Do You Get Depressed or Happy Around the Holidays?

Anderton

• Members

Seems that for a time of "peace and joy," a lot of people get bummed out...and the dichotomy between the haves and have-nots appears wider than usual.

On the other hand, we had the first big snow of the season here last week, and it added just the right touch as my daughter and I enjoyed the decorations (lit snowflakes in the window) while real snowflakes fell in the distance.

Some people really do get nicer around the holidays, others want to jump off bridges. Where are you in all of this?

• Members

I don't get depressed, I get nostalgic, my childhood memories come back every christmas, altough I was very poor, and rarely got toys for christmas [ or anything], I was very happy, we used to cut a tree branch, placed it on the window and decorated it with cotton, and anything we could find.

Great thread Craig! :thu:

Merry Christmas Everybody! :cool:

• Members

I like the holidays. My birthday is six days from Christmas, I like the days off, I like a lot of it. I like being around friends and family. If I didn't like being around anyone, I would probably try and avoid it.

I don't like shopping for gifts very much, but now that you can shop on the internet and I don't have to set foot in a mall, the holidays are better than ever. If someone could stop people from playing those Christmas songs over and over, it'd be even better!! :D

• Members

I want to jump off a nicer bridge.

I think a lot of people have reflected my take. Yes. Both. I think we tend to have this idealized picture of what the Holidays should be like...maybe they were that way when you were a kid. And you get depressed when they're not like that. You're more aware of what's going on around you, the bad stuff...and I'm not talking about on a world scale. Your immediate circle.

But, you know, we only have a finite amount of these. I think it's appropriate to do whatever you can to get back to the good at Holiday time.

• Members

Happy...... Very nostalgic. Really I'm just glad it's cold.

One thing that's stopped happening is family christmas's where everyone would gather in one place (usually Houston). We're so poor now that it's out of the question half the time.

Now that I realize financial aid is utter {censored} in the United States, it's hard to be thankful for much. How have they helped me? They haven't. I could've quit college and went back to work for seven twenty five an hour and made 3 times as much as I'm making now. It's a joke. :rolleyes:

As far as a wish list, I asked for one thing this christmas to satisfy my "grand" material wants. If I get it, or maybe if I can buy it myself, I'll be satisfied. But what I really want is just stability. I would give the world times ten for that. Things keep continually falling through; it doesn't matter why, it doesn't matter how, it doesn't matter when..... It just keeps happening for no reason at all. I really love winter and the holidays, but this one seems a tad bitter for my tastes.

• Moderators

I get very happy. It's the time of the year my extended family makes a concerted effort to make time for being together. We make sure there's time for one another. That's our number one goal.

It's kind of unheard of in my family not to come together and share our love and respect for each other. I love it.

The thoughts on nostalgia others have shared here go for me as well. All of a sudden I'm a Johnny Mathis fan. I don't really care for the guy, but I'm seem to forget that this time of year... he just sounds right.

• Members

Originally posted by SYN

Happy...... Very nostalgic. Really I'm just glad it's cold.

One thing that's stopped happening is family christmas's where everyone would gather in one place (usually Houston). We're so poor now that it's out of the question half the time.

Now that I realize financial aid is utter {censored} in the United States, it's hard to be thankful for much. How have they helped me? They haven't. I could've quit college and went back to work for seven twenty five an hour and made 3 times as much as I'm making now. It's a joke.
:rolleyes:

As far as a wish list, I asked for one thing this christmas to satisfy my "grand" material wants. If I get it, or maybe if I can buy it myself, I'll be satisfied. But what I really want is just stability. I would give the world times ten for that. Things keep continually falling through; it doesn't matter why, it doesn't matter how, it doesn't matter when..... It just keeps happening for no reason at all. I really love winter and the holidays, but this one seems a tad bitter for my tastes.

I feel you bro, this is my first Christmas since 1998 [When I was laid off after 17 years of service] that I'm actually enyoing it......Hang in there it'll get better! :love:

• Members

I used to be a scrooge. I got over it.

I spent this week-end decorating the house with my wife. The kids will be back from collage in a few weeks and we'll have a blast.

It's all about family for me.

I do wish every one the best this holiday season.

• Members

I think that as I get older I get more irritated/less tolerant of the hype that makes modern holidays. But in Christmas, I find joy in sharing the message of giving and sharing with my little one.

The internal factors I enjoy, the external factors irritate me.

• Members

Been on both sides of the table on this subject depending on the circumstances going on at the time.

Since I've had kids, I don't really get depressed too much and I enjoy the excitement when my kids open their gifts. Regardless of how much or how little they get, we always have a good time together around the holidays.

Often times, we have DESIGNATED holidays that are not on the actual scheduled calendar day for the holiday. My ex husband takes the kids every other holiday throughout the year and then we switch major holidays every other year. On the off years where my kids spend time with their Dad, we celebrate early. When I know that my kids will be with their Dad on Christmas Day, I volunteer to work to allow those junior to me in seniority time off to spend with their loved ones since my kids are not with me. Christmas is the only day of the year where I can make triple-times pay and those that are present that day often work a 12 hour day due to the lack of people in attendance.

I'll usually stop by the folks house after I get off of work for a bit to join in on family gatherings unless I'm aware of feuding that I'd rather not get drawn into the middle of.... Having to work provides a very sleek escape from all the drama that can come along with the holidays. I stay too busy to get too depressed...

I had to work on Thanksgiving Day this year, and I'm guessing that I'll get drafted to work on Christmas Day as well. This is my year to have the kids on Christmas, so if I get nailed to work it, I'll ask my kids if they want to spend the day with their Dad while I'm at work and then pick them up from his place if they decide that's what they want to do. We'll open gifts on Christmas Eve if I have to work on Christmas Day, otherwise, we may wait until early morn on Christmas Day if I don't. Anyway it goes, I'll be dog-ended tired from all the overtime.

• Members

Originally posted by ViLo

I feel you bro, this is my first Christmas since 1998 [When I was laid off after 17 years of service] that I'm actually enyoing it......Hang in there it'll get better!
:love:

I'm sure it will, otherwise I would have plenty of reason to wallow in despair. But I've done that before and it didn't help my situation and didn't help relieve any of my stress. It was a completely and utterly useless tactic. It's not hard to get depressed sometimes...... But it doesn't lead anywhere. I had to actually feel myself run into that emotional wall to understand it's significant mitigation and learn from my mistakes. It hurt greatly.

If it takes a scar, however, that's what it takes. I can't focus on misfortune anymore.

• Members

Depression has been known to lurk during this time and part of the reason is that most lack sunlight during winter months. I quit celebrating in the mid 70's. I like to freely give throughout the year, -not under compulsion. I believe that destroys the spirit of giving and also puts a financial burden on some.

• Members

Speaking of the holiday season:

3 years ago on Dec. 23rd, I was in my car near a shopping mall. A lady cut me off by making an illegal merge in front of me. I honked my horn at her. She in turn waited until the next stop light and then pulled over a little bit. Then she stuck her head out the window and spit a big snot wad onto my car. That's the spirit!

• Members

Originally posted by Mike McLenison

I like to freely give throughout the year, -not under compulsion. I believe that destroys the spirit of giving and also puts a financial burden on some.

There you go. In general, as far as gift giving goes, I make an exception only for the children in my extended family during the holidays. With adults, related and not, I celebrate friendship, love, personal gratitude, "good cheer" and random acts of kindness (the latter being the most fun by far, IMO).

Rick

Archived