to the big box and showing them how to change and tune it, a trusting relationship was developed and they kept coming back for advice, lessons, and accessories. Almost every time they'd buy their next guitar form us.

FunkyLaptop, when did your experience occur? A lot of these kinds of things were happening from 2001-2004; I'd be blown away if things like this were still occuring.

You wonder why so many indies are not making it... /sarcasm

What part of NCal are ya from?

• Members

I like Snapple because...

Originally posted by chipmcdonald

3) Consider that irrespective of the first 2 perspectives, at least my money isn't going directly to one of the Mega Corporations of Coke or Pepsi. thereby partially supporting a vestige of Non-Mega-Corporate America and in turn maybe staving off the Innevitable Ultimate End of Malicious Capitalism.

/ you mean, nobody else here thinks of all of that in the moment one glances at a drink bottle.....?

Except that Snapple is a brand name owned by Cadbury/Schweppes plc

:o

Scare yourself

• Members

Lexicon.

Once upon a time, I had a dandy little computer audio interface called a Lexicon Core-2. It had 24-bit analog, SPDF & Adat light pipe connections, a sound-effects daughter-card, good sound quality, and all seemed right with the world. Until Lexicon decided to screw me by not providing a new Windows XP driver.

"Forget 'em, they can buy something new from us." Like hell I will...

• Members
Originally posted by thefunkman

Once upon a time, I had a dandy little computer audio interface called a Lexicon Core-2. It had 24-bit analog, SPDF & Adat light pipe connections, a sound-effects daughter-card, good sound quality, and all seemed right with the world. Until Lexicon decided to screw me by not providing a new Windows XP driver.

They were actually ahead of their time with that card, and could have had a fairly big marketshare with that concept today had they kept up, but they threw it away. Even today, they add a USB cable and VST only to control their reverb units interface with no real plugin integration. Seems like they went backwards and let TC and UAD run away with the show.

• Members

Lexicon.

"Forget 'em, they can buy something new from us."
Like hell I will...

You know i had one of those Core-2 cards. I thought the conversion on those things was excellent, especially considering their price.

Bank of America will not willingly get my business. They have screwed me one too many times. Anyway, I think this qualifies as a company you would not want to buy from (credit cards, monthly fees, service fees, etc...). Esentially, by doing business with them, you buy from them.

Lexicon.

"Forget 'em, they can buy something new from us."
Like hell I will...

I have experienced a lot of similar cases, but we must be aware that products -specially computer-related products- are designed with the current generation of computers in mind.

Maybe they designed it for Win 95 and it was able to getup to Win 98Se and even Win ME, but given that Win XP was very different about its internal architecture, many devices created for previous systems wre simply impossible to upgrade with a simple driver.

If it was possible, third-party developers would have done it for free !

Same happened with OS 9 and then OS X. Several good products were never able to get into O SX.

• Members

Originally posted by chipmcdonald

I hate that Snapple gives money to Rush Limbaugh. Hate it. My favorite drink is probably their new green tea.

I can think of 3 perspectives:

1) "boycott" Snapple for endorsing a fascist hypocritical propaganda whore; effectively changing nothing;

2) Embrace the company and strive to have number of like-minded people do the same, in turn hopefully urging a change of philosophical direction in the company via market leverage;

Errr... I'm pretty sure Snapple is owned by Quaker Oats... or Schweppes, or somebody - - they've been getting passed around like an orphan cousin for the last few years.

I would buy any product of quality from anybody. However, from experience, some companies would have to move heaven and earth to convince me that their stuff was worth even considering.

My short list:

GM

Sony

Alesis

Chrysler

Coca Cola

• Members

Originally posted by MattFacingSouth

FunkyLaptop
, when did your experience occur? A lot of these kinds of things were happening from 2001-2004; I'd be blown away if things like this were still occuring.

You wonder why so many indies are not making it... /sarcasm

What part of NCal are ya from?

Return it because a string broke? OMG...

I think my issue was in '05 AFAIK they still have the policy, but I'm not going over to check.

A setup could so easily be turned into a sale. Strings, picks, you need a case? Plus the future biz angle. I sure wish you worked for those guys, but I wouldn't wish that on you...

I'm on the SF Bay peninsula.

And in a vain effort to stay on topic, Gibson is seconded. Partly for buying Opcode and others and then shutting them down. Partly for the head guy, Henry, who you might try googling for interesting stories... Oh, and the overpriced guitars.

Archived