Mastering from a domestic multitracker

blackpig

• Members

Greetings. Tell me this. If I record and mix stuff on a digital multitrack recorder is it worth my while bringing the finished product to a mastering studio for a final polish? What are the issues with regard to the format I provide them with? Should I finalise the disc with its tracks mixed? What we're dealing with here is acoustic folk music - guitar, bouzouki and maybe a fiddle or set of uilleann pipes if I can keep him off the drink for an hour or two. Much appreciation for advice is offered. The machine in question is a Zoom MRS 1266. Click on the sig to hear a demo recording that took a couple of hours.

:thu:

• Members

I had my first mastering experience today and I Highly recomend it. Besides balancing all the volumes better from track to track, it also makes the tracks sound a bit more polished IMHO and Makes the finished product sound more consistent for various playback systems/environments. The Format of the original recording is indifferent.

Good sounding stuff btw.

Peace.

• Members

You have, to me, a very nice start. I would redo the vocals. There's a pronounce proximity effect coming in now and again. The singer needs to stop eating the mic.

Other than that you have a nice mix. A mastering pro could help but if you're looking for demo stuff you're nearly there. IMHO.

Oh, the mastering place should well be able to work with wav files.

• Members

Thanks guys, you're very kind. That recording is one that I threw together playing all the instruments and singing myself. The mic was a cheapo Behringer and I didn't even use a pop shield - hence the proximity effect. I reckon that if I took care I could get something out of this machine good enough for commercial release - remember we're talking simple acoustic folk stuff here. I got my paws on a pair of nice tube mics a while back and when the festive season is over I'm going to have some more fun.

:thu:

Archived