man 43 wins 124 million and dies in less than year

techristian

• Members

Matthew 19:24...?

How is it fair... he ALREADY had a '63 Corvette!

'Course, last time I checked they weren't ferrying those to the Hereafter, either.

Way back when, seems like I read about a guy who won three times on a row on a Vegas roulette table -- betting it all each time on number 31.

Then, many many tens of thousands richer (IIRC) he went upstairs in the hotel and blew out his brains.

Everytime I hear this song, I think about that guy:

Sin City

Words and Music by Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman

This old town is filled with sin,

It'll swallow you in

If you've got some money to burn.

Take it home right away,

You've got three years to pay

But Satan is waiting his turn

This old earthquake's gonna leave me in the poor house.

It seems like this whole town's insane

On the thirty-first floor your gold plated door

Won't keep out the Lord's burning rain

The scientists say

It'll all wash away

But we don't believe any more

Cause we've got our recruits

And our green mohair suits

So please show you ID At the door.

A friend came around.

Tried to clean up this town,

His ideas made some people mad.

But he trusted his crowd,

So he spoke right out loud

And they lost the best friend they had

On the thirty-first floor your gold plated door

Won't keep out the Lord's burning rain

I always wonder if Gram or Chris read about the same guy...

PS... That news story became a WHOLE lot LESS perplexing after one of my friends, whose father worked for, er, shall we say, a family business (a strip bar in a Midwestern river town know for being wide open), told me the story of going to Vegas with his old man.

They were only in town for two days and his father spent virtually the whole of the first day in the hotel room. In the evening he got a phone call, didn't say much, hung up, went down stairs, put $10,000 on a single number on a roulette table, won, colleced several hundred thousand dollars, parked it in the hotel safe, and went back up to his room.

His son was beside himself. But the father was matter of fact. "This doesn't have anything to do with us. The money isn't ours. Don't get excited."

And that was all he said about it.

• Members

Originally posted by offramp

About what?

What would happen to YOU if you won that amount? You could eat the richest foods and drink the best wine and would have all kinds of time on your hands to eat and drink even more ! Or would you be able to exercise restraint ? Is it possible that this man went from perfectly healthy to perfectly unhealthy in 1 year from overexcess or.....

Did someone poison him to get this money?

My feeling is that this man may have lived a much longer life had he NOT won the money. Of course that is only my feeling. I could be completely wrong. I never personally knew the man. Maybe he gave 1/2 of it away to the poor.

We had similar case in my town. A guy won more than a million and spent it all on new cars and a huge home. He was broke in less than 5 years and died shortly after..............pennyless.

Dan

• Members

I was thinking along the same lines, Dan.

"Good fortune" can produce big stress, just like bad fortune. Sudden money, sudden change... all of a sudden old friends treat you differently... people you would have never dreamed would be envious appear very much to be, despite their best efforts. People want things...

Tumult. Personal paradigm shift. Stress.

Coming into a wad of money sounds pretty easy until it happens to you. Some people never recover. Some people almost consciously work to throw it all away. Others become defensive and protective. It seems to me that the people who can just relax and enjoy good fortune may be in the minority...

Mind you, it's trouble most of us would wish for. But it's often trouble that folks don't handle all that well, nonetheless.

• Members

Several years ago I recall mistakenly thinking I had won $2000.00 on a game that Coca Cola was sponsoring with pop bottle caps, or tabs. According to the game rules, everyone else around me thought that I had won also. In the short time that it took awaiting for the weekend to get over so that I could call Coca Cola Corporation, I remember how EVERYONE and their dog was telling me that I could afford to buy them dinner with my winnings. EVERYONE, people that I was not really even friends with were telling me that I could share the wealth and splurge a bit for everybody.

It was really an eerie feeling how people just seemed to crawl out of the woodwork. I finally got to the point to where I started telling people that if I paid for everyone that had ask me to share the wealth, I would actually be $2,000.00 in the rear rather than $2,000.00 richer.

When Monday rolled around, I was not nearly as disappointed as I should have been in learning there was a "clause" in the contest that had not been fulfilled.... The contest rules were very deceptive and misleading to contestants... so there was no prize money. It was almost a relief telling folks that they were going to have to buy me dinner since I was poor again. :D

• Members

PS... That news story became a WHOLE lot LESS perplexing after one of my friends, whose father worked for, er, shall we say, a family business (a strip bar in a Midwestern river town know for being wide open), told me the story of going to Vegas with his old man.

They were only in town for two days and his father spent virtually the whole of the first day in the hotel room. In the evening he got a phone call, didn't say much, hung up, went down stairs, put $10,000 on a single number on a roulette table, won, colleced several hundred thousand dollars, parked it in the hotel safe, and went back up to his room.

His son was beside himself. But the father was matter of fact. "This doesn't have anything to do with us. The money isn't ours. Don't get excited."

Definitely sounds like business associated with the FAMILY to me.... It is doubtful that the man pulled the trigger himself regardless of what information was released to the coroner and immediate family. I can almost assure you that the son did not walk away with the money stored inside the safe, although it would have belonged to the man's rightful heirs.

• Members

Originally posted by Ani

Definitely sounds like business associated with the FAMILY to me....

Yeah... I don't know about the guy in the original newspaper story (which would have been the early 60s).

But, pretty much for sure, the story my friend told me (which probably would have been the 70s) related to money that wanted to move from one node of a certain set of people to another node but didn't want to leave a trail. Money has a way of doing that in some business milieus.

Ed...

I bow to your better scriptural knowledge. Good call.

Back to Ani...

Imagine what it would have been like if they thought you'd won 2 million dollars. Or $208 million.

• Members

Sometimes the things that we THINK we want are not the best for us. We are like children who want to eat the whole chocolate cake and no meat or vegetables.

My wife reminds me of Luke 12 many times. "Bigger and bigger barns" that is why STORAGE companies are so profitable today.

Dan

• Members

Imagine what it would have been like if they thought you'd won 2 million dollars. Or $208 million.

That thought crossed my mind, at the time, and has continued to dwell as many years have passed.

...related to money that wanted to move from one node of a certain set of people to another node but didn't want to leave a trail

This has been an extremely sensitive subject for me for the last 20 years, and it is especially difficult right now.

In brief, my mother was the victim of an organized crime hit 20 years ago this coming February. It's really ironic how all the medical records are made to reflect natural causes, and yet, the threats leading up to the death and the post incidents immediately following the death stamp a signature of the mercenary on their victim. With all the warning signs prior to death, one knows that a full scale investigation would be futile and that the person initiating it could easily become a target if they pursued the issue.

What is sad is the fact that the bad guys are often the wolves in sheeps' linen. The villains are the heros and sometimes the biggest criminals are the lawmakers and the enforcers.

This year, a few days after Christmas, I learned that the family member responsible for my mother's death died in a one man car crash. He was a professionally contracted mercenary that shared "too much information" with my mother... he warned her prior to her death that "THEY", whoever the hell they were, had threatened him with her life.... He said that "THEY" were asking him to do things that he didn't want to do anymore and told him that he would do them or else.

I remember when he came to town sporting his first Mercedes' Benz; his thirst for wealth was evident and it was apparent that he would stop at nothing to achieve his ultimate high in life... fortune. He owned three Benz's as well as several different homes in different states by the time he had reached his late 20's. Although he and I grew up together as children, being only a month apart in age, I could not find any part of me capable of grieving when I learned about his death.

All I could do was acknowledge the news of his death and express condolences; my words were without emotion. I did not go to his funeral, nor did I seek to learn of it's time or whereabouts; it may be tomorrow. He turned 47 on December 14th and lived his whole life in the fast lane.

I feel guilty that I am feeling so calloused and without compassion. In the very sparse conversation that has been discussed around my immediate family members, I said to my brother, "I guess Ron's lifestyle finally caught up with him" to which my brother replied, "Yeah, it was bound to happen sooner or later." I am sure that those will be the final words of discussion that I will partake in with family members surrounding my cousin's death. I guess someone ordered an investigation surrounding the accident, but I really don't care to know the results.... That's sad that I should feel that way about anyone.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this has been weighing heavy on me. Is it wrong to feel relief instead of grief?

• Members

Originally posted by techristian

It makes you think.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/147743.htm?p=1

Dan

I get the gist of your post, and I appreciate your thoughts, but things like that only reaffirm my belief that life and all things in the universe are random, chaotic, and arbitrary.

Humans have the uncanny knack for reducing their odds of survival, however. :(

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

No, I'm sorry we stumbled into what's undoubtedly a painful subject for you.

That's okay, it's something that a person learns to live with after time. It's just that right now, with the news of my cousin's death, all of the memories have resurfaced.

It's almost as though a new dimension of a healing process has just begun.

• Moderators

I've often felt that if I were to win 100 million dollars, that in some way "it would all be over". There would be nothing left to strive for...

But the truth is, there is always something to strive for. Knowledge can't be bought. Nor can wisdom, or spirituality. Unfortunately I can see how all that dough could blind you to those facts.:idea:

• Members

Originally posted by Ani

That's okay, it's something that a person learns to live with after time. It's just that right now, with the news of my cousin's death, all of the memories have resurfaced.

It's almost as though a new dimension of a healing process has just begun.

I'm sure that's true. Hang in there, Ani.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

I've often felt that if I were to win 100 million dollars, that in some way "it would all be over". There would be nothing left to strive for...

But the truth is, there is always something to strive for. Knowledge can't be bought. Nor can wisdom, or spirituality. Unfortunately I can see how all that dough could blind you to those facts.
:idea:

I agree.. i could handle the 100 million and stay focused...

on writing a killer song for the ages, on catching a really amazing wave, on staying in shape, on seeing the world. I could actually use the hours from 9-5 Monday-Fridays to pursue those things.

The main thing that would be "over" for me would be the stress associated with providing for my family and for my financial future.

I could definitely handle that.

Of course, Its unlikely this will ever happen to me since I never throw money at the lottery. FWIW- Ive even spent some time in Vegas without gambling.

• Members

Well, we don't know if the guy went into gluttony or not, and I'm relieved that you noted that, Dan, as I was concerned there were assumptions on your part. We do know that he spent a good portion of his fortune helping other family members.

For me, it's this: that I could die a year from winning the lottery means nothing to me. I could also die a year from not winning the lottery. Therefore, I play it. I've certainly had a lot of time to think about what I'd do with it, a lot of time to rehearse things in my head. And as for people coming out of the woodwork...well, I'm already pretty much a loner, so those folks will be easy to spot a mile away. I already have a list of who gets what, anyway.

I'll enjoy it when it comes. And I'm certainly old enough to know that going on a mondo spending spree ain't gonna do {censored} for me, immediately or spiritually; yes, I have some things I'd like to get, and they're pretty much centered around pursuing a dream or two. Otherwise, there's a number of things I'd like to contribute to, some things to either get in motion or add a boost to.

And I will admit, I might like to have a '63 'Vette, like our protagonist. But that's mostly because I was born in '63 (and enjoy the older 'vette style), not because I need to impress anyone. It would, in all likelihood, be my most superfulous expenditure. I'd probably own it for a couple of years, then sell it. However, I'm really at a point where something like that isn't a priority.

A nice, big SSL console and killer studio ranks higher than that.:D

• Members

My mother used to have a saying that went,

"Put a beggar on horseback and he'll ride to the Devil."

I've often noticed that people who earn their riches or who grew up with money are far more down to earth and focussed than poor people who suddenly come into great wealth.

Archived