OT - Some people should not be parents? (The kid got 4-wheeler for xmas)

LiveMusic

• Members

My niece and husband have this little kid, age 5, who is VERY small. His dad is only 5'1". Smallest man I know. But he's a policeman! Nice guy but I think he has some kind of complex about this height.

He has taken this kid deer hunting. WHAT IS THE POINT! The kid is too damn young. Go out for a hike and bond with him but jesus, don't get the kid around 30-06 rifles!

Two years ago, they bought him one of those little electric 4-wheeler things. No big deal, it just putt putts around.

This year? A $900 50cc 4-wheeler. This thing will go 20mph, governed down! This kid hops on and is like Mario Andretti Jr. I was not there when he got it at his house but dad got on with kid to show him some things and they had a wreck. Hard enough that it broke the visor off the kid's helmet.

They bring it to my Gramma's house and the kid is riding this thing as fast as it will go and there are trees everywhere in her yard and the kid is barely missing them. HE CAN'T EVEN RIDE A BICYCLE. Before long, he is fearless on this thing and is really showing off. They think it's hilarious when he rounds curves on 2 wheels. Yeah, that's real funny. The kid knows nothing about how to handle curves.

He races through the water puddles flat out, like any kid would do. Not so much safety concern there, but this thing is not meant to drive through water all day. They will ruin it in no time! It cost $900.

Thanks for listening. I just had to get this off my chest. I say nothing but it is almost more than I can bear. This kid's aunt, when she was a little kid, drove one into a tree going flat out and it cut the hell out of her face. Had to remain in hospital, facial surgery, still has a bad scar.

I just don't understand people.

Actually, I even wonder... maybe there should be a law that you be age 10 or whatever to get something like this. This kid CANNOT RIDE A BIKE!

What do you think? I'd welcome opinions on this. Remember -- he is FIVE YEARS OLD.

P.S. If I *did* let my kid have one of these, I'd damn sure buy him a full-face helmet, one of those that protects your lower face/jaw/chin/teeth as well as your skull. (They did not buy one, it is not full face.

• Members

Originally posted by LiveMusic

What do you think? I'd welcome opinions on this.

What do I think? I think it's child neglect. This child is very possibly going to seriously hurt himself on this thing. It was a complete lack of responsibility on the part of the adults to give this to him or to allow him to ride it. If I were you, I would have said something.

• Members

It's sad some people have to use their children as a penis extension.

To them I say:

Leave them kids alone!

If your penis is that short, put giant tractor tires on your pickup truck! At least that way everyone will know where the problem lies! :D :D :D

• Members

We got back to my mom's house and I said that I actually consider it incredibly irresponsible for them to buy this... that is just idiotic. My mother always wants to keep peace, even though she agrees. She said "Well, their neighbor was buying his kid one, too and she's a girl." I said "Do you mean a 50cc gasoline 4-wheeler or an electric thing that putt putts around?" She didn't know. I said "Well, if it was like this one, then they are idiots, too." My brother is Mr. Laid Back and even he said "Yep, they are all idiots. This is just stoopid."

If this kid gets hurt...

They love this kid so much, I just can't believe how stupid some people can be.

Get this... they also bought this kid a remote controlled airplane. Hell, I'm a pilot and even I had trouble flying it. There is no way in hell this kid can fly this airplane. I don't get it. Do they think this kid is a genius or something? Uh, yeah, maybe they do. They have bragged that his teacher says he is the smartest kid in the class.

I know one thing... he is a HELLION. When he was 2, 3, 4, wow, he was a handful. Just a hellion! He's more likeable now. Thank goodness. He's actually a cool kid but these parents, I don't get it.

• Members

Originally posted by deanmass

So, do you ride ATV's, dirt bikes, motorcycles, etc? (i.e. what is your fame of refrence?)

I have known people who have given their children Accordians for gifts, and feel that these are equally dangerous.

Uh... hmmm... I have no idea what you really mean.

Do you think it's fine that the five year old hellion gets a 4-wheeler? You think he's mature enough not to kill himself? One more time... this kid cannot ride a bicycle.

• Members

I think that's a joke about the accordion.

Regarding the gift, scary as {censored}, I don't htink you'll get anywhere with the big argument (you shouldn't have bought that for him), however you can and should bring up the point about the full head helmet that will protect his head if (god forbid), he does wipe out.

Question, how heavy is this thing? If he's turning and it goes up on two, then it flips, bad bad scene. No one wants to see their kid pinned or get limbs or ribs broken, I would bring that up too.

Whatever happened to buying kids guitars?

• Members

What do I think?

I think I'm gonna say a little prayer for this kid and maybe you should, too. (If you're a prayin' man. ;) ) And tell yourself kids survive ALL kinds of craziness.

But from there on out -- as you clearly appreciate -- it's very dangerous turf for concerned friends and relatives.

If mom and dad think this is an appropriate toy for their five year old, I'm thinking there isn't much you could do besides making your point of view clear... but it sounds like you're afraid that will just push them to be more defensive and perhaps behave in ways that might horrify us fuddie-duddies even more...

So, I dunno.

But I'll say a little prayer and maybe that's all any of us can do.

(... Short of working for sensible child protection laws -- these vehicles have been responsible for a LOT of crippled kids and adults -- I would sooner buy a dirt bike for my kid, I think. And, in a motorcycle wreck [not my fault], my hip was broken, my femur shattered, my femoral artery ripped open [NOT something anyone wants to do out in the country. I was only about five minutes from a hospital but I was pretty much running on straight plasma when they got me there -- I didn't know my blood type! I would have bled out if I'd been in the country. That's another thing -- make sure your relatives know their kid's blood type... that stuff can make a HUGE difference in surviving a nasty wreck]... and my ankle on the other side was shattered, as well, just to make things interesting. Anyhow. Bottom line: trouble is real and it can get REALLY real even at very low speeds. My accident was pretty much about 30 mph... and the car that t-boned me wasn't even going that fast.)

Here's one somewhat heartening thing -- at least it's a four wheeler. The three wheeled ATV's were SUPER dangerous because they could flip so easy. The manufacturers -- correctly in my estimation -- were sued so often and successfully that three-wheelers all but went out of productiuon, I believe. (My city's beach cops just got a set of those things... they're four wheelers but the front wheels are so narrowly separated as to make one wonder if there's much advantage at all. I've seen the cops racing around on them on the beach like brainless fools and it's only a matter of time before one of them cripples himself out there -- or runs over a beach goer -- or both. I can't even IMAGINE what was in the minds of cops. Probably the same jerk-off who lined his pockets buying a pair of $350 MILLION "stealth" helicopters that sound like B-52's going into a high-G turn every time they cruise by...)

• Members

So glad to hear it's a COP who bought such a thing for his kid. If they live in the same municipality he polices, there'll be lax enforcement on the kid...

We're supposed to have respect for cops. But you hear so much about morons and thugs on the force and you see blatant disregard for the law they are enforcing, and it becomes difficult to respect them.

• Members

My point is this..

It depends on the kid and the family.

I have dirt bikes, and have been riding since I was 8. My son got a 90cc four wheeler for x-mas when he was nine, and my youngest has a Yamaha PW 50 which he has had and has ridden since he was 6. Both were required to wear the following; full face helmet, gloves, goggles, chest protectors and moto boots ( not hiking boots or tennis shoes). My eldest son and I went through the Michigan ATV association day long safety training. My son's atv and the 50 are speed governed, that I set. The ATV had a tether on the throttle that killed the motor. I set the speed depending on where we are riding. Open spaces, more speed. Break a rule, dialed down. Hand signals are followed, etc.

Neither has had anything but fun, but they have wiped out a few times. They are not allowed to ride without me present or riding with them. We ride (rode I should saw, cause we did not get out this year) at Maumee State park in Ohio.

The thing is this. The guy being a cop does not matter. The kids probably should not have an ATV not because ATVS are unsafe, but because his parents are not responsible enough to treat/train the sport and machine with the care needed o make it fun, rather than a risk. This kid, from the sounds of it, is just as likely to off himself or others with dads' glock, a skateboard, etc. Not every kid NOR every parent should participate in motorsports. Some people just don't have the common sense needed to do it the correct way. ANYTHING can be dangerous if there is a general lack of respect, safety, etc. Lots of people die fishing. Los of people die painting their houses. Kids die all the time chasing balls and frisbees into the street.

And, three wheelers flipped and were sued out of existence because the geometry of the solid axle drive wheels in the back disallowed the steering to function, not because of speed, etc. You had to break the inside wheel free (i.e. lift it) get the thing up on 2 wheels to turn them, and that made them inherently dangerous. Many people thought 'oh, three wheels=safe' Think of when you rode a tricycle when young. It was easier to turn one way and not the other. The same thing applied here, only with horsepower comes speed, and trees generally don't move. I rode one 1 time, and damn near wadded it up, and I had been riding 10 years at the time...Add in the floaty balloon tires, and it made for some nasty handling characteristics.

So, if this kid had classes, training, supervision, etc, I bet he would have a ton of fun, as a family. If they just let him tear around the yard, it is not a matter of if, but WHEN he gets hurts. It has to be structured in a way that makes it safe. If not, atv's can be dangerous. You can do what you can, so I would tak ehim to the local shop, gear him up and try your best to educate him. Find a nearby riding area. See if there are classes. There are also very specific laws regarding atv's vs. dirt bikes. 50cc and lower are ages 6 and up only, so if the kid is not six, he is breaking the law ( or rather the parents are) and 90cc lower is 12, above 90cc and you have to be 16. This is pretty much a national standard. If you wanted to go hardcore, call the DNR or state police in. The local cop will get over ruled, even if it is private property, because of the age limits.

• Members

This bothers me very much. I work in healthcare, and ever since I saw two kids come in the ER, one was like 7 yrs and was riding an ATV with his sister on back who was probably 3 or 4, and they turned the thing over - I'll spare you the rest, but it wasn't pretty. Little kids have no business playing around with grown-up toys.

Archived