Powered amps plugged directly into interface outputs, bad idea?

shniggens

• CMS Author

Originally posted by shniggens

Am I asking for trouble having my headphone amp and powered monitors plugged directly into my MOTU DAW interface outputs?

Is it really necessary to spend more $$$ on some kind of monitor management mixer?

You need a volume control somewhere. Just about all headphone amplifiers have a volume control for each output conveniently located on the front panel, so that's not a problem. Most powered monitors, however, have an input sensitivity control on the back which can serve as a volume control, but is primarily there to match the speakers to your audio interface so that you get a reasonable listening volume unless something goes wroing.

If you have no need for a volume control, then just hook them up, set the control on the back for a workable listening volume, and you'll be good. But most people like to be able to turn it up a little, turn it down a little, and turn it way down when the phone rings but they don't want to stop the music.

So a monitor controller is a matter of convenience, not necessity.

• Members

Originally posted by MikeRivers

So a monitor controller is a matter of convenience, not necessity.

There was some chatter going on over at the Cubase forum about DAW crashes causing extreme, potentially damaging noise.

Has never happened to me, though.

• Members

Am I asking for trouble having my headphone amp and powered monitors plugged directly into my MOTU DAW interface outputs?

No, but some inconvenience. You need a volume control for your monitors. What MOTU hardware do you have? Most of them have dedicated monitor outs with a volume control. If your particular model doesn't have one, check into something like the Samson C-Control or a small mixer.

AFA headphones, yes from the outs to the hp amp is the correct method, and you control the mix from however you set up the outs within your DAW, typically from prefader aux sends.

• Members

This is the post on the other forum that got me thinking -

"No one is silly enough to connect their convertor outputs straight to their monitor amps are they, and only controlling volume via software???"

And I thought to myself, I AM that silly.

• Members

You've received good answers.

Also, the line outputs of an audio interface or D/A reduce bits as they lower the output gain. You may or may not hear this decimation, but to eliminate this and for best signal-to-noise you should have an analog gain control before your power amp inputs.

Archived