Question For Craig Anderton

bigolpimp

• Members

I noticed you helped to write the User Manual for the Adrenalinn II.

I dig the unit, and I am not stating such just to be cordial. It really does kick ass. Nonetheless, there have been some questions. Maybe you can help me:

I looked into Continuous Controls for the Adrenalinn II, but such is not a protocol that it uses. The Novation Remote SL 37 I recently acquired, of course, does have the ability to send CC messages to other devices that support it. I would like to be able to exploit ADII's capabilities to the fullest extent using custom templates available on my Remote MIDI controller/keyboard so that I can use it's onboard LCD screens to tweak the ADII without actually having to look up details in the User Manual every single time I don't remember something.

The ADII uses the following types of messages:

1. Only accepts CHANNEL MODE messages, but doesn't send.

2. SYSTEM COMMON messages, but Remote SL doesn't support this format.

3. SYSTEM REAL TIME messages.

4. UNIVERSAL SYSEX messages.

5. Only accepts regular SYSEX messages. Regular SYSEX seems to be the protocol that is used most often for most functions.

The Data structures and data packing into bytes are described in the MIDI implementation chart. Does this mean that I have to start reading code?

Since there are no CC's supported, does this mean that it'll be too much of a pain in the ass to try to tweak using my remote SL, the software editor, or a program called SoundTower in REAL TIME?

What I mean by REAL TIME is the ability to change something like, for example, a flanger setting using one of the encoders on the novation and then strumming the guitar a second later to hear the change in setting.

With no CC support, does this mean that I would have to do a data dump to the Adrenalinn II EVERY SINGLE TIME SOMETHING HAS BEEN CHANGED? This would entail at least several seconds of waiting for even the most mundane alteration.

If that's the case, then f*** all that work. I'd just use the SoundTower editor created specifically for the ADII and pay the $40. If SoundTower doesn't change parameters in real-time, at least I could tweak without having to get a degree in computer science first.

Any thoughts? (Keep in mind that I'm new to MIDI. I'm taking a course for it starting in January 2007).

Archived