10 Ice Creams better than Vanilla

Jeff da Weasel

• Members

In other ridiculous comparisons, I'd also like to find out whether Picasso is better than Rembrandt, or if San Pellegrino is a better bubbly water than Perrier, or if Matthew McConaughey is a sexier hunk than George Clooney.

Folks: there are things in life that don't require quantification. In fact, even the tangible things you'd REALLY like to be able to be quantified, like speakers and microphones and guitars, simply can't be. And really, they shouldn't be.

But in anything that's an art form, the very idea that one thing is "better" than another is ludicrous. I guarantee that there's a person looking at this thread who feels that Slayer is better than the Rolling Stones. That Celine Dion is better than Janis Joplin. That BT is better than the Bee Gees.

And that person is right. And the person who feels the opposite is right. We are not brought up to understand such things, and that, in and of itself, is the enemy of creativity. If you can get past this way of thinking, you'll discover it's much easier to find your own voice.

Okay, enough pontificating. I need to go back to determining whether blue is a better color than green.

- Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

In other ridiculous comparisons, I'd also like to find out whether Picasso is better than Rembrandt, or if San Pellegrino is a better bubbly water than Perrier, or if Matthew McConaughey is a sexier hunk than George Clooney.

Folks: there are things in life that don't require quantification. In fact, even the tangible things you'd REALLY like to be able to be quantified, like speakers and microphones and guitars, simply can't be. And really, they shouldn't be.

But in anything that's an art form, the very idea that one thing is "better" than another is ludicrous. I guarantee that there's a person looking at this thread who feels that Slayer is better than the Rolling Stones. That Celine Dion is better than Janis Joplin. That BT is better than the Bee Gees.

And that person is right. And the person who feels the opposite is right. We are not brought up to understand such things, and that, in and of itself, is the enemy of creativity. If you can get past this way of thinking, you'll discover it's much easier to find your own voice.

Okay, enough pontificating. I need to go back to determining whether blue is a better color than green.

- Jeff

Oh... that's just your opinion, Jeff!

:D;):D

• Members

- Jeff

Well, Slayer is better than the Stones. :D-~

• Members

Originally posted by the stranger

Well, Slayer is better than the Stones.
:D
-~

Sure! Why not? Let's say my criteria was this:

- I like really fast lead guitars.

- I like singers who also play an instrument.

- I'm not a fan of blues-based rock.

Slayer wins.

There are no hard and fast rules about this. I wish people could be a little more flexible in their ability to understand why some people like things that others don't.

Here's another question: if this is the case, why do we have art or music critics? I'm interested in hearing your opinions on that.

- Jeff

• Members

There are no hard and fast rules about this. I wish people could be a little more flexible in their ability to understand why some people like things that others don't.

Here's another question: if this is the case, why do we have art or music critics? I'm interested in hearing your opinions on that.

- Jeff

The main role of critics is to sort out who fits what criteria, such as:

- really fast lead guitars.

- singers who also play an instrument.

- blues-based rock.

So that a prospective listener can decide if artist s is even in their solar system. Of course some people like Slayer AND the Rolling Stones, but they still want to be prepared for when they press "play"

The next role of the critic is to help determine if the criteria are well done. i.e. are the really fast guitars in tune, playing fresh stuff, or are they repetetive and boring?

Sadly, many critics fail at these tasks, and substitute their own preferences in place of analysis.

• Members

Originally posted by Billster

Sadly, many critics fail at these tasks, and substitute their own preferences in place of analysis.

Yup!

But I agree withyour reasoning as to why they exist in the first place: to make it more convenient for us to discover/select art forms that we might like based on stuff we already like.

- Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by G Geezer

GINGER ALE
:D

Ginger Ale is a lot like rock music. Some people like the relatively weak and benign taste of Canada Dry, and many people aren't even aware that there are many other types of ginger ale to choose from.

And then they try Vernor's and they're like, "Whoa! What the hell is this?"

And some of them may like it. And others may find it disgusting. And yet others may be ambivalent, but go on to try some other boutique ginger ales, or even a ginger beer if they're feeling adventurous and exotic. But in no case is one ginger ale better than another, unless one is filled with toxic goo of some kind, in which case it should probably be avoided.

Fortunately, most rock does not contain toxic goo, other than the metaphorical variety.

- Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Chocolate

Chocolate chip

Pistachio

Rocky Road

FRENCH vanilla

More chocolate

more pistachio

Did I mention Rocky road?

I can't come up with ten flavors I like better than vanilla! I am teh suxor111
:cry:

Uh, Cherry Garcia, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Peppermint, Pecan Praline.... :D:D

I really like Cold Stone Creamery a lot. It's as close as you can get to homemade ice cream, which is definitely the best!!

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

I really like Cold Stone Creamery a lot. It's as close as you can get to homemade ice cream, which is definitely the best!!

I used to think Cinnabon was the ultimate sin...but that changed on one trip to Cold Stone. The Strawberry Shortcake Serenade is as close to heaven as I'm ever getting.:D

It's funny though how lots of people just can't grasp someone sharing a different opinion. It's like they say, "that's why ice cream comes in 31 different flavors." Like what you like and leave it like that. No explanation or happy list needed to say why you think what you like is better than what Bobby and Sue like.

Peace

• Members

Blue Bunny used to make this orgasmicly killer ice cream... it was a raspberry ice cream with real crushed raspberries and raspberry-filled chocolate truffles mixed in.

I really, really love Edy's Snow Cream...it really does taste just like that stuff we used to make on those snowy days, growing up in the northern 'burbs of Chicago.

I am also partial to Breyer's mint chocolate chip, Blue Bell's banana pudding, pineapple, and peanut butter & jelly (no, really...that {censored} is goood).

Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby, Everything But The..., and whatever's the name of the kind with the caramel core.

Good Humor's Chip Candy Crunch is teh {censored}ing r0x0r! W00T!!!

That's ten. :wave:

Archived