Powered Speaker Longevity Question

beldanjo

• Members

Question:

Should I get rid of my powered speakers and replace them with passive speakers and a powered amp?

Why I am asking the Question:

I have been told that powered speakers generally do not last for two reasons: 1. Vibrations caused by the music cause hairline cracks in speaker circuitry, and 2. The "indestructible" yet inflexible polymer materials they are made of do not absorb the normal impacts of moving the speakers around for different venues so that over a period of time they will routinely require repair.

My Experience with Powered Speakers:

In my church enviroment, I have two JBL EON 15G2 powered speakers, and two Mackie SRM 350 speakers. I have had no trouble with the EON's. The Mackie's speakers were a warranty replacement for a couple of Crate PSM15P powered speakers. I took the Crate speakers to youth camp, and children's camp, and they just quit working. After they quit the second time I was offered the Mackie speakers as a warranty replacement, and jumped at the oppurtonity just to have something that would actually work. I have only had the Mackie powered speakers for a month. At this point I am wondering if I made a serious mistake purchasing powered speakers at all. My EONS do not travel for this reason. Anybody have advice from a similar experience?

• CMS Author
Originally posted by beldanjo

I have been told that powered speakers generally do not last for two reasons: 1. Vibrations caused by the music cause hairline cracks in speaker circuitry, and 2. The "indestructible" yet inflexible polymer materials they are made of do not absorb the normal impacts of moving the speakers around for different venues so that over a period of time they will routinely require repair.

Cheap junk breaks. Good stuff just keeps working. If your powered speakers failed mechanically, you didn't pay enough for them. Simple as that. The JBL Eon and Mackie SRM series are kind of on the borderline. They should work well for a long time if you handle them with reasonable care.

• Members

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for quality and I paid about $1400 for the two 15" G2 EONs. That is more than I ever dreamed I would pay for speakers. Unfortunately when I needed two more I setteled for the Crate PSM15P speakers for $800.00. I guess I'm happy with the Mackie SRM350's, but not really. They don't have enough bass. They wouldn't send SRM450's to replace the two Crate Speakers (but those are still only 12" speakers).

What should I look for to determine if a powered speaker is really quality or not? I live about two hours away from Atlanta, and there is really no place to hear pro audio where I live. I had ordered some speakers on the internet on the basis of advertising, and ended up returning them after hearing their sound. I had to pay a restocking fee, and the shipping was steep.

Can anybody point me to some specific brands and models of powered speakers with great sound that will be reliable?

What about Peavey Speakers -- the powered ones that have the black widow 15' woofers?

• CMS Author

Originally posted by beldanjo

What should I look for to determine if a powered speaker is really quality or not?

I don't see that any reasonably good quality speaker shouldn't last a long time if you don't abuse it. JBL is good, as is Mackie. But you need to look at the range of products that a particular manufacturer makes, as well as how a particular company fits into the whole universe of manufacturers.

For example, Crate is an overall inexpensive product line. If you're careful about transporting the speakers and don't overload them, they'll last, but if you get a lttle careless, you'll be putting them at risk. Peavey makes a very wide range of products. If you want to get a reliable speaker from them, look at the top of the line, not how much perceived performance you can get for your money (bang for the buck). Same with E-V.

JBL is in that same boat. The systems that the big tours take out use a lot of JBL gear (including some powered speakers) but that's in a totally different class than the EON or other "portable musician" speakers. Those use similar components and get the benefit of JBLs designs, but they cut corners on materials and manufacturing to bring the price of "professional" grade equipment down to what a working musician can afford. EAW makes heavy duty gear, and when they need a "popular priced" product, it gets the Mackie name. Crate was around before LOUD acquired them in the St.Louis Music deal, so I suspect that there isn't a lot of Mackie in Crate designs, at least not yet. Community makes a pretty wide range of speakers, and they're all solid, but I'm not sure if they do powered speakers.

Behringer is an outlyer. Their reliability record goes all over the place. You could get lucky, but if you're unlucky, at least you haven't spent much money. But it's a drag to get to a gig and find that your sound equipment doesn't work.

• Members

Thanks again for the replies. I had a really bad expereince with the crate speakers -- you're right. It's a bummer to get everything set up and have the speakers not work.

I think I will keep my EONs at the church for the time being, and take the Mackie SRM350s to camp. I am really glad that LOUD replaced the crate speakers with Mackies. I was told that they would be a lot more reliable (although I was sent factory 2 refurbished speakers).

I guess you get what you pay for, and those of us who cannot afford the top of the line will have to be extra careful with our gear to get the most out of it.

Archived