Commodore 64 users unite !!

techristian

• Members

I remember, in the early '80s, connecting my VIC-20 up to a bunch of circuit cards that drove solenoids to control the furnace vent dampers on my first house....

It was mostly an experiment, and it ended up eventually blowing up the VIC chip (I neglected to include opto-isolators to protect against voltage spikes from the inductive loads).

But it was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot in the process.

• Members

I have a C128 now but i run it in C64 mode most of the time. The last piece of software I was working on was a PITCH to MIDI converter for the C64. It worked good only with perfect pitch instruments such as a flute but was sensitive to background noise. I coudn't sing close enough to perfect pitch and it would usually slew back and forth betrween 2 semitones. I was going to burn the software to eprom and make it a dedicated pitch tracker. I wouldn't even need a monitor. The software would boot up from the start and hitting the number keys would select the midi channel and octave range.

Some day I may port it over to a 386 based PC to play with. (If I can dig up the source code)

Dan

• Moderators
Originally posted by techristian
I was sent this interesting article. As some of you already know, In 1985, I designed an interface and software to connect the C64 to the Mattel Intellivision piano keyboard with a few other bells and whistles.

Check out the article.

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/e...s.asp?id=41320
Connecting a C64 to the Internet? Child's play! I'm using something a little more sexy than that to post right now! wink.gif

Terry D.

P.S. Ted, did you once write for Compute or Pet Gazette magazines? I've been thinking I knew you from somewhere.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

If you have Kontakt you can use this familiar baby:

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012...e-sample-pack/
C64_Synth_Sessions_Screenshot1.jpg

These are ruff samples, exactly what's needed for Low Tech effienados.Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

edit: I just tested these on the free Kontakt 5 player and they work, if you have any version lower you can load the samples but not the neat presets (sans the all important photo of the C 64)

• Members

About thirty years ago my brother had a VIC-20, Atari 400 and a Radio Shack TRS-80 color Computer.

TRS-80_Color_Computer_1modified.jpg

I didn't know anything about computers but one of the cartridges that came with the TRS-80 was a music sequencing program. This was before MIDI and I don't think I even knew what music sequencing was but I remember spending a whole day one weekend painstakingly programing one of my songs into it. You had to type the notes in on the QWERTY keyboard and it only allowed for two notes, one on the bass clef and one on the treble clef so I just programed a bass line and a melody.

I'm not sure how the sounds were generated but I remember they sounded kind of like early computer sine waves or something. I played the song back a few times but as I didn't know anything about computers I'm not sure if I was aware that you could save your programs. I remember later seeing my brother save programs to a cassette deck but I never programed another song until almost ten years later when I started using MIDI keyboard workstations.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
How they hell did you find out about that?!? Downloading now!!
In my all encompassing search for thing's lofi I stumbled across this gem.wink.gif

(psssst, I really just saw this on the news page at KVR..... don't tell anybody).cool.gif

Archived