Most compact Pro Tools system

nollie

• Members

Craig, I thought a fellow geek like you might appreciate this.

• ), but I'm getting better at them. Most of the time, I'm editing with the E, A, S, D, F, and B keys anyway.

Oh, and the screen is a touchscreen, so instead of the mouse, I sometimes use the included "pen" cursor... but I like having a mouse for the scrollwheel and right-click functionality (new for PT LE and M-P 7.3).

Andy Hong - Tape Op Gear Geek

Never mind... 1.2 GHz Intel Core Solo... do they make a Core Duo of that computer? That would be sweet!

Of course, that $1,900 price tag doesn't make it very practical for me, especially since I leave my cage (studio) so infrequently... but if I was on the road or flying a lot, that would make a great little traveling companion for editing. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Gus Lozada

Basically I have the same -USB Transit / in-ear headphones - + MacBook Pro 15" OR DELL PC Core 2 Duo. Bigger screen, faster processors.

I've been doing everything on my laptop for the last 2 years.

I'm just waiting to see if they'll release any quadcore laptops this comign year to upgrade.

• Members

Originally posted by Henchman

I've been doing everything on my laptop for the last 2 years.

I'm just waiting to see if they'll release any quadcore laptops this comign year to upgrade.

Do you think that is possible? i dont think they will push laptops that far, they didnt do it with single core processors, now with dual cores they "wont see the need".

What do you think?

• Members

Originally posted by mobobog

Do you think that is possible? i dont think they will push laptops that far, they didnt do it with single core processors, now with dual cores they "wont see the need".

What do you think?

What do you mean they didn't push it that far?

I disagree. I've been running my AMD64 bit laptop fopr over 2 years now. They almost immediatly released dualcore laptops when the processors were released.

I'm sure that quadcores are just around the corner.

I guess He refers to the difference among dual processors (where a MoBo actually handled two different CPUs) and it did not exist on laptops.

Core Duo processors is like two, in a single "core" (chip) and a different thing than original "dual processors".

Maybe "Quad" will mean having TWO dual core?

... anyway, I guess there will be Quad laptops or something similar some day soon...

• Members

Originally posted by Gus Lozada

I guess He refers to the difference among dual processors (where a MoBo actually handled two different CPUs) and it did not exist on laptops.

Core Duo processors is like two, in a single "core" (chip) and a different thing than original "dual processors".

Maybe "Quad" will mean having TWO dual core?

... anyway, I guess there will be Quad laptops or something similar some day soon...

Actually I am talking about quadcore, as in 4 processors on one chip.

Quadcore AMD64

• Members

What about those new glasses you can wear that project a high resolution image in front of you that appears like a 70" screen from 10 feet. Truly amazing stuff.

It's from a company called LUMUS. They are working on some amazing technology.

Within a few years this technology will be mainstream. No longer will we have to be tied to big screens and clunky desktops. In-ear monitors with good bass response and with something like Smyth virtual surround system so we won't need speakers anymore either.

All this within something the size of a small handbag.

The future looks bright as the sun.

Ben

• Members

Andy, great setup! Do you do any audio recording with this system? If so, what mic and guitar solution do you use for going into the Transit? Can you plug line-level-out instruments (e.g., keyboards) directly into the Transit with just a 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter?

And while we're at it, what would be a good MIDI controller for this, in keeping with the miniature feel, do you reckon?

Originally posted by Jon Chappell

Andy, great setup! Do you do any audio recording with this system? If so, what mic and guitar solution do you use for going into the Transit? Can you plug line-level-out instruments (e.g., keyboards) directly into the Transit with just a 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter?

And while we're at it, what would be a good MIDI controller for this, in keeping with the miniature feel, do you reckon?

I am not Andy :D but I know one thing or two about the Transit;

You could replace the TRANSIT with a JAMLAB to get a single channel input, but it has a Guitar / Mic Preamp (no phantom power) and stereo output. It is also compatible with Pro Tools M-P.

A Good MIDI controller? Whatever USB. For keeping it MINI, 25 keys. MINIEST ones being those "flat" keys models from M-Audio and EDIROL.

• Members

Cool picture, thanks for sharing that:thu:

I recently picked up a Palm for running Bhajis loops. It's nowhere near as advanced, but it's similar in that you can throw a recording studio in your pocket.

For us in these forums, it seems we enjoy recording and arranging music more than doing a crossword or reading the newspaper. Very cool that we're getting to a point where technology is catching up and giving us a chance to make music whenever and wherever.

Me personaly, digging it, very cool, happy to have such cool tools in my lifetime...

• Members

I like how they put a few coins there, just so you can get an idea of how small this whole setup really is. I agree with Gus that the screen is really small and difficult to do editing, but it's still cool.

I like Dean's, er, "projection" for the future (never one to run away from a bad pun...).

Archived