will digidesign dump an entire line of M audio interfaces?

mobobog

Originally posted by Gus Lozada

me no entiende tu question

Me no comprehende either mi amigo... :confused:

mobobog, are you asking what would happen IF M-Audio decided to discontinue one of their audio interfaces? Or are you saying you have information that they dropped Pro Tools M-Powered support for one of the interfaces it was currently supported on? Or is this just a general "what will happen if...?" type question?

Gus works for M-Audio, so if he's clueless about what you're referring to, I am going to be even moreso - I would think Gus would know if they'd discontinued a interface or something like that - I certainly have not heard anything along those lines, and I can't imagine that M-Audio / Avid / Digidesign would decide to kill the "Pro Tools on M-Audio hardware" project / products at this point.

That doesn't mean that the interfaces won't all eventually disappear. Hardware comes and hardware goes, and very few products stay in the active product lineup forever - especially when it comes to computer-related products. IOW, eventually they get discontinued and replaced by something newer, faster, more feature-rich, less expensive, hopefully better sounding.. you get the idea. But I don't think there's much danger of PT MP getting killed off anytime soon. :)

A little more information:

PT M-P is only compatible with current M-Audio's catalog interfaces.

Once an interface is discontinued, its support will be limited. That includes the chance of not getting new drivers for that interface on newer operating systems and/or certain programs (such like PT M-P). That does not mean that once an interface gets out of the catalog, it will magically stop working with Pro Tools M-Powered. What may happen, is that it will only work with the most current version of it and may not support newer versions.

Remember the DIGI001? Well... even Digi does so! It works only with PT LE versions up to 6.4 -and it does it very well yet- but will not work on newer versions of LE.

An example of that is the "old" USB QUATTRO. It was discontinued about 3 years ago and it is not compatible with Pro Tools M-P. It has not been never compatible, btw. However, the testing department released drivers for the Mac Intel computers for those interfaces, even when they are officially discontinued.

Other products like the SONICA USB and Delta 410 have not new drivers / not compatible with PT.

... unless you have some "top secret insider info" ...

• Members

Welcome to the technology world. I currently have 2 rack products that have been obsoleted by their manufacturers. There is no doubt that something else I currently own will be obsoleted in the very near future as well.

The best defense is to be very careful what hardware you buy, and only buy what you really need. This is especially true with any hardware that is all or mostly digital or computer based. Additionally, it seems to me that lower end gear has a better chance of quick obsolescence than higher end gear does. This is not always true, but in my experience it has been true more often than not. Hence, as Gus mentioned about the 001; well I think the 002 will have a longer life than the 001 did. I also expect the Digi HD series stuff to outlast the 002 stuff. So, buying an M-powered unit saves money, but IMHO it carries a bit more obsolescence risk than a higher end item. YMMV.

Also, don't be loyal to any particular brand because that will make you more vulnerable. Avid doesn't care any more or less about you than any other company does. They certainly don't seem to be any worse about product obsolescence than the average music company behemoth, but I don't have any hard data to prove it.

Bottom line: Let the buyer beware.

• Members

IN typical Digi fashion, in a year or so they will certainly start discontinuing software upgrade compatibility on the M-Audio interfaces as they have on their own, in a continued attempt to force users into unnecessary hardware upgrades to stay up to date with software.

The #1 reason Digi will never get another dime from me.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

IN typical Digi fashion, in a year or so they will certainly start discontinuing software upgrade compatibility on the M-Audio interfaces as they have on their own, in a continued attempt to force users into unnecessary hardware upgrades to stay up to date with software.

The #1 reason Digi will never get another dime from me.

this is what i was talking about...

Originally posted by mobobog

this is what i was talking about...

Again, as Gus said, that's not news for any company... eventually products get discontinued and support (new drivers for new operating systems, etc.) dries up. Companies can only support their old products for so long before changes in computers and operating systems, or heck, even financial concerns pertaining to staff programmer's time and efforts, make that impossble.

So yes, if you're planning on getting an M-Audio interface, eventually it will be discontinued, and eventually it will not be supported in future versions of PT M-P, but as long as you have a compatable computer to run it on and the last compatable version of the software, it should continue to run just as it always has.

• Members

JUST to play devil's advocate, here...

I DO believe that my copy of Sonar 5 (from last year) will play nice with any of my old interfaces back to my old AWE32 from '92 or '93. Not only that, the SoundFont manager built into Sonar would possibly make that old card even more useful.

Just, you know, to play devil's advocate. ;)

• Members

It's in Cakewalk's best interests to sell software that works with anything, because they're in the software business.

Not to turn this into Mac vs. PC, but...it's in Microsoft's best interests to sell software that works with anything, whereas it's in Apple's best interest to sell software that works best with only the latest hardware.

That's the reality of the situation. As Digi is a hardware/software company, I suspect it's in their best interest to follow the Apple model, not the Microsoft one.

That's the reality of the situation. As Digi is a hardware/software company, I suspect it's in their best interest to follow the Apple model, not the Microsoft one.

I'm sure that's how they see it, and I'm sure it makes sense for them - but from a consumer's view, there are certainly advantages (hardware / software compatability, stability, great software and integration with hardware) and disadvantages (locked into specific hardware, limited track count) to that model. I can appreciate both sides of that. :)

More to come... ;)

PS Happy New Year Craig! :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Gus Lozada

Well, that is not news for any company.

Just to clarify, at this moment it has not happened; all current interfaces, from the smallest to the new line, are compatible with PT M-P 7.3.

Will it happen?

Probably.

The key word here being current.

Archived