How Many NARAS Members Here Are Voting in the Grammys?

Anderton

• CMS Author

I never joined. I had thought about it when you could buy LPs for $3 and there were some I wanted to buy. Now most of the CDs that I really want to listen to I manage to get given to me.

I never could figure out what benefit I'd get from joining, and I'm not sure I have the "credits" that would qualify me for a full membership anyway. But I continue to keep up my AES membership. I just feel like I should belong to SOME professional organization, if nothing else but for tax purposes (it's deductable) and at least I go to the conventions and occasoinal local chapter meetings when we have them. The local chapter gets a portion of my dues, so it's a little closer to home than NARAS would be for me.

If I were to be associated with the Grammy awards, I'd want to be on the nominating committee. That's where the real value is. There are so many categories that the actual awards are largely selected by people who don't really know much about the genre, but they're aware of some of the names, so that's who gets the votes.

• Members

I've never been on the nominating committee, but there are, if memory serves, three initial rounds of voting before it gets to the final vote that everyone sees on television. During these three initial rounds, the nominations get seriously whittled down.

When all the releases are first nominated, you actually can get some interesting nominations in those thousands of releases. However, during the ensuing three initial rounds, almost all of those interesting nominations get left in the dust.

Technically, I've been nominated for a Grammy for one of my CDs, although it didn't make the first of the initial rounds of voting.

Archived