Burned DVD won't play on Mac

LiveMusic

• Members

A friend video taped a show on his camcorder. He burned me a copy. Let's assume he has a Windows computer. Odds are, he does. I don't have a DVD player in my computer. My bro has a Mac G4. It rejects the disk; it won't play it. Is there likely some kind of Win / Mac conflict here?

• Members

My father burned me a DVD on his relatively new PC. It plays fine on my PC, but on my five and a half year old Mac, instead of the menu showing, I get a display of all the various files. When I click on those files, the videos play perfectly fine.

That's the worst problem I've ever had with cross-platform video DVDs, and have never had a problem with data DVDs of any kind.

• Members

Earlier Macs will only play one format type of DVD. I don't remember if it's the DVD+R or DVD-R format, but the DVD that was recorded on the PC is probably not of the format that the Mac will read. Newer Macs will work with both.

• Members

Yeah, depends on the drive you have in there. You can check your system information and do a little Googling on the drive model#.

It usually isn't terribly difficult to replace the CD/DVD drive. (Not total cake like replacing them in a desktop, but still not too hard.)

Drew

• Members

Just to reiterate -- the finalizing step is crucial in getting a disk that will play "around."

I use a set-top box to record old movies off the "air" (thank you, Fair Use provision of the MCA) and if they aren't "finalized" they won't play in most other players or either of my computers. The file lists DO show up. Once finalized successfully they seem to play okay in my computers. (I DID have problems playing at least a disc or two I burned on my laptop's built in DVD+R -- which is probably at least a 4 year old design -- in my new 16x DVD-/+R.)

Archived