Amazon an iTunes Killer?

JLo

• Members

Not to jump on the DRM bandwagon, but...

Check this out:

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/topnews/wpn-60-20061220AmazontoLaunchDRMFreeMusicStore.html

It woudl seem that there are rumors of Amazon becoming a DRM-free retailer of MP3 files. The only catch is that the price will no longer be fixed by the retailer, but rather the label/artist.

It seems to ba fair approach, as long as the labels don't gouge for more popular artists or singles. Why should I pay 1.50 for Madonna (for example) and $1 for some other lesser known band? Also where will inflation come in to play?

I personally think this is a great idea, and one that has been a long time coming. My opinion is that the VAST MAJORITY of people are honest enough to buy into this type of scenario. They are honest, and are not going to "swap files" any more that they would let a friend borrow a tape or CD already. Most people simply want their music for their own use and could care less about P2P or FTP or anything else.

Those that want to download illegally will find the means and avenues to do so - besides, those people already know any of workarounds for a DRM encoded file anyway.

Whaddya think?

Archived