CRT to LCD Monitor on DAW: What to Expect??

• Members

Hello,

I'm about ready to buy a 19" LCD monitor for my DAW and thought I'd post a question here before dropping $200+...

Previously I was using a 17" CRT (which of course induces buzz into passive guitar pickups). I researched enough to realize that I should choose an LCD monitor with a decent response time (8ms or less) and decent contrast ratio, etc. But generally speaking, will the move from CRT to LCD be enjoyable as I hope - or are there any other drawbacks I should be aware of regading an LCD monitor in a DAW environment?

Thanks,

Sonic

• Members

Okay, so I went and bought a monitor this afternoon and got it all hooked up. Wow!!! What a difference! The only drawback I noticed is it's a little hard to see when standing up recording while looking at a downward angle. Easily solved though with a slight tilt of the monitor...

I bought a Samsung 931b 19" monitor and it's GREAT! Only thing I'm not sure about is if I need to install the driver....I intentionally avoid installing ANYTHING I don't absolutely have to on my DAW since it's W2K - and things now days seem to have a potential risk of introducing problems on that older operating system. Any idea if it's okay to keep using the default W2K video driver, or is there a potential for damage to the monitor if I don't install the Samsung driver?? Also, the OS is giving me two refresh options - 60hz and 75hz. Isn't 75hz the better option for a faster refresh rate? (The Samsung manual suggests setting the refresh to 60hz - implying reduced eye fatigue. I always thought FASTER refresh rates were better...)

Sonic

• Members

I'm getting ready to do the same thing as the OP has just done, and I was told that refresh rate really isn't an issue for LCD monitors and that 60 hz should be fine. Haven't verified that experimentally but thought I'd pass it on.

A question that occurred to me with this shift--and that may be an issue for the OP-- is, do you need to get new drivers for your graphic card (or a new card?) if you go to a widescreen LCD monitor from a standard 4:3 CRT? For instance, the LCD I'm looking at buying has a native resolution of 1680 by 1050, but that's not one of the options my current card gives (1600 by 1200 is the closest).

• Members

If it works, you don't need new drivers. A lot of the drivers are really control panels for using special features, like you find with dual-head graphics cards, or are "improvements" on the standard Windows option of right-clicking on your desktop and setting resolution and such.

60Hz should work just fine with LCDs due to the slow response time compared to CRTs. If you see flicker at 60Hz, then up the refresh rate.

The one time where refresh rate might be crucial is with a dual or triple head graphics card. Some video folks use one or two LCDs along with a CRT as a reality check (the colors are more accurate/consistent with CRTs). Generally the refresh rate is that of the slowest monitor in the system, so if you set the LCD to 60Hz, you need to set the CRT similarly. Better to set them all to a higher refresh rate.

• Members

Guys, *help*

I'm trying to do the same LCD upgrade, but I'm doing it on an ancient Mac with a (DB-15) monitor connection.

Is there any(or all) LCD monitor or that will work for this? Is there a special adapter or conversion kit needed?

Thanks

-J

Archived