Today is my Birthday

dahkter

• Members

Greeting MP Fam,

Hitting the Big 35 today, feeling good and thankful to be hear(sic).

This is my first thread to say, hey, it's my birthday, just wanted to say what's up, been enjoying the site for a good five years, good times.

Best to all,

the Dahkter

Originally posted by dahkter

Hey Gus,

yeah, i think the capricorns are cool people, they usually get overlooked being so close to Xmas. Pretty much every year on my bday I'm out buying gifts for people, very bizarre...

but in the other hand... in your case, you have Xmas around the corner so well, you can celebrate it and enjoy some days out of the office!

... and in my case, it's always around the Winter NAMM show, so I can see lots of friends and play with a lot of toys :D

• Members

:thu:

hey MP,

Many thanks for the positive vibes and virtual cake, diggin it big time!

Gus, get your geek on a the namm show, I do get a little breather from the day job, so yeah, I'm gonna try to flesh out a few unfinished pieces I have laying around the HD. Also gonna get the kids some new instruments for Xmas, gonna be a good time!

best regards, gonna ride this thing out for 53 more minutes!

• Members

A bit of time after my thirty-fifth birthday, I realized that every new day I was closer to fifty than twenty. My son was almost two and my daughter had yet to poke her head into this world. Reagan was president and I had nearly quit playing guitar because of a bone spur on my left thumb.

My birthday next month (1-11, which is also the birthday of banned forumite Doug Wilson) will be shadowed with the sadness that my mom and I won't be celebrating it together, as hers was the day before mine. I always said that was a good thing, otherwise, how would I have been born?

Well, a few years after that thirty-fifth, a co-worker asked me to come jam with his band, as they were looking for a rhythm guitar/keyboard player. I found that I could play my old Tele without too much bother - it seems that my thumb had gotten used to the bone spur. I also had a reason to get with the program on keys. Now I'm getting ready for carpal tunnel surgery the day after Christmas on my left wrist so that I can get back with playing guitar for extended periods without my fingers going numb. I used to think that geezers focused too much on their physical ailments. Just listen to me now.

Anyway, this coming birthday will be one of great reflection for me, as I have retired from the job that probably accelerated the carpal tunnel, and will not have had a job for a year. I had lots of plans for retirement, some of which got postponed by that daughter and her daughter, born just as Katrina was hitting N.O. Off and on, I have been grandpa daycare, something that is both blessing and burden.

Age is just a number and birthdays are just a date unless you are the one experiencing them. I have lots of plans still. I bought a camper, went to a bluegrass festival in Winfield, KS and had a wonderful time. I had been there in the early seventies and vowed that I would make it back. What a change. There may have been two thousand show up then, now it's well over ten times that number.

I plan to go to many other musical events next year, with the hope of writing a book about jam sessions and open mics. Sitting with my mom in her last days, I reflected about how resiliant we are, how when pain and circumstances tell us we should tap out, we still struggle on.

Sorry for the hijack, Dahkter, I'm in a strange mood this morning. Many happy returns.

Henry

• Members

interesting read thank you,

it's nothing but a number, nothing but a date, but it does definitely frame things in a certain way. It's kind of like the 100th issue of a comic book, it definitely makes you reflect on the series so far.

Enjoying mine so far, and this MP spot has been a fantastic add. Merry Xmas and all other seasonal holidays,

Dahkter

PS - thanks everyone for the kindness...

• Members

interesting read thank you,

it's nothing but a number, nothing but a date, but it does definitely frame things in a certain way. It's kind of like the 100th issue of a comic book, it definitely makes you reflect on the series so far.

Enjoying mine so far, and this MP spot has been a fantastic add. Merry Xmas and all other seasonal holidays,

Dahkter

PS - thanks everyone for the kindness...

• Members

Originally posted by dahkter

Greeting MP Fam,

Hitting the Big 35 today, feeling good and thankful to be hear(sic).

This is my first thread to say, hey, it's my birthday, just wanted to say what's up, been enjoying the site for a good five years, good times.

Best to all,

the Dahkter

dahkter....

35!!! The socks I have on today are 37 years old!!!

Happy Birthday! (Bruce sings 1 verse of "Darling You Are Growing Older!!! to dahkter)

Bruce Swedien

:cool::thu::cool:

Archived