Hand Cramps

Mr. Botch

• Members

We've had several threads about Carpel Tunnel problems and arthritis here over the years, but I haven't seen this discussed before.

Lately I've been getting cramps in my hands, where my thumb wants to pull over across my palm. Its not too strong yet, and seems to happen when I'm cold the most. It doesn't manifest itself while playing keys or fiddle, but it sure makes itself known when I'm practicing my tenor sax (I just took up the instrument three years ago, and am in my mid-forties) or something simple like turning a book page.

My GF is an RN and told me to get more vitamin C, so I'm upping the orange juice in the mornings. Anyone else have similar cramps, and have any exercises or advice they'd care to share? Thanks!

• Members

With all due respect to your RN GF, you might actually want to see a doc, if it gets bad.

One of my friends just had surgery to repair a congenital condition that only recently started manifesting itself as his fingers drawing inward. Apparently it is a genetic presdisposition distributed by (many of) our Viking forebearers that starts manifesting in the 30s, 40s and on up. (My friend is from Eritrea, of all places, but, well, looks like them Vikings got around.)

I have a similar appearing condition with the middle finger of my right hand. I think it's more traumatic damage than predisposition, though. (I'm working to increase gently increase the backwards flex back to a straigh-up position, but the most I can straighten the finger on its own is about a 20 degree angle.)

It hasn't effected my guitar picking too much -- but it's really impacted by visual communication skills.

:D

• Members

I have had this problem in the past also. It will clear up, it did in my case.

While playing keyboards and fiddle, you hand is basically parallel to the ground and vertical. When playing sax, you hands are horizontal to the ground and you hands and fingers are not used to being in that position by normal standards. Your muscles and tendons will become accustomed to this in a short time. If it does persist, see a doctor although I'm sure it will alleviate itself in no time.

Do you get a "burn" in the front of your forearm and back of your hands also? Right above the wrist? Commonplace with sax players.

• Members

Maybe not what most people would call Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but it does sound like a compressed Median nerve. See the Median nerve controls feeling and movement in the thumb and first three fingers. When there is pressure on the nerve, you get pain and sometimes numbness. It can also affect the forearm as well.

I'd check your wrist position, and see if you can change it a bit. I know your GF mentioned Vitamin C, but many people take B6 for treatment.

There's a bunch of stuff on the web, so I'll stop here.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Botch

Wow. I do get that forearm "burning" a bit, AND I'm half-Norskie. Looks like I've got some more digging to do, thanks for the advice guys!
:thu:

You have tendonitis.

Get a perscription from your doctor for a thumb spica to wear at night, and when you are inactive, or driving, along with some anti-inflammatory meds like Mobic, and maybe a 5-day prednisone pack. Advil/Motrin is helpful, as well.

He may give you a generalized cortisone shot, as well.

An orthopedic doctor can give you a more precise injection directly into the particular tunnel where the offending tendons are.

I've never heard of vitamin C for that, but upping your potassium intake can also help.

Every time you do something strenuous with your hand, put a cold pack on it, afterwards (a bag of frozen peas works great).

Never use heat...while it may feel better for a few minutes, it will actually aggravate the inflammation.

Finally...get a semi-firm bubber ball and excercise your tendons by squeezing it in your palm, and then making circular motions with your wrist, and then squeezing it between your thumb and forefinger (making a circle around the ball).

All this helped me tremendously.

Archived