Cubase 4 Review? Hey Craig

Jotown

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Hey Craig;

I saw you listed Cubase 4 as one of your first ten must load app's; still no review. I have been waiting for the 4.1 version and hoping to see a review. Cubase 4.1 has been out for a few weeks now. What say you?

Its one of your "Must Have" app's. Will you be doing a review?

Can you tell us anything about your experience with the program that would make me jump into it from SX3.1?

Just curious as I trust your judgement and opinion.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Good questions...when Cubase 4 came out, it wasn't quite ready for prime time. So I figured I'd wait for the update. Now the .1 update is out, but at this point, Cubase 4 is kinda old news, what with new versions of Sonar, Logic, Audition, Live, and Pro Tools coming out of the woodwork. So I've been doing power app alleys and such in EQ magazine on Cubase 4 to give it some coverage.

I used Cubase for many, many years before adopting Sonar as my primary platform back in 2001 because of its loop-handling capabilities, which at the time, Cubase didn't have. As a result, Cubase still has a familiar feel and I use it a lot for testing plug-ins and such in the course of writing articles. Also, it's the only way I can use the Quadrafuzz, which is important to me. So I still give it quite a workout.

If you're happy with SX3.1, remember that Cubase 4 won't run DirectX plugs - so if that's important to you, 4.1 might not be a good move. What I really like about the update is that you can now load Sequel programs into Cubase for additional editing (I think Sequel is cool).

I don't see doing a full review any time soon, but you might want to poke around the Cubase forum and see what people are saying (remembering that a lot of them like to complain!).

• Members

Good questions...

If you're happy with SX3.1, remember that Cubase 4 won't run DirectX plugs - so if that's important to you, 4.1 might not be a good move. What I really like about the update is that you can now load Sequel programs into Cubase for additional editing (I think Sequel is cool).

I don't see doing a full review any time soon, but you might want to poke around the Cubase forum and see what people are saying (remembering that a lot of them like to complain!).

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what Sequel is so I haven't used it. Yes; the lack of DX support was another reason that I didn't upgrade.

You got that right about the complainers at Cubase.net

Oh well. If it ain't broke why try fixing it.

Thanks again.

• Members

Jotown, FYI.

I working on Cubase 4.1 but aslo I have SX 3.1 available after updating, so you can use both when you need them. You can't upload C4.1 project to SX 3.1., of course.

So what do you like better in C4.1 thatn in SX3?

I have my waves stuff and though I don't use it much it would still be a drag not to have it. I have the Powercore, UAD and Lexicon devices for plugs.

I guess I'm just not sure whats better and worth the upgrade.

Thanks for your post.

• Members

How do I do that?
:confused:

I don't know how old your bundle is, but Waveshell .dll has been included for the last couple years or so. The installer usually asks you where your VST folder is during install, if not it might already exsist in C/program files/waves. If so just simply copy the waveshell.dll to your VST folder and scan it like any other VST plugin. If you don't have that .dll, I'm pretty sure you can download the latest version from Waves if your a registered user. Of course, in your DX compatible hosts you'll have 2 Waves folders(DX and VST).

• Members

Jotown

I've been running C 4.1 and really enjoying it, it's running smooth as a baby's bottom for me. Not running dx plugins is not a big deal for me. Maybe C3 is all you need for now but take a look at the new features and see if there's anything that would be of interest to you. Of course check the Steiny forums for any issues that may hinder you, so far there's nothing that's a deal breaker for me.

For me track and mixer presets are a time saver, reorderable inserts are very cool too. Also the stock Eq's are much better than C3.

• Members

Jotown, I agree with dman - it is much more easier and more convenient to deal with track and mixer presets, and copy and paste feature is great. I also like these new VST 3.0 plugins and the Halion sounds.

In version 4.1 there is a side-chain and new routing capabilities. One feature I missed from analog days is the ability to use send from one effect to another. For example send delay on the vocal track to reverb. Now I can do this.

Again, when I need my old DX plugin I can print the track and use it in SX 3.1

• Members

Do any of you think that 4 sounds any better than 3? Is the audio engine truly better? Is the mix bus really better sounding in 4 than in 3?

I haven't noticed any sound differences as I don't think the audio engine was changed, just altered. One nice thing is that when you change things like vst connections it's much snappier now.

• Members

Jotown, don't update until you finish your project, please. I had a nerve to try to update to 4.1 with almost finished project (I know it's a bad idea) and spent some time rebuilding it.

When I was updating from SX 3.1 to 4.03 it was pretty good, no problem. From 4.03 to 4.1 - no luck :( Also, reading cubase.net I got the point that every system is different, what works for one won't work for another.

My overall impression - Cubase 4 is good.

Archived