Sneak previews of NAMM's Rose Parade float

Jeff Leites

• Members

So THAT's who those guys were... for a couple minutes I had the parade on before I realized just how boring it still is to me and I saw some (literal) greybeards I thought I recognized as some kind of 70s or 80s country act.

A surprisingly martial float theme for a bunch of music salesman... maybe it's all them ma and pa music shops in the Midwest and South...

Pretty funny.

The eagle looks like he's on a bombing run and just released a Rhodes blockbuster on some poor souls in a bunker below...

I think it needed smoke bombs and pyrotechnic flares to really capture that Back-to-War feeling...

Maybe they should change it to Nationalist Association of Music Merchants...

Especially funny, since it appears NAMM has taken to calling itself "NAMM -- The International Music Products Association"... I don't think this float would fly too well in France, Germany, the UK, or many other international market sectors. Uh, no puns intended.

• Members

excerpted

Originally posted by blue2blue

Maybe they should change it to
Nationalist
Assoication of Music Merchants...

Especially funny, since it appears NAMM has taken to calling itself "NAMM -- The International Music Products Association"... I don't think this float would fly too well in France, Germany, the UK, or many other international market sectors. Uh, no puns intended.

I think they are warming up the new motto:

Believe in music, but...

• Members

Hey, I like bald eagles in attack mode with big US flags waving in the background... like I said, I think it could have used some smokebombs and pyrotechnics... maybe you could do some artillery going off in time to the Star Spangled Banner a la the 1812 Overture (or that Cher video with the New Jersey's big 16 inch -- gun, that is).

I think it doesn't go far enough.

• Members

Now, that's cool. I do love planes. I grew in the flight pattern under the old El Toro Marine Air Station and it rocked. Pretty literally.

I think I turned the TV on right after the fly over 'cause the KTLA paradecasters were falling all over themselves.

Nice to see we're getting some use amortization out of those $2.2 billion a copy planes.

For perspective: 2.2 billion dollars would buy around 145,000 fully loaded Toyota Corollas.

You know, it seems like a whole lot of money when you think of it that way.

OTOH, if you think of it as the equivalent of only 9 days of US operating costs in Iraq, it seems relatively trifling.

It's all dependent on your perspective, of course.

I kept thinking that picture seemed oddly familiar...

RoseParadeEagle-240x240.jpg

... and then I realized WHERE I'd seen it before:

NixonVictory.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff Leites

Now that is weird!

I kinda fell in love with the eagle... it's now my MySpace [personal page] avatar. (I argue politics on their News & Politics BB and, since I'm a Republican but oppose much of my own party's current policies and positions I like to have an avatar with a bit of bite. So to speak.)

• Members

I kinda fell in love with the eagle... it's now my MySpace [
personal page
] avatar. (I argue politics on their News & Politics BB and, since I'm a Republican but oppose much of my own party's current policies and positions I like to have an avatar with a bit of bite. So to speak.)

That would have to be a bit rough when you belong to a party but oppose many of the current policies.

I am registered as independent....and unfortunately, find myself opposing many policies on both sides of the fence!!! :D

Great pair of pictures, btw!!!!!

• Members

I kinda fell in love with the eagle... it's now my MySpace [
personal page
] avatar. (I argue politics on their News & Politics BB and, since I'm a Republican but oppose much of my own party's current policies and positions I like to have an avatar with a bit of bite. So to speak.)

If you happen to see an actual conservative around, let me know! :eek:-~

I would even settle for somebody that even understood the definition of a democratic republic and the specifics set forth for the administration of our republic, as set forth by The United States Constitution.

I feel like I live in bizarro world.

And yeah, great pics and posts, blueman! :thu:-~

And the scary part is you can probably find a pic of Hitler or any other asshole in the same mold.

Symbolic propoganda is the basis for the majority opinion.

I've seen a comparison of a picture of a Hitler rally compared with crowds in the Mall in Washington. The similarities are striking. The placement of objects, symbols, and general arrangement are all the same.

I'm of the opinion that a flag is nothing more than symbolic propoganda. A flag is designed to provoke a reaction. Flying a flag and burning a flag are one in the same. A symbolic demonstration designed to provoke a reaction.

Although, I believe in the United States Constitution and the ideals this country were founded on, I just put no stock in an object. I put stock in actions. The road to Iraq is paved with good intentions.

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

That would have to be a bit rough when you belong to a party but oppose many of the current policies.

I am registered as independent....and unfortunately, find myself opposing many policies on both sides of the fence!!!
:D

Screw those jokers! I'm voting Libertarian and/or Nader!

• Members

Well... I will admit that in a weak moment I have previously said, at least once, that I would give serious thought to becoming a Democrat again (I renounced my party membership after coming home from voting for Mike Dukakis) so I could vote for Obama in the primary.

From about 4 minutes into his keynote at the 2000 Demo convention, my political radar was up...

Despite his exotic name and backstory, he has that all-American aw shucks charisma of a Jimmy Stewart/Gary Cooper type, yet his intelligence comes through sharp as a tack.

The fact that he leans toward pragmatic fiscal conservatism -- but, unlike the Blue Dogs, didn't support the Iraq invasion further endears him to me.

But now we're starting to drift, ever so slightly, into readily identifiable politics... so I'll just stow it.

:D

Archived