Convertor Quality and Renderring

• Members

It's obvious that convertor quality affects the recording of our live tracks significantly (A/D) and our mixing/monitoring judgements (D/A), but, how much does the convertor and/or clock quality affect the renderring ?

I currently use SX3 and clock externally with my ol' TANGO 24/RME DIGI9652 combo.

• Members

If, by rendering, you mean mixing tracks within the software to get a mixed result in an output file, the converter plays no part in that (other than capturing the tracks originally).

OTOH, if you mix 'out of the box', then each track is converted back to analog on the way out to the mixer, and the mixed result converted back to digital on the way back into the DAW, so the converter sound quality will of course play a part. As will everything else between the digital track out and the mixed sound digital input - - wires, connectors, mixer fidelity, etc.

• Members

We've all heard about convertors, clock quality and jitter and how it relates to improved sound stage, depth of field and width.

If you're mixing ITB using quality reverb plug-ins, etc., wouldn't the convertor/clock not only affect how everything sounds (depth/width/tails) D/A, but, philbo you're saying that the renderred file is not affected by a quality clock with extremely low jitter?

• Moderators

Originally posted by eightyeightkeys

We've all heard about convertors, clock quality and jitter and how it relates to improved sound stage, depth of field and width.

If you're mixing ITB using quality reverb plug-ins, etc., wouldn't the convertor/clock not only affect how everything sounds (depth/width/tails) D/A, but, philbo you're saying that the renderred file is not affected by a quality clock with extremely low jitter?

As I understand this... if audio isn't passing through, then there is no effect. Jitter is an issue when the actual conversion is taking place. Bouncing to disc, there is no conversion taking place.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

As I understand this... if audio isn't passing through, then there is no effect. Jitter is an issue when the actual conversion is taking place. Bouncing to disc, there is no conversion taking place.

Yep, that's what I meant

• Members

That's interesting and could be a source of some discrepency.

If, for example, you're using a number of VSTi's (along with quite a few live tracks), you're mix is sounding a certain way through the D/A, but, could conceivably sound slightly different after the bounce to disk. Especially if you're D/A has a favourable quality to it.

• Moderators

Originally posted by eightyeightkeys

That's interesting and could be a source of some discrepency.

If, for example, you're using a number of VSTi's (along with quite a few live tracks), you're mix is sounding a certain way through the D/A, but, could conceivably sound slightly different after the bounce to disk. Especially if you're D/A has a favourable quality to it.

Of course. Everyone seems to saying that.

"Does cutting off your ears effect the mix?" Well... yes and no.

Archived