Wow, talk about snow...

Anderton

• Members

I live in New Mexico, and people think the climate is like Phoenix or something...but I'm in the high desert, and it definitely snows in the winter. And man, it is snowing! Can't get out of the house, even. It started snowing yesterday and my trusty VW bug got me home just fine, but it's been snowing all night and all day...looks like about 10" of accumulation, maybe more. They say there's well over 18 inches in the Santa Fe ski bowl, Taos, and Angelfire.

There's supposed to be another storm system coming in this weekend, looks like my daughter's going to get her white Christmas :)

I better go get some of the snow off the roof over the outside portal, looks like it might cave from the weight...

• Members

Originally posted by shniggens

Meh, that's nothing.

Just talked to my friend in Denver, looks like he might become the rescue SUV for his neighbors, who went to work against better judgement. I was thinking of heading out there - I need to get away. This fall and early winter has been one of the darkest lows of my life, but things are looking up somewhat. We live in the path of the same storm, but it looks like we'll miss the white stuff. We all need moisture, though, so shoveling snow is sometimes a fair price.

• Members

Yep. It's been constant since 5:30 this morning. I was up and on the 'net when the first flakes started falling; we've shoveled the walk four times today, but you'd never know it. Still coming down.

Had the day off from work, probably will tomorrow, too. Same with the Mrs.

Getting a lot done in the studio (cleaning, organizing, etc.). Maybe tomorrow...I'll...I'll...get to practice all day?!?!:eek:

Still, Craig...better than a hurricane, ja?:thu:

• Members

Haven't had any snow to speak of here in eastern Iowa, except one day last month when there were 1 to 1.5 inch flakes falling for a few minutes.

Can't say I miss driving in it, but it sure brightens up the landscape a bit - - it gets pretty damn dark around here this time of year.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

>

By high desert standards, it is! Not by Denver standards right now, though...

Hopefull Taos gets their fair share! I :love: New Mexico . . . It's like Colorado, but not so crowded.

I barely made if home from work last night. Almost got stuck at the end of my street, then plowed full speed into the 3' drift in the middle of my driveway. Took a good 45 minutes do dig my car the rest of the way to my garage. I gave it my best try to make it all the way, though. :)

Like Offramp, I have hibernated in my studio today, messing around with this and that. Twiddling knobs and pushing keys. Anything to delay the monumental task of shovelling my walk and driveway. At least it's the light fluffy variety of snow. I'm gonna wait for it to quit snowing first. It's not showing signs of stopping, though.

We have a hot tub in our back yard that we can't see. That's how deep the snow is. Our dog doesn't even know where to do his business for fear of drowning.

Excuse me while I throw another duraflame log on the fire. I love snowdays. :cool:

• Members

We were just talking about how funny it is that they shut the Highways down in CO, and shut the Denver airport down etc, for a foot of snow! We've gotten over a foot in the last day here and everything hums along fine..Almost 2 feet has fallen this week!..I will say this though...EASILY 98% of the cars on the road are either 4WD or small front wheel drive vehicles that perform VERY well in snow. Also, nearly everyone has Studded snow tires on their vehicles which people in the wintery western states should run as well. They make a HUGE difference for control and stopping. 7 Months of winter up here, so people get used to driving on a basically a sheet of ice most of the winter. THey don't use salt to get rid of it on the roads, just thow layers of gravel down that get inbedded in the layer of ice that is left after the plow goes through....

On a side note, I'm the only person in Alaska that has a 2WD Blazer that I bought when I lived in FL in 03! I'm up on the side of a mountain right now and I haven't been able to drive the truck since October because I can't get back up the mountain Road if i do!! It's sitting outside covered in Snow and i'm driving a little Escord Wagon front wheel drive...Gotta get rid of that Truck in the spring for sure! LOL

• Members

Originally posted by sventvkg

We were just talking about how funny it is that they shut the Highways down in CO, and shut the Denver airport down etc, for a foot of snow!

I live about 10 miles from the airport and we have about 3 feet of snow in our yard. I don't know where you heard a foot.

• Members

Originally posted by shniggens

I live about 10 miles from the airport and we have about 3 feet of snow in our yard. I don't know where you heard a foot.

Oh...That changes things a bit...3 feet of snow will definitely grind a city to a halt!! Have fun digging out down there! I understand your plight. :)

Archived