The Last Parking Meter

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

No, not the last parking meter ever, but yesterday, the last remaining mechanical clockwork parking meter was removed from New York City. They're all digital now.

My father was a watchmaker, and he learned his trade by repairing parking meters for the city of New York in the early 1930s.

I wonder if there are still watchmakers (that is, people who repair watches) or if there are only battery changers?

• Members

Yeah... first the checker at the supermarket and now the boxpersons...

I recently had to run back into the supermarket to pick up a couple things I forgot -- salad dressing and Drano.

I wasn't paying attention and when the boxperson handed me my bag I said, Uh, could I get you to put the food and the caustic poison in separate bags?

Normally I watch that stuff because I actually had a nasty toilet cleaner bottle leak from an unsecured cap into my then-new car (and brother was I ticked off) forcing me to do some serious and very fast first aid on my upholstery.

Bring on the robots.

• Members

Originally posted by MikeRivers

I wonder if there are still watchmakers (that is, people who repair watches)

yuppers, not only watch repair/regulator guys , but actual watch fabricators both (relatively) large and small

It's become more of a specialty/jewelry item, but totally available -- oddly that may be a return to the very very old ways when portable watches were not ubiqitous

Archived