Huge Sounding Drums for your Mixes??

YellowMatter

• Members

hey all, just wanted to let you know that we have a new drum sample CD out that will change the way you mix...

hear audio demos and find out more at:

www.stevenslatedrums.com

Steven Slate has been a secret weapon to some of the country's top mixers, providing them with his ultra fat and punchy array of drum samples. Now you can have them. Happy Holidays!

• Members

I apologize for my companies spam posting here. In my associates defense, there is a lot of pressure to market our new product but that still doesn't account for spamming, and we have had a meeting on this issue and apologize to Phil Craig and all the forum members, its not how I do business.

Steven Slate

• Members

Well, that's refreshing.

It's a hard call on music-related stuff, IMO. I like a good drum library, and would not mind hearing about them in a friendly way - it's the Sales Pitch that bugged me. Better if someone comes in, introduces themselves, & just states their piece, or even look around to find out where the post best belongs.

I did actually go to the site & check out the demos. While I thought they sounded good, they didn't strike me as life-changing. All 3 kit sounds, while really good, sounded pretty much indistinguishable. You've got the same beat three times, and all pointing at some shade of rock - ?

What it sounds like to me, from your description, is that the big difference is that you have pre-processed drums for "punch". That's a fine thing, IF they happen to fit what you're doing. Most every loop set has some sort of processing, to be sure - but I think most engineers would agree that a fairly raw sound is more flexible, and that it's not most desirable to throw more processing on top of already-processed tracks.

Not that there's anything particularly wrong with what you're selling. I just think that the idea that one would just "throw the faders up" and all the work is done is more of an attraction to those who don't want to (or can't) do their own drum processing. Just my opinion.

But anyway...welcome to the forum. :) Hang out & chat awhile. There's some good folks here, and another engineer is always welcome.:wave:

• Members

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are a ton of drums sounds on the disc. The first three drum loops all have different snares and kicks. Its quite obvious to my ears, what monitors are you using? They are quite different sounding. Example 3 is a full mix with a very different sounding, loose, fat, snare and kick. Example 4 has a woody sounding, cracky maple snare.

We've had amazing success with the disc, and the drum sounds have been used in a lot of major releases. Before the release of the disc, I had worked with a lot of mixers in LA and made a lot of custom drum sounds, if you listen to rock radio, chances are you have heard of them.

Frank thanks for giving us another chance, I appreciate your understanding. To introduce myself, I'm a mixing and mastering engineer in LA, and a musician as well. I have a great studio here in Hollywood and have been fortunate enough to work with some great artists.

Magpel, I would love to hear about what kind of drum sounds you DO like. Let me know of an album, a drummer, whatever, because I'm quite surprised that you not only dislike what you were hearing, but HATE.

Here is another full mix, MASTERED, with some kickass, thick, drum samples from the disc.

www.yellowmatterrecords.com/slate/LoatheMasterMS.mp3

Hope you all have a great holiday,

Steven

• Members

Scratch that Magpel, I just went to your myspace and heard your stuff. I though it was fantastic, and I added Sweet Clementine to my own myspace page. Your singer has a very McCartneyish kind of tone, very cool stuff. I have some cool vintage samples that I'll put in a demo form, and maybe you'll dig that more! Either way good stuff,

Steven

• Members

This sample uses a Ludwig Black Beauty snare. Its far from sounding artificial, to my ears at least, and it really cuts in a mix.

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/stevenslate2.mp3

Its definitely not the sound for

"PowerPopBritInvasionGarage HeadOnTrainwreck" :)

but it does have its place in a lot of modern rock and metal. I bet there are some sounds on the disc that you'd actually like, Lee. Given our market is mostly the modern rock and metal guys, the first demos we posted were geared towards them. But we have some vintagey style drums fully mixed on the way.

• Members

Steven, I would never ever offer so bluntly negative an opinion of anyone's work were it not a spam-provoked response.

Now that that's been settled to my satisfaction, the few samples I listened to were certainly professional sounding and I didn't actually hate them. As far as sampled drums go, I prefer them dry, and I prefer an "organic" sounding drum sample with excellent use of velocity layers over "big rock" sounds, but that's just my taste, befitting the kid of music I tend to make.

We cool. :) welcome to the forum, best of luck with the project, and thanks for the kind words about our demos.

• Members

Originally posted by Bang

but it does have its place in a lot of modern rock

Agreed, there.

Most of the drummers in that genre are using tight-sounding, higher-pitched snares with fairly shallow shells.

That sample would work pretty good, IMO...I would probably take the pitch up a couple of cents, though.

• Members

We have had a lot of DFH users test our stuff side by side, including some bigtime mixers. From what they said, DFH samples are thinner with less of a fatter transient, and won't hold up in mix the way these samples will. Not to mention, DFH doesn't have a snare sound like in demo 4, in fact, they don't have even half as many snares and kicks for that matter. Try using DFH sounds for a rock ballad. Furthermore, we do have some hits that sound very similar to the DFH metal drums.

Again, I do like DFH, and it is great for what it is, but our new disc is really for a different purpose and has a lot of different features. Happy Holidays guys,

Steven

Archived