Need Craig's input on software

steveg

• Members

Hi Craig,

I started reading your articles and books back when you had to wait a month for the US Mail to arrive to get them! Always been a big fan from GP, EM, etc. and really appreciate your many contributions over the years.

I have a question that I would appreciate your input on. I am an accomplished guitarist/composer and experienced recording engineer (day job is computer consulting). I just purchased a 24" iMac and am working on buidling my new personal studio. I am coming from a Windows system with a MOTU 896 and Vegas software.

I would like to have an integrated environment, i.e. LOGIC, where I can do Audio, MIDI and notation together (Loops, etc are a plus) and am leaning toward using a software sythesizer for keyboard and guitar synth triggers. Having worked in many complex environments and I am really wanting something that is well integrated, intuitive and repeatable. While I love hardware synths and outboard gear, I want this system to be all about composing and tracking- hit the red light and go! For example, I took the iMac out of the box and three hours later had already completed a many layered acoustic guitar recording with Garage Band- that is a very good thing and I want to extend that simplcity into a more professional software setup.

Can you recommend what might be a good software synth with the following hints:

Love old style analog stuff, owned a Memory Moog for years ( love to tweak). Need solid and practical strings, piano, horns, drums etc. for composition w/o tweaking :)

I want this to all be fully professional sounding, but very well contained. I have an extensive traditional guitar rig as well and if the computer based modelling bears out, this could also become a live rig (moved onto a laptop model).

Thoughts on Logic versus other studio software? Any feedback is appreciated!

Steve

• Members

I have looked at the websites extensively for Sonik Synth2 ( http://www.soniksynth.com/Main.html?prod_SS&requirements )

and

Native Instruments ( http://www.native-instruments.com )

I like the demo sounds of SonikSynth, but it appears to be more of a sample player, not quite sure if you can really "program" the analog type stuff

I didn't like the sounds of the Native Instruments demos, but I like the way the tool kit appears to work, i.e. a true sound design envirnoment.

Hardware wise I like old analog synths, Triton, Motif, Radias but don't want to deal with external hardware and moving sounds/tracks between devices

Any other options or input is welcome!

Steve

Archived