Are the creative people destroyed by the wars?

• Members

I, for one, am, I can't be motivated to write music anymore with all the war and death going-on.

It's just to consuming for me to know that we are in a horrible situation with these wars that the president has made, that I feel I won't live long enough now to see a better world where a creative, healthy and happy people are going to thrive.

Sorry, if you are bummed-out by this, it's just the way I FEEL.

:confused:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If Jackson Browne can write "Lives In The Balance" and "For America", hanging off the threads of inspiration and despair of which you speak, then there's nothing to stop you from making a POV resound in your own unique way. Get to it. It will surprise you.. and me.

• Members

I used to listen to some Jackson Browne, but he did beat-up Darrel Hannah, punching her in the face, I just don't like dudes whom hit women, it's simply not required, just reactionary in the most juvenile form.

So, he's the guy I'm to be inspired of?:thu:

• Members

Well, the 60's was a pretty turbulent period of time in our history, and was also major watershed of creativity.

Consider Gospel and the Blues which was created by people living under conditions neither you nor I could ever could ever fully appreciate.

Great art often comes from people who are miserable in one way or another. It's their release...their escape. In fact, once their situations improve and their lives become more stable and content, their art usually suffers as a result.

The fact that you feel an emotional connection to this so-called "war" should inspire you to create.

In fact, I think the current state of music would benefit greatly if they reinstated the draft. That would get people passionate again.

• Members

Super, you had me going until the draft thing.

Do you really want a draft?

Yes, that would piss everyone-off and therefore glean some new musical expression, albeit mute point if you were the consigned-one involved.

On that point, it would be interesting to see if anyone showed-up for the casting call of being a soldier in a really nasty war?:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by 2180

I used to listen to some Jackson Browne, but he did beat-up Darrel Hannah, punching her in the face, I just don't like dudes whom hit women, it's simply not required, just reactionary in the most juvenile form.

So, he's the guy I'm to be inspired of?
:thu:

According to who? The National Enquirer? I mould my entire life around their every word. :freak:

You were decrying a lack of inspiration because of inspiration itself. It's everywhere.

• Members

Sorry clave-dude, she won a legal dispute as to the beating, and it wasn't faked, he beat her and I cannot stand for any man that beats a woman or a child for that matter.

It's all the same, never hit a woman or child.

• Members

Sorry clave-dude, she won a legal dispute as to the beating, and it wasn't faked, he beat her and I cannot stand for any man that beats a woman or a child for that matter.

It's all the same, never hit a woman or child.

Well, 2180,

Google offered up this.

I don't quite understand why you have chosen to deviate from your primary topic. I am 100% on your side about abuse, not just of a woman or a child (I fail to see how it escalated to this) but of any human being.

Your source, for clarification, would be appreciated.

• Members

Super, you had me going until the draft thing.

Do you really want a draft?

Not to get political here, but yes, I think a draft is a great idea.

The problem with this war is that it doesn't really affect anybody here. Nobody is really invested in it. We read about it, but it hasn't really affected our lives. We're not even paying for it.

If they started up the draft again, and started rationing goods, people would start getting more involved in the decisions our government makes. When something hits you personally it takes caring to a whole new level.

• Members

that I feel I won't live long enough now to see a better world where a creative, healthy and happy people are going to thrive.

surely these war mongering idiots who see violence as the only solution to currrent world problems, will have their day. I believe they have - and it's downhill for them at this point in time.

• Members

Ok, back on topic, why in Gods name are they wanting 30,000 more troops in Iraq and McCain is talking 100,000 more.

Isn't that a peace on earth, goodwill towards man approach, what in the hell is wrong with these people?

This is Christmas, a time for PEACE, assholes!! I can't say it LOUD enough!

Why don't these politicians just come out and say it, "have a bloody death and murdering christmas", "peons". "Enjoy your shopping for all the cheap Chinese crap".:wave:

• Members

The sad truth is that misery spawns creativity. Some of the best art was not born of happiness, but of pain. So, to say that creative people are destroyed by war (aside to those lost in war) is rather backwards. One needs only to look back at the sixties to see this happens more often than not.

That said...it's good to speak out against war, or injustice, or whatever...it's good to have a higher agenda. But, it's arguably better to work at change on a level where you stand a chance of making that change happen. In other words...if you wish to speak out against the war, first work to end violence in your own neighborhood or city.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

The sad truth is that misery spawns creativity.

That's definitely true, and not only because of war. Notice how many fat, aging, rich rock stars can't write anything near as good as when they were young struggling artists faced with much adversity. When they become knighted, that's usually an indicator that they're washed up and complacent. :D

• Members

Maybe I'm just not listening, I honestly cannot listen to the radio anymore, but are there any good anti-war songs out now, maybe ones that aren't rap? The rappers are cool, but I liked the good rock anthems against war.

Seems like the folks whom wrote good songs anyway, wrote good anti-war songs too, ala John Lennon (probably the best at it) anti-war songs that is.........I guess Neil Young is still plugging away with it. I wish he'd have a million person anti-war concert in DC next christmas, we'll still be at war no-doubt (with Mr. Insanity smirk-boy at the helm, he must be insane, he even acts like Ted Bundy).(sorry almost went political) ha-ha.:thu:

• Members

Maybe I'm just not listening, I honestly cannot listen to the radio anymore, but are there any good anti-war songs out now, maybe ones that aren't rap? The rappers are cool, but I liked the good rock anthems against war.

What on earth does radio have to do with anti-war songs? The radio is concerned with pacifying people...giving teeny-boppers their dose of Britney Aguilera or the flavor-du-jour, or pacifying oldsters with harmless Whitney Dion-meets-Elton Bolton or whatever. Listen to college radio, not corporate crap.

Don't worry about listening. I think I could guess what Lennon would say if he were alive...he'd say "Don't listen. Write something. If no one else is the voice, you be the voice".

• Members

Seems like the folks whom wrote good songs anyway, wrote good anti-war songs too, ala John Lennon (probably the best at it) anti-war songs that is.........I guess Neil Young is still plugging away with it. I wish he'd have a million person anti-war concert in DC next christmas, we'll still be at war no-doubt (with Mr. Insanity smirk-boy at the helm, he must be insane, he even acts like Ted Bundy).(sorry almost went political) ha-ha.
:thu:

One of my favorites:

Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore - John Prine

• Members

I, for one, am, I can't be motivated to write music anymore with all the war and death going-on.

It's just to consuming for me to know that we are in a horrible situation with these wars that the president has made, that I feel I won't live long enough now to see a better world where a creative, healthy and happy people are going to thrive.

Sorry, if you are bummed-out by this, it's just the way I FEEL.

:confused:

If you let world situations stifle your creative output, you are destined for low creative output.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

I think I could guess what Lennon would say if he were alive...he'd say "Don't listen. Write something. If no one else is the voice,
you
be the voice".

Bingo Tedster.

I also am sick and disillusioned by the current state and feel that the mainstream media is giving us nothing of value to help us or shine light on the situation (in the form of news or art).

Tedster nailed it, stop complaining, create, and make the world better. One person at a time, be positive, be loving, if people think or act destructively, tell them it's wrong.

It's about action, not complaining.

My two.

• Members

There's not much point in wringing your hands over things you have no control of. Unless I am much mistaken, the ultimate idea of war is to destroy everyone on the other side, creative or not.

Or at least it used to be until around 1950 - - then everything changed. Now when an invading army wins, the government they conquered become welfare recipients for eternity, and are forever dependent on them for everything.

There was a movie on the subject, called The Mouse That Roared. In it, a 1/3 acre country called the Duchy of Grand Fenwick finds itself going bankrupt, and so declares war on the USA. Within a day, they surrender, and start sending envoys to Washington to collect their foreign aid checks.

Frankly, I'm surprised more countries in the world haven't tried this method of wealth redistribution.....:D

• Members

Cheese n rice!!!

What are you...some pampered, Beemer-driving, idealistic high school senior who thinks he's got all the answers to the worlds problems?

Get over yourself, and deal with life.

Your bleeding-heart, bed-wetting whining is pathetic, and nobody gives a damn about the fact that your "art" is suffering in an equal ratio to the suffering of the rest of the planet. :rolleyes:

You hit the {censored}ing socio-economic jackpot because you were lucky enough to be an American.

You could have been born a North Korean, Angolan, or Albanian...then you might have understood what suffering is.

• Members

I won't despair over the constructive critical opinions here, I am just at the point of not feeling good about anything going-on. I think there is some really bad karma coming our way for this total sick destruction war thing our leaders have chosen.

If you want to know, I also do original paintings and I am doing some stuff now. I'm stuck for all time in this creative thing, art or music, I'll be poor until I die and I've lived in the hell of poverty because of this, now it's not so bad, I have a good thing now, but I know it won't last.

If you missed the point of my starting this thread, maybe I wasn't clear in my thinking that violence is a destructive force against creativity in "it's" intrinsic sense for the good of humanity, we don't need to write anti-war songs, because we don't need war, period.

Happy Christmas!

Archived