the PLAY > AND FASTFORWARD BUTTONS >>

techristian

• Members

I doubt it will provide much of a stumbling block as it can be tightly associated with the "reading direction" of Romantic languages, etc

Could tere be confusion in other language families like your various Arabic? possibly, but English source L10N of those right now can be a nighmare (arabic Windows makes me kinda seasick)

• Members

Those symbols/buttons are among the few universals in our user interfaces. It's unfortunate that the placement of the buttons in relation to each other isn't consistent between devices. (esp with consumer devices) Those buttons also should be included on all computer keyboards. I want to have the ability to easily find and use the transport controls of any device in the dark. Is that too much to ask?

• Members

Originally posted by Hard Truth

I want to have the ability to easily find and use the transport controls of any device in the dark. Is that too much to ask?

I hear ya -- a lot of my blind friends have the same prob...and I really grew to love players that had tacticle markers (like the home-row index finger nubs on alphabetic keyboards or a few compact cass players I've had over the years)

• Members

Originally posted by techristian

Just a thought. Will someone be using the > and >> symbols for PLAY and FForward 100 years from now ? What about Rewind

Dan

I think that symbols such as these will be used for an extremely long time even though we likely won't have tape machines. And We tend to think in linear terms, and these symbols are very much, er, in line with that (pardon the bad pun! :D ). Also, the symbols are self-explanatory and easy to understand and universal.

• Members

I occurrs to me that we really have a couple of questions here

Will they be used?

. Will someone be using the > and >> symbols for PLAY and FForward 100 years from now ? What about Rewind

AND

will they prevent other systems from being used?

. Will these symbols become a stumbling block to the future of a new playback-recording system in the future much as QWERTY has held back DVORAK ??

I kind of doubt that they will be a "stumbling block" other systems from developing as

the buttons can live in parallel with other input methods (such as a jog/shuttle wheel, keyed or pointer-driven random access methods, quasi-random access of memory points...like playback "tracks", etc)

we are talking about, essentially, time flow which is a well-ordered continuum and even has a default (local) rate...so, esp for playback, "play" seems a robust concept (with it's compliment "record")

for editing - the random-access methods can be quite useful (but again, those can live in parallel and one may still wish to use "playback mode" as they review the edits)

for playback > -- well those have been used in 2 ways even in serial-access devices (such as tape)....as a free-form accellerators (and here, scaling might be important, on current gen playback devices, there is still tuning going on here...accelleration depending on how long one holds the button, intelligent scaling based on track length, etc) and/or as selectors of pre-determined points (tracklists or "cue points")

So they may have a lot of life left in em, esp for playback modes and/or where UI real-estate is at a premium

• Members

Originally posted by veracohr

:confused:

The thought is that the popularity of QWERTY has held back the DVORAK configuration

for mechanical elements, there are the relatively obvious concerns (the mechanism in a mechanical typewriter, the keycaps on keys themselves)

in SW, there can still be stumbling blocks (like how many systems will keep the CNTL key mapping in lockstep with the Alpha keys, so traditional stuff like block selection/manipulation -- CNTL z,x,c,v,b and such...."stay" with their alpha keys on DVORAK and get scattered around the board)

then there's just the hassle of "running the other one" -- you jump on a terminal and it's prob going to be configured QWERTY...which just makes ploping down and entering some stuff less fluid (even with multi-key-configs loaded...just another layer of "oh let me switch" 00 so just leaning over someone and making a quick change to some text becomes more of an ordeal)

So it's kind of thing about "cultral momentum" much like current and electron flow or trad v simplified Chinese

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

I hear ya -- a lot of my blind friends have the same prob...and I really grew to love players that had tacticle markers (like the home-row index finger nubs on alphabetic keyboards or a few compact cass players I've had over the years)

This is not just good for blind players. If the software is written extremely well, you will be able to record and punch in without use of a monitor. You could leave the the computer in the control room and all you will need is a wireless keyboard in the instrument/recording room. A soloist will be able to control the transport completely and remotely.

Dan

Archived