Large file transfers

relayer66

• Members

Hey, what is everyone's preferred method of transferring large files these days? Our latest project has about 100 .wav files of around 300MB each. My friend is sending them to me for mixing, and I hoped to get them faster than snail mail permits. We are using Skype to transfer them, but it is really slow. It's taking between 2 to 6 hours per file. What other options are available?

• Members

100 300 MB files to transfer?

I'd give serious consideration to FedEx. 12 or 15 bucks and it's done. (Well, there is the burning of 8 or 10 DVDs.)

There ARE solutions like www.YouSendIt.com and Pando. (I think YouSendIt's free to 100 MB per file. Pando's is 1 GB -- but I haven't used Pando. YouSendIt is USUALLY okay but I've had some issues) and some others. But if you don't have a fat upstream it's gonna take forever. And it might, anyhow. That's a LOT of ones and zeroes.

Have you considered just packing the band up in a big shipping crate and sending that? :D

• Members

For about $50/yr you can secure server space, and, providing you have a good, highspeed connection (Broadband or better) you can ftp them. That's how we do pretty much all our file transfers to mastering houses.

Otherwise, FW drives (one as your offsite backup and one you ship, plus the master drive) and Fedex/UPS is your friend.

• Members

I deal with the same issue, and the problem really boils down to upstream bandwidth. Unless you have Fiber like the Verizon FiOS deployed (and it is working at its rated speeds) there is nothing to support that volume of files.

In IL, AT&T is expecting to roll a fiber product in limited areas. I'm hoping to get lucky, Here's hoping you do too. :thu:

If you don't have to send, just tell your partner to look into Fiber.

Found this story regarding the Chicago suburban rollout which has become quite muddled.

• CMS Author
Originally posted by relayer66

Hey, what is everyone's preferred method of transferring large files these days? Our latest project has about 100 .wav files of around 300MB each. My friend is sending them to me for mixing, and I hoped to get them faster than snail mail permits.

What's your hurry? Is he paying you for waiting time? Send it on a hard drive by overnight delivery. But make sure he has a backup before they lose it. ;)

• Members

although I have never sent any file bigger than 100mb, I do send through www.yousendit.com a lot. The free version lets you send up to 100mb per file while for members its up to 1gb.

Yahoo messenger also lets you send up to 100 mb per file while you chat. I've done that a lot too, and it doesn't take me an hour to send 80mb on our DSL if that is any indication.

• Members

Originally posted by MikeRivers

What's your hurry? Is he paying you for waiting time? Send it on a hard drive by overnight delivery. But make sure he has a backup before they lose it.
;)

Good call. I must have been dozing when I wrote about burning DVDs...

Archived