Music Software Popularity Index

Anderton

• Members

Here are some interesting stats regarding search engine searches:

http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/popularity.htm

Of course, this doesn't take into account sales, number of users, cracked copies, etc...it's just about searches. Nonetheless, it's interesting and I'm surprised to see that Audition is so high up, and Logic so far down.

Well, I don't think you can base popularity on just the amount of searches that are done for a particular program. Sure, you would probably expect a popular program to be the subject of a lot of searches, but if a program has a particularly well-written manual, and maybe good online help and an easily understood and intuitive UI, then the users might not feel the need to do online searches as often. So in some cases and in some respects, not having a bunch of searches might actually be a good indicator for a manufacturer.

Another potential factor IMO would be the subject of software piracy. If someone was using a cracked version, chances are they wouldn't have any documentation at all, and would therefore be more likely to have to do searches about how to use the various features of the cracked software. IIRC, Emagic has a pretty effective protection scheme in place, and I don't think (although I could be wrong) that there's a lot of cracked Logic copies around.

It's interesting data, but in isolation, I don't think we can draw any firm and fast conclusions from it.

• Members

I don't know if I've ever done a web search for any of my music applications. I search or post at online forums instead. I'd only do an Google search if I'd exhausted all other support options.

If other people are like me, then this chart probably doesn't represent overall user interest.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

My guess is that these are newbie users and mostly windows users at that. "Older" more knowledgeable users might probably go straight to the manufacturer's website once they know the address, which would probably explain why fruity loops is so high up there and adobe because of their connection with flash, animation, video, and photo products.

They should also include hits to those manufacturers websites too.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Well, I don't think you can base popularity on just the amount of searches that are done for a particular program. Sure, you would probably expect a popular program to be the subject of a lot of searches, but if a program has a particularly well-written manual, and maybe good online help and an easily understood and intuitive UI, then the users might not feel the need to do online searches as often. So in some cases and in some respects, not having a bunch of searches might actually be a good indicator for a manufacturer... [snip]

Yeah -- but how would that relate to Logic?

:D

• Members

I saw something or read something this past week... I think it was on C-span. An 'expert' was saying that the internet is changing the face of commerce in that now, they realize that searches are a goldmine for what people are interested in. I remember it as being quite a revelation for marketing or product development purposes.

Archived