Unplayed Piano

deanmass

• Members

One of my friends is technically a member of the Burmese royal family. Her parents, technically a prince and princess, were both physicians who'd emigrated to the US many years ago. The were both under official death sentence placed on them in absentia by the military dictatorship.

The dictatorship spends 50% of the Burmese gross domestic product on the military.

The enemy?

The Burmese people.

• Members

I had the pleasure of meeting Aung San Suu Kyi several years ago. She is every bit as articulate and elegant as you would think she is, a truly admirable woman who will stand up for her rights in the face of extreme adversity. The current military regime of Burma (Myanmar) is, by any measure, one of the most brutal dictatorial regimes in the world today. She is every bit deserving of her Nobel Peace Prize.

After we met her, we were followed by the Burmese military for two days, and one of my friends got books and film confiscated. I've never been so scared in my life.

If you are interested, please read the following detailed account of my meeting with Aung San Suu Kyi on my web site. There are also some photographs that I took of her, which have been subsequently published in several magazines and are used on some pro-democracy web sites for Burma.

• Members

Ken, I remember your post.....Beyond Rangoon I don't think is out on DVD for some reason, but maybe that changed. I had to buy a used copy off eBay. I was toying with the idea of running it to QT file, but have nto gotten around to it. I think she is a noble woman, worthy of more publicity. That movie is emotional, and impactful to anyone who has not sen it on many levels. It deals with handling personal tragedy really well, with larger picture political overtones.

• Members

Originally posted by deanmass

Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan released this
amazing song
, dedicated to widening awareness of the only Nobel Peace Prize being held in captivity.

Just to clarify, a Nobel Peace Prize winner is being held in captivity, not the actual prize... :D:D

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.... :D

I'm happy that some people are trying to draw attention to this sort of thing. It's one of the biggest tragedies, so horrible that people who are so peaceful and trying for democracy can be treated so poorly for so long, and be ignored by the rest of the world. It's a strong indicator of how countries will invade other countries for self-interest primarily, not so much for altruism, or surely some countries would have stepped in long ago to stop one of the most brutal regimes in modern times.

I saw "Beyond Rangoon" when it was in the theatres, and was glad that it was made.

I figured you'd remember the web site and our meeting with this incredible person. To say that meeting her is akin to meeting the Dalai Lama or Gandhi would not be overstating her significance, character, or fortitude.

• Members

Hey, gimme a break! It was late/early!:)

I would not care if the PRIZE were held...

I always get frustrated when people like her are trapped, and we can always ( as a country, militarily) devote so much money and energy to chasing a ghost like Bin Laden I'd bet 10 of our S.E.A.L.S could get her out in an hour, but the fallout would be tremendous.

I do not know how many of you are aware of another single person who SHOULD be in prison, but, here.

Makes me sick to think she is locked up and he is roaming around...

Archived