Sound Levitates Small Animals

Anderton

• Members

One of the engineers at Bose told me about when he used to work at an acoustics research firm in Germany... they had a square room where they could blast sound in a planar wave out of all six sides of the room, and levitate a chair so it was suspended in the middle of the room. Pretty wild.

• Members

The levitated ant tried crawling in the air and struggled to escape by rapidly flexing its legs, although it generally failed because its feet find little purchase in the air. The ladybug tried flying away but also failed when the field was too strong to break away from."

Lovely. Just flippin' lovely.

Too bad they didn't have that technology to suppress the Tian an Men Square pro democracy demonstrations... they could have levitated the struggling democracy demonstrators, writhing in agony in the air, and then dropped them all in a lake or volcano or something... much less messy that running over them in tanks.

Ah, our future overlords...

• Members

I have seen something once before called yogic jumping. It was - well, it was odd looking. There were people sitting cross-legged on the floor, but they were sort of bouncing. I have absolutely no idea how they were doing this because it didn't look like they were moving their legs. But they weren't "jumping" very high, either.

Interesting article and comments (Bose, etc.).

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

I have seen something once before called yogic jumping. It was - well, it was
odd
looking. There were people sitting cross-legged on the floor, but they were sort of bouncing. I have absolutely no idea how they were doing this because it didn't look like they were moving their legs. But they weren't "jumping" very high, either.

Visit Magpel's link.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

But for a positive application, turn on the Levitron in your living, then start the vacuum cleaner
:)
When the floor's all done, turn it off.

And you think air beds and waterbeds are cool? Imagine lying down on sound waves...

Yeah... but if you "lie" on your back, your kidneys turn to mush...

• Members

Originally posted by Antman261

I thought that's exactly what we were talking about.

Although they are also developing ultrasound technology to open up cell membrane for the sake of gene therapy (and I think they have successfully done the cell membrane opening part)

That's pretty interesting.

When I say "levels" -- I'm talking about amplitude.

One of the things that was crucial in the adoption of Ultrasound technology (and I had a friend who was worked for the company in the late 70s when it was just getting rolling) was determining safe levels...

Far as I know they are FAR from enough to even nudge a body sideways by even a fraction of a milimeter -- let alone lift that body off the ground.

• Members

Originally posted by joel Oporto

I think blaupankt did a more practical application

Great ad... can't wait 'til it plays during the 700 Club.

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

I have seen something once before called yogic jumping. It was - well, it was
odd
looking. There were people sitting cross-legged on the floor, but they were sort of bouncing. I have absolutely no idea how they were doing this because it didn't look like they were moving their legs. But they weren't "jumping" very high, either.

As someone who put a fair bit of time into a less than entirely casual comparative study of esoteric traditions, I started off on the side of the Krishna Consciousness folk in a general kind of way... but as the 70s wore on and I became aware of the penetration of a network of high level drug dealers into the organization's hierarchy as well as the rather jaundiced eye cast upon ISOKC by actual Indian religious leaders, I became considerably more skeptical.

By the time the organization was floundering on a sea of derision and they released videotapes of members "levitating" I was pretty curious... when I saw them, I just had to laugh.

I find few scam so pernicous as those that prey on the mentally/spiritually impaired.

• Members

I'm getting the impression that this sort of thing is progressing though. I mean, if they're thinking of targeting specific cells in the body (such as cancer cells) to rupture the cells (for a few minutes) then yeah, must be some advancement going on lol.

• Members

Originally posted by Antman261

I'm getting the impression that this sort of thing is progressing though. I mean, if they're thinking of targeting specific cells in the body (such as cancer cells) to rupture the cells (for a few minutes) then yeah, must be some advancement going on lol.

That sounds really promising... seems to me that's the kind of research that really makes sense.

Some of this other stuff kind of reminds me of those driven by dreams of everyman-as-Edison at the end of the 19th century... "experimenting" with little understanding of the science they were hoping to exploit... "I think what the experiment needs is more TNT!" :D

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

As someone who put a fair bit of time into a less than entirely casual comparative study of esoteric traditions, I started off on the side of the Krishna Consciousness folk in a general kind of way... but as the 70s wore on and I became aware of the penetration of a network of high level drug dealers into the organization's hierarchy as well as the rather jaundiced eye cast upon ISOKC by actual Indian religious leaders, I became considerably more skeptical.

By the time the organization was floundering on a sea of derision and they released videotapes of members "levitating" I was pretty curious... when I saw them, I just had to laugh.

I find few scam so pernicous as those that prey on the mentally/spiritually impaired.

I could be wrong about this, but I believe that it's not the Krishna Consciousness group that practices the levitation exercises. I think it's the Trancendental Meditation group - the one led by Maharishi (who the Beatles went to see in India back in the 60's).

Archived