Stupid basic computer speaker question

UstadKhanAli

• Members

I got Klipsch speakers for my girlfriend's PC for Christmas. Only one speaker - the one that has the volume control - works. However, when I listen through headphones through the Klipsch's headphone jacks, it works perfectly and in stereo. Same thing with when I plug in the headphones directly into the soundcard on the computer (the same 1/8" stereo jack as the Klipsch speakers are plugged in to).

- An RCA jack connects the two Klipsch speakers. I've swapped out various RCA jacks for others already

- Bizarrely, we had the exact same problem with the older Apple computer speakers that these are replacing

Anyone have any ideas what else to test for?

• Members

Sounds like a problem with the extension speaker. You could check the connection with an ohm meter & see if you get a reading or not - if not, shorted. If you do, it's probably something with the output from the main speaker.

Or, you could cut to the chase & return it for a pair that works. :D

• Members

Part of what throws me is that this is the exact same problem with the previous speakers, leading me to think that somehow the two problems are related and not just coincidence. I realize that i may be barking up the wrong tree here....I had assumed it was a problem with the extension speaker on the previous set of speakers.

• Members

Is the extention speaker power fro the main one, or on i's own?

If on it's own, run a known good cable to it from a known good audio source.

If not, I have had problems with these 'linked' powered speakers myself. Check to see if one of the pins in he power extension cable is not bent/smashed.

Archived