OT: Will Your Next Meal Be Cloned?

Geoff Grace

• Members

Who, Who, Who do you know that asked for this?

The Producers don't want it because most consumers find it creepy. The Trade people don't want it because by opening up our market to non-disclosed entry of clones we actually taint the value of our export meat products.

Any pronouncement that is released by government just before a holiday weekend is being buried. They did not want you to know about it.

This one stinks.

If anybody wants some more reading on this, here are a few places to start.

Take a look at this story from 2005. to get a sense of the timeline. A company called Viagen (also mentioned in the NYT article) has been one of a very few companies involved in the production of cloned animals. They were expecting a go ahead from Lester Crawford's FDA but then Lester gets gone (for cause and a Justice Department investigation).

Now suddenly, this file is unlocked. What has changed?

The founders of Viagen are on the faculty of Texas A&M.

I think that I was just reading something about Texas A&M. Oh yeah, now I remember.

So, the same administration that gets all breathless about genetic research when it might be used for humans with PD or Alzheimers, is willing to get way out ahead of popular opinion on cloned cows and pigs. Go figure.

I have a pretty good notion of why some people in the administration believe in this apparently contradictory position. However that notion takes this into political forum territory and I'm not headed there. I will link to a source and you decide. Our meditation today is on "dominion"

• Members

I believe my last meal was cloned.:D

Truth is, we could already be eating cloned animals, and have been doing so for quite some time. We think we know what's going on, but we really don't. Before cloned animals were all the rage, there were rumors that a certain world famous fast food place was considering, or already using, cloned cows. Then again, there was the rumor about their burgers being horsemeat, too, so hey...

I love clones in sci-fi, but with this bunch of humans? "Notsomuch".

Peace

• Members

My understanding is that you don't eat the clone. The clones are used for breeding purposes, so you actually are eating the children of the clones. Which sounds like a cool idea for a sci-fi book.

Originally posted by ViLo

I'm a vegatarian so...........Have a cow maaaan!
:D

Yeah, just watch out for the green onions and the spinach.:D

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

Hi. Welcome to Deja Vu Burger... where you next burger tastes
exactly
like the one before it.

They already do. The taste isn't in the meat, it's in the chemicals they use with the meat. They've got that stuff perfected.

The cloning allows you to breed the perfect animal for food and then reproduce it.

By the way, I know the government has said clones are safe, but I thought they have not lifted rules regarding labeling and so forth.

Archived