vocal effects for studio setup

Stella Joop

• Members

i am looking for some outboard gear to replace and upgrade what i have now. we are going through an overhaul.

we have been getting our vocal sound (electro garagerock type of band) by running it through the amplitube plugin set to a vox ac30 sound with some reverb. it has sounded pretty good but we need to step it up alittle. so i'd like to find a unit that can get some drive on the vocals and just a little bit of a warm dirty slightly "radioed-out" type sound, fairly easily and higher qaulity than that amplitube plugin.

thanks a bunch for any ideas.

• Moderators

What I just tried for that kind of sound (plug ins in Pro Tools) is a Massey Compressor squashing pretty heavily, into a Massey THC distortion plugin. Turn down the output gain of the compressor to lighten up on the overdrive. Then a Digi EQ III at the end of the chain with the HPF and LPF controling how much bandwidth I'm allowing through.

This offers a lot of flexiblity and of course you could achieve the same thing with like minded plugins. Also... try putting another eq right before the distortion to shape the overdrive a little more. You can use it to "punch holes" into the distortion with a lot of control as to the final character.

While I think it's cool to run vocals through guitar amps, sometimes it's not as flexible as you might need. The chain above is very flexible.

Try the chain above as an aux send too. That can be cool. Send it then, to delays and filters, modulation, and verbs for even more fun. :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

What I just tried for that kind of sound (plug ins in Pro Tools) is a Massey Compressor squashing pretty heavily, into a Massey THC distortion plugin. Turn down the output gain of the compressor to lighten up on the overdrive. Then a Digi EQ III at the end of the chain with the HPF and LPF controling how much bandwidth I'm allowing through.

This offers a lot of flexiblity and of course you could achieve the same thing with like minded plugins. Also... try putting another eq right before the distortion to shape the overdrive a little more. You can use it to "punch holes" into the distortion with a lot of control as to the final character.

While I think it's cool to run vocals through guitar amps, sometimes it's not as flexible as you might need. The chain above is very flexible.

Try the chain above as an aux send too. That can be cool. Send it then, to delays and filters, modulation, and verbs for even more fun.
:eek:

thanks lee. i appreciate the response. we have done similar to this before but with very limited plug-ins. perhaps i need some much more powerful plugin to help shape our vocal sounds.

are there any vocal bundles that anyone would recommend? or what software would you recommend for vocal performance?

• Moderators

Great. The free DigiIII EQ's and Compressors are fine. If you haven't installed them you should. The Massey stuff is free in it's demo form and just won't remember where you set the controls when you reopen a session. Try the THC demo from his website. It's an awesome distortion. The compressor too. You can buy the full functioning version for $65. All his stuff is beyond belief. Really good. Set it up with chain I recommended above and it'll rock.

www.masseyplugins.com

• Members

Great. The free DigiIII EQ's and Compressors are fine. If you haven't installed them you should. The Massey stuff is free in it's demo form and just won't remember where you set the controls when you reopen a session. Try the THC demo from his website. It's an awesome distortion. The compressor too. You can buy the full functioning version for $65. All his stuff is beyond belief. Really good. Set it up with chain I recommended above and it'll rock.

www.masseyplugins.com

wow :eek: thanks so much lee for your time. im going to go check that site out. 65 bucks, great.

i think i may pick up the orange vocoder plug-in for 100 bucks off ebay too while im at it and have all the vocal issues under control. :thu:

• Moderators

Originally posted by Bionic Muffins

im glad to see that they are mute free and blip free. man...we have had serious issues with the amplitube going "thwwweeet" "pshhhtt" and all that during vocal takes in teh past.
:mad:

With the Massey demos, just set it all up las you like, then bounce the voice and fx soloed to have you effect vox take. That way you can overcome the demo limitation. Once you do that a couple of times though, you'll probably just buy the things as I have. It's a pretty useful and smart demo paradigm.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Bionic Muffins

i'll give the demos a try when i get home.
:thu:

hey lee, while i have you here...do you have any idea how to get the BV512 vocoder to work in reason for vocoding vocals? man it is tough to figure out even with the manual.
:freak::o

No sorry... I'm no Reason expert. Can't you use it in Pro Tools? If there is no RTAS, you might consider the VST to RTAS wrapper. That way you can use any of the freebe vst plugs in Pro Tools as well.

Come to think of it, Reason doesn't have audio tracks. How were you planning to use a plug on your voice in Reason? Or am I misunderstanding?

• Members

No sorry... I'm no Reason expert. Can't you use it in Pro Tools? If there is no RTAS, you might consider the VST to RTAS wrapper. That way you can use any of the freebe vst plugs in Pro Tools as well.

Come to think of it, Reason doesn't have audio tracks. How were you planning to use a plug on your voice in Reason? Or am I misunderstanding?

i wasnt planning on using plug ins on my voice in reason.

it is very complicated how they want you to use the reason vocoder. i dont even want to start trying to explain what it says to do. :o;)

i may start a thread for it. :thu:

Archived